1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DIY arduino ffb steering wheel

Discussion in 'Electronic and hardware generally' started by Rishikesh Dasappa, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Rishikesh Dasappa

Rishikesh Dasappa New Member

Balance:
    128Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    The parts i'm currently looking at are:

12v wiper motor (motor with one of the brushes removed to allow for dual polarity)(cheap, accessible and high torque at low rpm according to @ahoenksiluman youtube video
    Arduino Leonardo
    (need a motor driver that can handle a 12v wiper motor, bts7960 is all fake in india and they get shorted easily apparently)
    encoder (currently looking at orange 600ppr)
    Haven't decided on gear ratios

I could really use input and tips and things to look out for as its my first ever build
    Looking to build a setup cheap with available parts

Thanks in advance!
  2. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,890Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,083 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. ahoenksiluman

ahoenksiluman Member

Balance:
    89Coins
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    wiper motor is fine, u only need to re wire/re route the carbon brush, use the opposite carbon brush (remove slow speed brush)

bts7960 is the cheapest realible for me, cheap knock off monster moto always bad or broken...
  4. Rishikesh Dasappa

Balance:
    128Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Hey! I hail from bangalore, i've already gone through the detailed post youve linked, and ive introduced myself on the new member thread, thanks for that :)
  5. Rishikesh Dasappa

Balance:
    128Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Yeah, ive seen your video and thread and have been fascinated with the idea to use a wiper motor, however finding an original bts7960 seems to be difficult online, ive seen your video comparing knockoff and original pieces and have yet to find an original one online :( Could you or anyone else recommend any other driver motor? My budget is low but id rather not have to purchase the driver motor more than once so i dont mind spending on it
  6. ahoenksiluman

ahoenksiluman Member

Balance:
    89Coins
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    actually knock off bts7960 is better than monster moto driver, but thats little bit of gambling, but the probality is better than monster moto...

i'v been use that more than 1 year with big power and still running good (not original bts7960)...

but there is other option but little bit expensive, cytron driver...
  7. Rishikesh Dasappa

Balance:
    128Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    so would you recommend taking a gamble on the bts7960 if its fake or spend on a cytron?
    which cytron driver would you recommend for my build?

Thanks in advance!
    looking forward to purshasing the parts and getting the build started soon :)
  8. Rishikesh Dasappa

Balance:
    128Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    planning to purchase the 12v wiper motor, bts7960 driver board and arduino board
    Could anyone let me know what gear ratios would be healthy for the 12v wiper motor?
    @ahoenksiluman
  9. ahoenksiluman

ahoenksiluman Member

Balance:
    89Coins
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    in my video i use 1:3, but in my current build, i use 1:6. thats better for the torque

and i use 18v power source, if use only 12v, the torque and speed will feels lower a bit...
  10. Rishikesh Dasappa

Balance:
    128Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Thanks!
    This may be a stupid question but have you used a single phase or three phase wiper motor?
    Im guessing single phase but i just wanted to confirm
  11. ahoenksiluman

ahoenksiluman Member

Balance:
    89Coins
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    you need to modify the motor first, after you modify it, it will become regular dc motor like the other...
  12. Rishikesh Dasappa

Balance:
    128Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    the motor is a 12v motor with 10A stalling current
    Will a 24v 10A psu with the voltage trimmed to 12v be sufficient or overkill? (anyone help pls)

I've purchased all the parts except for the psu, i shall be posting updates on my progress with images soon :)
  13. Mg.

Mg. New Member

Balance:
    23Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    which you said bts7960 are all fake in india and apparently easy to cut when not all are fake.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2023