1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

another oDrive 6dof

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Barnpilot, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Barnpilot

Barnpilot New Member

Balance:
    54Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi everyone,

I am a 58 old IT-guy and married to a very understanding woman. :)
    I've been playing games since Pong I've never stopped when growing up.

Simulators fascinated me most I like racing although I never have a chance against the kids online

I’m interested in Flightsims since Microsoft Flightsim on the C64 - When I was about 25 a good friend, who was a Pilot, took me to the Lufthansa-Simulator in Frankfurt.

Since then, I dreams of my own Platform.
    With a friend we were planing to build our own using hydraulic but didn’t realized it. This was about 1990.

Last year I build a cockpit using 3 x 55“ Monitors 2 x Arduino's, 2 Touch-panels lots of encoders, switches and knobs.

When I found motions-simulator-platforms on youTube I knew, that I need to build one.
    So I studied the xsimulator site for the last 2 month.

The way I’m going is the oDrive way for the following reason:
    1. I like the design - looks like hydraulic actuators
    2. The oDrive cabling is very straight- Motor plus encoder cable to oDrive- PSU to oDrive, Odrive to PC - thats all.
    3. Thank to silentChill and PeterW this build is very good documented.silentChill work in particular is fantastic. He provided all plans, CAD-files and setups for oDrive and FlyPT-Mover
    So , after reading the building thread from SilentChill (3-4 times), watching the videos where he builds his actuator live (watched it 5 times at last :)) I started ordering the parts for the supplied list.

Some parts I had to change, because for example in Germany is’s not cheap to get a land rover UI bearing, but I got a similar from a jeep. And there is no way to get extended u-bolts.

Just needed to rebuild the part in Fusion360 and adapted it to the new bearing.

I build a CNC router 3 years ago, so I had some experience with 3D CAD/CAM.

I bought an Anycubic Mega-s 3D printer and started printing. I tried petG but after 1 day of trying I changed to PLA+ which is so much simpler to print. As there is only forces perpendicular to the layers, I think is is ok.

The printing part is - apart the fact that I still need to work sometimes - the delaying factor. On the Anycubic it takes up to 9 hours for one part with 70% to 100% infill. Don’t know if other printers are so much faster?

I connect the Odrive, downloaded the shipping-configuration and tried to compare the json-file with the one supplied by SilentChill. First i wanted to adjust the settings to the current firmware but after I Saw that SilentChill used the same hardware revision I flashed it with the supplied firmware , loaded the json , changes some minor parameters, installed FlyPt-Mover, NoLimits-2 and … it Motors starts calibrating and then turning. So far so good.

So next steps are: printing, printing, printing

I cut my alu-tubes, but before I assemble the first actuator I have find out, where the zero-point of the actuator is. At the bottom or in the middle ?.

So, thats all for the this time. I hope my englisch is’t that bad.

Again I want to thank all at xsimulator and especially FlyPT for his wonderful software and SilentChill - without all his videos and data this would be a much much harder build.

First pic

image.jpeg
    • Like Like x 4
  2. PeterW

PeterW alias Wickie

Dipl. Ing. Mb (FH)
    Balance:
    1,608Coins
    Ratings:
    +360 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi Barnpilot!
    Wellcome at the stage !:thumbs
    So nice to see another Odrive-Simulator become real! Building a sim is such a satisfying project.
    I wish you all the best for your project and hope you will keep us all up to date!
    Wickie
  3. Barnpilot

Barnpilot New Member

Balance:
    54Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hallo Wickie,

thank you for the welcome.
    your simulator looks the most professional by far. I will not find the time to make it that perfekt.
    But mine doesn't have to be suitable for living room either :)

Many thanks again for all the research .

Einen guten Abend noch

Klaus
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Dschadu

Dschadu Active Member

Balance:
    1,933Coins
    Ratings:
    +143 / 1 / -0
    Nice to see another build with ODrive.
    A few things to help you with these things:
    Use the firmware SilentChill has on his gdrive and also use the config he has there 1:1. Only change the things you REALLY need to change.

