1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

OpenVR-MotionCompensation

Discussion in 'VR Headsets and Sim Gaming - Virtual Reality' started by Dschadu, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Dschadu

Dschadu Active Member

Balance:
    1,933Coins
    Ratings:
    +143 / 1 / -0
    @Christian Hansen Current solution is only to restart SteamVR. I'm currently searching why this happens.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. J-1775

J-1775 Aviator

Balance:
    1,507Coins
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    You might also check SteamVR settings/Addons (Start-Shut down/Addons): OOvrmotioncompensation must be ON. If you still have OOrinputemulator installed, it has to be OFF.
    Error may re-appear after changes you made on your system, thus I made this the first thing to check.
  3. Christian Hansen

Christian Hansen New Member

Balance:
    41Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Thank you, so if I just keep trying it might eventually work?
  4. Dschadu

Dschadu Active Member

Balance:
    1,933Coins
    Ratings:
    +143 / 1 / -0
    Yes, restart SteamVR. I looked at the code and I have no idea why this happens... You can join our discord for a debug-build to help me track the issue down.
  5. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Christian, Dschadu is trying to figure out what is causing this and he has recently posted on his Discord with some instructions and a request to those having this problem to help him track it down. Please find your way to his Discord and maybe you can help him get this fixed for you as well as for others having the same problem. =)
  6. Shaz

Shaz New Member

Balance:
    60Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hey All,

I just wanted to drop here to share my excitement and gratitude for all this great work happening here. I am one of the Reverb G2 pre-orders and I cannot tell you how excited I am to get my hands on it. For the longest time I've been running an Oculus CV1 and ever since I got my motion rig "DOFReality P3" I had to revert back to playing in front of the TV. All I play is Dirt Rally 2.0 which is extremely "active" in the sense that I am constantly being tossed around from the G-forces. My biggest worry was motion cancellation. So to see this thread and this workaround makes me very happy. I obviously cannot test or use any of it yet but I will the moment I get my hands on my new HMD.

Thanks for all the great work and I sure will be supporting this project financially as it truly deserves it. I cannot wait to get to enjoy it in person in my own rig.
  7. Christian Hansen

Christian Hansen New Member

Balance:
    41Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Will do - also wanted to mention for anyone not seeing the overlay button in VR - In SteamVR under developer settings I had to turn on something like “allow overlays to modify global settings.” So if you aren’t seeing the option in VR that is likely the issue - I didn’t see this listed as a troubleshooting tip on the site so thought I would bring it up.
  8. benmax

benmax Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,550Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hi, new here and happy to watch that a new motion compensation feature is on progress.I installed the .exer file but i always havemy actually serttings available with steam vr . I have the old motion compensation open vr input emulator which vorks with revive because i have a oculus rift . Is someone whoi could explain how to install the new motion compensation from Dschadu ?
    As my actually settings works i would like to test both if it's possible.
    in steam vr settings oovrinputemulator is YES , but into styeam vr when open settings only the old vr input emulator is available v1.3
    Thanks
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  9. Dschadu

Dschadu Active Member

Balance:
    1,933Coins
    Ratings:
    +143 / 1 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  10. benmax

Balance:
    1,550Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    ok thanks will give a try and report ;)
  11. benmax

Balance:
    1,550Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    ok got it , .exe wasn't installed !!! i had shutt down before installation finishing.
    ok now it works !
    Tested on assetto corsa competizione racing game , but the motion compensation is to slow vs the simulator movement (6 dof ) . it's like a big latency between movement and compensation .
    any advice for car games for compensation settings ?
  12. benmax

Balance:
    1,550Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    ok for me it's quiet ok with LPS 0.8 and sample = 2.
    Like input emulator 1.3 with big yaw movement i've got a little bit also the black barel right or left (depending on CCW or CW sens of rotatoin ) on the oculus view ( border left or right ).
    But thanks for your job
    best results LPS = 1 sample = 2 hug:
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  13. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I am cross posting this here from my own reply this morning on the old thread from the previous version.

This post is about the issues with using Oculus VR gear with motion compensation.

This is my best effort to somewhat succinctly explain my analysis of the problem we have when trying to use Motion Compensation (OVRMC or the previous much older OVRIE)

3 "world spaces" exist when using VR

1: The real world
    2: The VR world (pause menu etc.)
    3: The Game world (in sims this is the car or aircraft, not the world outside it)

Motion compensation detaches the VR world and Game World from the Real World, and instead attaches them to the motion platform, solving our problems.

OculusVR Compositor prevents Motion Compensation software from attaching the VR World to the motion platform.

Unfortunately, the location of the window your computer draws for you to look through into the game world is attached to the VR world instead of to the Game World.

The result is that when you use motion compensation with Oculus, the car will be attached to the motion simulator as desired when you can see it through the window, but the window is "stuck" attached to the real world so it will not always be in front of your VR headset as it should be.

When the "window" into the game world is not properly placed correctly in front of you, you will see some of the blank black VR World around you where the VR world isn't being drawn because drawing it all would use far too much computer processing power and "normally" you would never see any of it anyway.

That's a lot of worlds (and words)! I hope this makes sense to someone....
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  14. rsbell

rsbell Member

Balance:
    334Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Just wanted to say, “Great work @dschadu!”
    I could never get OpenVR to work with my rig, but this is flawless. It’s surprising how much better having MC is.

I have a DOFReality P6 with Buttkicker and Pimax 8k+ (8kx delivers tomorrow), everything “just works”.

Bravo and thanks! I’m off to the PayPal link to donate some well-deserved cash!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. dennis johnson

dennis johnson Member

retired
    Balance:
    138Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor
    Hi,
    I have read all the posts in this thread and looked at the website for the program. It seems I cannot wrap my brain around what the settings actually do. I am using a Reverb with my 3dof SFX-100 rig. My controller is mounted directly in front of me on top of my steering wheel. I 3d printed a bracket so that the controller is rock solid.
    This program is excellent in that I am now not having to recenter my hmd every few seconds, but I am experiencing some strange issues while racing.
    1. screen jumping occasionally - probably due to my controller going to sleep. not sure.....
    2. Strange floating, swimming sensations - don't know how else to explain it....lol. It just feels weird at times...

So, I want to mess with the setting to see if I can get a more rock solid experience. The problem is that I don't know where to begin.
    Are there any tips or suggestions on what to try to change and what results that I should expect when making the change? In other words, an explanation of each setting and what the numbers mean.. or some suggested settings for my particular setup?

thanks in advance
  16. benmax

Balance:
    1,550Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
  17. Keith

Keith Active Member

Electrician
    Balance:
    118Coins
    Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    I spent a couple hours trying to get motion compensation working with the oculus rift s playing Automobalista 2. Everything seems to be set up properly and enabled but it doesn't make any noticeable difference while playing. Steamvr is running but im not 100% sure its actually playing through steamvr and not the oculus software.

Any ideas?
  18. J-1775

J-1775 Aviator

Balance:
    1,507Coins
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Just to find out: you may change any setting in SteamVR (video/audio) to an extreme that you'd easily notice.
    Also make sure, in SteamVR Addons, OpenVRmotioncompensation is on. In case of error, SteamVR may close all Addons and go for a "safe" start...
  19. Keith

Keith Active Member

Electrician
    Balance:
    118Coins
    Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Thats a good idea. I will try that. Thanks
  20. benmax

Balance:
    1,550Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Look at this discussion in the thread about this kind of issue !!
    It seems that you will not be able to get the motion compensation working ! I’m still in your situation !
    But if you have success please report !