1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question How Can I Make A Steering Wheel With This Parts

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by seri13, Oct 1, 2020.

1. seri13

seri13 New Member

Balance:
    44Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    I have Arduino Leonardo, TB6600 and Nema 17 stepper motor. Can I make a steering wheel and How ?
  2. knaufinator

knaufinator Active Member

Simulation Engineer
    Balance:
    1,732Coins
    Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    Most DIY wheels are using AC servos, not Stepper motors, you also need a rotary encoder on the motor for position feedback most stepper motors do not have them but you can find some that do.. I think they are called Hybrid steppers.... The NEMA 17 is a tiny stepper motor, they have very tiny torque capabilities compared to what is used in a wheel. I would use what you have as a stepping stone in learning by using the Arduino to instruct the TB6600 to spin the stepper. but these devices are insufficient for a DIY Gaming wheel.
  3. Shadow Nightmares

Shadow Nightmares New Member

Balance:
    41Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    OpenFFBoard works with stepper motors, but unfortunately its still on BETA, just like all of the other projects with stepper motors
  4. Sam Neall

Sam Neall Member

Balance:
    84Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    The nema 17 is a bit weak for force feedback (only .59 nm), and you would need some monitoring system for PID control. I agree with what @knaufinator said. You can use this as a prototype. However I'm not sure if it would be cost effective to build your own wheel. You would probably be better off getting a csl elite or, if you want to save some money, a thrustmaster. The G29 is also really good value although it is gear driven.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Stepper motors are not suited to a ffb wheel
  6. noSaint

noSaint New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    160Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    utube has some videos of SimpleFOC and brushless, but also running steppers with the same library. The key is the encoder feedback to automatically adjust torque.