I have extreme noise issues. The encoder signal is a total mess. I had some 3d printed parts feel the effect of the noisy signal. See my build thread... You need proper shielding if you want to avoid a headache. Shield the encoder (LiYCY 5x0,25mm²), the motor wires (use something like Ölflex 110 CY 4x6mm²) and put the ODrive into a metal housing.
    I'm also replacing the AMT10 with it's bigger brother AMT11. Only difference is, the AMT11 outputs a differential signal. Of course you need an IC at the other end to decode this signal again...

If you need any help, hit me up on discord. I'm active in xsim's discord and also on the OVRMC discord.

And as I am from Germany, too, I might be able to help you source some of the materials
  5. Will974

Will974 Active Member

Industrial Ingeenering Teacher
    Balance:
    875Coins
    Ratings:
    +112 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi,
    Welcome to the odrive family in the simulator context. :)
    You can see my thread about also an odrive project simulator 6 dof.
    My friends have already said you, all you must to know about this board !!!!
    So good luck ;-)
  6. BDZ

BDZ New Member

Balance:
    166Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    For the U Bolts Silentchill has listed on his parts list, if you contact the company directly you can ask for a quote to have them shipped. But don’t be surprised if it extremely expensive. I got quoted £60 shipping to Australia
  7. Barnpilot

Barnpilot New Member

Balance:
    54Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    @BDZ :I used a connector and another 6mm screw to extend the bold. Just made the holes a little bit bigger

IMG_1340.jpeg
    @Dschadu: I am using CAT7 double shielded cable. Hope that helps. But will check on the
    oscilloscope
    For now I'm printing and thinking how to build the frame. I will redesign my cockpit to match a Baron 58 - more or less and put it on a removable frame to flip between racing and flying. But the cockpit is a project of it own and will take some time.

Attached Files:

8. Barnpilot

Barnpilot New Member

Balance:
    54Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Some progress:

I finished printing :) and yesterday I got the last missing parts (ball screws).
    Build a test station with 2 Motors and one drive. Thanks to files provides by @SilentChill FlyPtMover runs on the first attempt.
    Next steps are:
    • Cutting the All-Tubes
    • Assembly of the actuators
    • Building a wooden frame
    As we are in a new lockdown with the shops closed I hope I have all I need to finish the task in the next weeks.
    Here are some pic's
    IMG_1365.jpeg

IMG_1366.jpeg
    IMG_1368.jpeg
    IMG_1369.jpeg
    Teststation. Everything is fixed on the wooden plate. The drives have a lot of power. On the first test I forgot the reduce the power in the oDrive setup. Without screwing the drives this could have gone wrong.
    For further testing I will reduce max power .
    • Like Like x 5
  9. EricSteijlen

EricSteijlen New Member

Balance:
    973Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Hi Barnpilot,
    Just like you, I have been fascinated by flight simulators for years (started with a Amiga computer) and I also want to build a 6dof sim, following the example of SilentChill.
    (I understand from him that he is more active on discord than here, so I also joined there)
    I ordered some parts this week after adjusting his actuator design to my own taste ;-)
    At the beginning of next year, the parts hopefully will arrive and I can start building.
    You seem to be running ahead a bit but hopefully I can find enough time to keep up with you next to work ;-)
    I'll keep an eye on your work, no doubt I can use your advice in due course ;-)
    Grüße von Eric the Netherlands
  10. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Awesome stuff :) Good luck with the rest of the build
  11. Barnpilot

Barnpilot New Member

Balance:
    54Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    First one finished :)
    IMG_1371.jpeg
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Looks very familiar lol
  13. Barnpilot

Barnpilot New Member

Balance:
    54Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Don't know what you mean. It's a totally different color :grin
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. Barnpilot

Barnpilot New Member

Balance:
    54Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    it's alive :)
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  15. dsr999

dsr999 New Member

Balance:
    140Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys - possible a daft question, but whats the black part in the photo below? I can see it on the Sketchup but not in the parts list, so I'm not sure if its a 3D printed part or a bearing.

Thanks

upload_2021-4-5_14-19-24.png
  16. EricSteijlen

EricSteijlen New Member

Balance:
    973Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
  17. dsr999

dsr999 New Member

Balance:
    140Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Eric - much appreciated.

I also found a supplier for the ubolts for anyone in Australia www.unitedfasteners.com.au:

1/4"BSW X 3/4"NB Z/P RND U BOLT KIT - $28 for 24 ubolts (hopefully they fit).

Dave