1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom New DIY load cell pedals

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by elnino, Aug 30, 2020.

1. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,457Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Still Work in progress

So I bought some t3PA pedals s/h to get my rig up and running with every intention to make my own pedals eventually. The t3PA pedals are ok but being used to a load cell brake, I found them pretty much unusable. I modded them to add a load cell but they still don't feel good enough overall.

Taking from some of my previous DIY pedals and looking at what some others have done, this is what I have come up with. The intention here is to have 3 load cells - No pots at all like the crazy expensive ones.

I had a heap of parts already so the build cost for these to me is well under AUD $100.

Basic design for accelerator and brake:
    2020-08-30_21h00_53.png

Key info:
    Pedal is made out of 40 x 20 x 2mm Aluminium box section (Bunnings)
    Base is 40 x 25 x 1.6 angle
    Load cell support is 25 x 10 x 2 box section (Brake uses solid piece of same dimensions for extra strength)
    Load cell(s) salvaged from Wii balance board
    Rod support is currently 3d printed - will see how it holds up, might have to move to aluminium.
    Pedal pivots on 14 x 8 x 3 flanged bearings.

For the clutch, I am not sure what do do yet - Either just make another accelerator or look at making something that has digressive pressure. I have not decided just yet.

I will be using super soft skateboard truck bushes on the brake pedal and just a regular spring on the accelerator.

Interface will be a custom board with 3 x adjustable ina826 instrumentation amps so they will be plug and play for pretty much any wheel or arduino implementation.

Specs are sparse on the load cells but it seems they are ~75kg cells, given the balance board is supposed to be rated for 130Kg it would make sense they are around this figure.

Probably also need a pedal stop for the accelerator/clutch - todo.
    2020-08-30_21h23_32.png 2020-08-30_21h24_13.png
    • Like Like x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. JamieMac

JamieMac New Member

Balance:
    32Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great work! I've been planning my pedals with a parts list etc. too and came to the conclusion the truck bushes are the way to go - can't find anything else suitable.

Can you send a link to the bunnings box section you used? was that easier/cheaper than using sheet aluminium?
  3. Erik Middeldorp

Erik Middeldorp Member

sheet metal worker
    Balance:
    609Coins
    Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I used a rubber bung/stopper as a spring for a load cell brake. It works well, different sizes are available and they're cheap. It's probably softer than skateboard truck bushes.
  4. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,457Coins
    Ratings:
    +136 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    The bushes I purchased are only 78A which is very soft. I also have some 4mm silicone sheet that I am going to make some washers out of to add some more progressive feel.

The Box section is this - https://www.bunnings.com.au/metal-mate-40-x-20-x-2mm-x-1m-aluminium-rectangle-tube_p1130546

In my original design some time ago I went with flat bar. This just seemed easier but there is no specific merit to either.

I have finished the load cell interface and have tested it to work well so far. It's still missing one of the chips though - Waiting on delivery from element14....
    2020-09-08_08h18_21.png