1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Iris Dynamics Force Feedback Sticks, Yokes, and Shifters

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by Zed, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,828Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,042 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Have you guys seen this stuff? They've apparently been in development for a few years but are doing some wild things with electromagnetics. They have a joystick prototype that because of the force feedback capabilities, they can turn it into a shifter with just software. Multiposition detents, etc. It's very clever. Don't know about commercial availability. Apparently 45 pounds force on the linears but up to 200 pounds possible with modification. They can add engine vibrations too.

Main website: https://www.irisdynamics.com/

Video of the shifter from CES 2018:

There's other videos at their website.

EDIT... More Information...

I corresponded with one of the guys at Iris and the sim enthusiast product line is dead at least for now. The joystick is still in development and not a product yet. Their focus for now is high end applications due to the high cost to build. Sounds like mostly high end commercial simulator parts.

They are selling the linear actuators but apparently they build those to order. I asked ballpark price for a couple of linears with 20-30 pounds force and the person I was corresponding with said about $3k each.

Found another video... The pieces in this following video are no longer available.

And another approach using motors out of a Sidewinder. Something like this is much more doable I think.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  2. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,828Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,042 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Iris Dynamics (the folks in the video) did a Kickstarter for a flight sim yoke with force feedback using their motor technology to jumpstart development:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/irisdynamics/affordable-force-feedback-flight-sim-control-yoke

For those interested in some of the control details and why, looks like they got a patent too:

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/07/c8/18/47451bf06f86cd/WO2015061900A1.pdf

They mention in the Kickstarter that the controls are based on Raspberry Pi and Arduino micros. The joystick configuration is probably derived from the linear stuff but no idea how complex the control is. Still trying to find out if they are selling these yet.

I’d love a side stick that can also be a shifter. Bonus - a shifter with any gate pattern you want since it’s software. And as a stick, with forces that are speed sensitive or that react to what the aircraft is doing. It looks like the joystick could emulate everything from force sticks in modern jets to sticks with mechanical linkages as in general aviation.
  3. Avee

Avee Virtual Pilot

Balance:
    1,020Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    It is not force feedback, but I actually have my VKB stick configured like that. Their software allows for making virtual triggers along an analog axis. So complementary to my regular X and Y axis, I also get button signals when I move the stick into a preconfigured range. Of course there are no gates, but for a simple sequential shifter it works well enough. One could also combine the virtual buttons into an H-Pattern shift setup, but for that one might want to take the centering springs out and tighten the clutch.