1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Cytron Md30c Rev2, Power supply options

Discussion in 'Electronic and hardware generally' started by Rav3n87, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Rav3n87

Rav3n87 Active Member

Balance:
    723Coins
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hey Everyone,

So i am the middle of building my first motion rig, im still gathering a few bits and peices atm and i'm currently looking for power supplies

I have come across this one:

IBM EMERSON SERVER POWER SUPPLY 1975W 7001524-J000 39Y7203 XSERIES X3850 X3950

LINK: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/IBM-EME...246918?hash=item3fbec0d046:g:k9AAAOSwA05cnbdk

Doing some reading through the spec sheet of the MD30C motor driver and it says:

"If Switching Power Supply is being used as power source for MD30C, we recommend parallel it with same voltage battery. This is to absorb the re-gen power from motor. DC brushed motor will become generator when it is slow down and rotate by external force"

Are Server power supplies generally switching type?

If it is a switching type and i have to use a battery what size would everyone recommend?

My rig is going to be a full frame 2dof with traction loss using:

Md30c Motor drivers
    200W 12V Worm Drive 64 RPM 30nM from Motion Dynamics
    Shoulder hieght rod mounting location as space is not an issue

2. physke

physke New Member

IT & Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    192Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    Yes, a power supply from a computer or server is a switching power supply. They are a lot lighter than the old style power supplies that have large, heavy transformers in them. Not sure about the battery size required.
  3. Rav3n87

Rav3n87 Active Member

Balance:
    723Coins
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Awesome thanks for the feedback Physke