1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SFX-100 possible EMI issues?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by GreaseMonkey, Aug 29, 2020.

1. GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey New Member

Balance:
    200Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi. As the title says i suspect i am having EMI issues with my recently built SFX rig.

I finished the build about 1 month ago. And it was working fine at beginning.
    But this week i noticed i am having issues with Fanatec CSW wheelbase and CSW pedals. Games does not react to steering input intermittently during gaming. Also sometimes throttle and brake are stuck in same position. Also confirmed through fanatec wheel property page is stops reading wheel position for a short while when servo motor and simfeedback is powered on (even without actuators moving).

It is not a complete USB disconnect problem as i cant see disconnects or warnings on windows event log. The problem last about 0.1 second to max of 1.5 second and appears at random time and intervals in all games when SFX-100 is on. When driving without motion platform powered i do not have any issues. Also only equipment having issues is my fanatec equipment. Other USB devices dont have issues. Other USB hardware i have connected are: WMR headset (HP reverb), arduino USB handbrake, keyboard, mouse, USB headphones. All 230V equipment is connected to same electrical outlet on the wall (Computer,Wheelbase,SFX servodrives,Monitor)

What have i done so far to solve the issue:
    - I tried different USB cables for wheelbase connection and tried different USB ports on my computer. Also tried disconnect all non essential USB -> No change.
    - Connecting the CSW pedals directly via USB instead of wheelbase connection seemed to help a bit. And now i have not noticed pedals input stuck but wheel is still unresponsive at times.
    -Tried reroute cabling to make sure USB cables are as far as possible from motor wiring and not crossing power wires
    -Ordered ferrites to install to USB cables (not yet arrived)
    -Ordered another shielded USB A - USB B cable for wheelbase connection (not yet arrived)
    -Tried wrapping alu foil around motors (maybe little less frequent wheel freezes or placebo effect?)
    -Adding extra ground lead from rig to servodrive cage safe grounding point (no change)

My questions are as follows:

Should i rewire the motor power cables with shielded cables?
    (I was not smart enough to order my motors with shielded cables during purchase)

Can installing ferrite chokes to all USB cables help? (fanatec usb cables already have ferrites on both ends)

EMI filter install to network power inlet side of the AASD-15A servo drives?

https://www.mouser.fi/ProductDetail/Schaffner/FN2010-30-08?qs=Eu63EZxBwKL/R97nJquTkQ== this sufficient EMI filter?

Other ideas to solve the problem?

Picture of my rig in current state in attachment. I know the wiring is a mess because of constant rerouting when trying to find and solve the issue.

Attached Files:

2. EduardoMoreira

EduardoMoreira Member

Balance:
    113Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF
    Do you use a usb hub? if so, it must have its own power source. Another tip is that all hardware is connected to the same ground point.
  3. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,699Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    Yes!!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey New Member

Balance:
    200Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    No USB hub. All USB devices connected to Motherboard I/O
    All hardware is connected to same ground point.
  5. GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey New Member

Balance:
    200Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Follow up questions of shielded motor cables:

Is it enough to use shielded cable only motor Power cables?
    Signal cables can left as it is?
    Shielding has to Be grounded on both ends of The cable?
  6. Thanos

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,699Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yes, only the 4 wire power cable needs to be shielded. You can connect the shield on the servo drive side only , to avoid ground loops.

The encoder cable of the motor (with the db9 connector, is already shielded. No need to mess with it.

Thanks
    Thanos
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey New Member

Balance:
    200Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ok. Thanks for advices.
  8. T R Para

T R Para i make stuff up

Retired
    Balance:
    2,436Coins
    Ratings:
    +357 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF

Attached Files:

• EMI_.jpg
      EMI_.jpg
      File size:
      96.2 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 2
  9. GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey New Member

Balance:
    200Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for replies.

Yes i think i will also add an EMI filter.

Update: Now i am pretty sure the biggest issue is the interference from the motors/motor cables. Today started also having issues with my VR headset tracking , this was something never happened before. When i took headset off and looked what`s going on i noticed my headset cable was leaning against the motor/actuator assy. After moving cable away from motor tracking was fine again.

So my next step is going to be to rewire the motor cables.

For the time being i can use the SFX mostly fine, if i make sure USB cables are as far as possible from the motor wires.

btw, Anyone have a video link how to disassemble/rewire the motors?
    I think i have seen a video of rewiring the motors but could not find it with google search.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  10. Thanos

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,699Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey New Member

Balance:
    200Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks @Thanos. I should have guessed it was a video made by you.

Ordered some shielded cable today. Will update to this thread if my issues are gone after rewiring motor cables.
    Also ordered an EMI filter. I think it doenst hurt to fit the filter too.
    • Like Like x 1