1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DIY Wind simulator in pictures

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by iLLuac4, Oct 1, 2020.

1. iLLuac4

iLLuac4 Active Member

Balance:
    866Coins
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    This is the wind simulator you can build.
    It is 4 channel simulator. Using 4x fans from IBM x3550 server. You can buy those from ebay and they are not expensive.
    This wind simulator is very compact, responsive and powerful. In SimHub you can define 4 separate effects.
    I am using separate speed and curving effects.
    From the pictures you can see the process. If anything is not clear feel free to ask.
    The arduino box on the picture is has cabling in the back because the are meant to be mounted on the 4040 alu profiles.

Material used:
    - 4x IBM x3550 wents (in SimHub i have best results with 800-900hz when programming arduino)
    - screws are 3mm
    - inserts are 3mm
    - led diode with holder
    - on/off switch
    - power connector
    - wire
    - few zip ties
    - wire
    - Self-closing wire wrap
    - jst connectors (red one) - manually crimped
    - 2x flexible arm (can be plastic or metal one); in pictures they are inserted into some tubing. To be sturdy enough I have inserted one around 2mm thick wire in the tube. https://de.aliexpress.com/item/4001107499899.html
    - 2x wood screws
    - 12v 4A Power supply (It can be also lower spec like 2,5A since the fans are so strong that you will not run them at max. I am using them at 20-30%.) One motor is rated 1.9A but at Max it uses 1.2A; so 1,2/3=0,4Ax4=1,6A at 30% so 2,5A is enough.
    - Arduino Uno (removed power connector)
    - Motor Shield v2

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  2. iLLuac4

iLLuac4 Active Member

Balance:
    866Coins
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    3d print files.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. iLLuac4

iLLuac4 Active Member

Balance:
    866Coins
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Additional pictures from first build.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. iLLuac4

iLLuac4 Active Member

Balance:
    866Coins
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    End caps mod.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  5. neportocala

neportocala New Member

Balance:
    52Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    question: are your fans 12v? My motor shield v2 won't output more than 6V and I don't understand why.
  6. iLLuac4

iLLuac4 Active Member

Balance:
    866Coins
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Yes they are 12V. They do work. I am powering them directly from shield board and also you have to remove the jumper on the shield to enable external power.
  7. GWiz

GWiz Active Member

Dentist
    Balance:
    1,453Coins
    Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Thanks for sharing in such detail, I love the idea with the flexible tubing which would allow you to place the fans in the best position and adjust them easily.

Fantastic job! :thumbs
  8. hideki

hideki Active Member

Balance:
    - 198Coins
    Ratings:
    +51 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Very nice work Illuac !! I have 2 fans, 2 small vibration motors, arduimo Uno and Motor Shield V2 Also using Simhub. Anyone know How can use them with Game dash? Thanks
  9. iLLuac4

iLLuac4 Active Member

Balance:
    866Coins
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    A note about which fans are good and which are not. The difference is that some fans are responsive and some are not. Servers usually starts with full blow and some wents need full power to startup. Those models are not good and you will not be able to get a good response from them. They are not usable.
    I would say buy HP DL360 fans G4 (part number 361399-001; they are in a pack of three). Those are cheap and just great. Also IBM ones are good.

1. Good:
    IBM x3550 fans
    HP DL360 fans G4

2. Not Good:
    HP DL360 fans G6/G7/G9

Attached Files: