1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

latest mods to my 6DOF v5 Elite simulator

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by kev b, Aug 10, 2020.

1. kev b

kev b Active Member Gold Contributor

Academic Lecturer - Electrical Engineering
    Balance:
    889Coins
    Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi,

All over the lockdown period I've been working in my 'secret lab' updating and enhancing my current v5 6 axis Elite Dangerous motion rig and wanted to share it with you. Those that have seen any of my previous vids (Yo*tube) will know that I only designed/built/use it for Elite, it has 6dof, can carry up to 14stone and adds another dimension to the game. My elite commander name is Blastard.
    I fly it every day, is totally reliable (10hrs+ sessions! at a time) and it always puts a smile on my face. One of the best projects I've ever done. Great fun and all in wide-angle VR thanks to Pimax.

I have to add my thanks again to this community, @SilentChill (his project gave me the inspiration) and @Wagnard (plugin guru).

My rig still uses these main components;

Custom-built aluminium chassis.
    SimTools software.
    Six Motion Control Products 90-zyt-199-12 (3000rpm, 1.2Nm, 12vdc) motors with 60:1 reduction.
    Six IBT-2 (12vdc 43A) motor h-bridges (I have a pile of burned monstermoto h-bridges !! so gave up on them long ago). I've never had an IBT-2 fail in over 2 yrs rig use.
    Three S-1000-12 (12vdc 83A) PSU's (used for commercial LED displays) - cheap and reliable.

This basic setup has worked really well for last two years. The only maintenance has been having to change the position-pots when they wear (maybe once per year), and wear on the PHS12 eye-rods. I since swapped these for teflon-sealed rather than brass and have had none wear out since.
    A lot of the construction detail and specs can be found on my previous v5 build vids (see my sig).

For this latest v5 'Pro' enhancement round, I've modified the SMC3 code to allow the (analog) power setting (pot input) to extend to all 3 motors (it previously only worked on the first 2 motors). Further, I have ditched the analog part altogether and introduced an 8-step digital sequencer for power increment/decrement (in 128bit steps) via 7" TFT touchscreen which itself forms part of a full scada system for the rig.

I've also added an optical display system (560x RGB leds) to the rig that is linked over serial bus to the scada and reacts to the power settings.
    It all works wonderfully.

I attach a 16min vid showing all these enhancements, flight operations, demo of the mods and a bit of gameplay at the end so you can see it in action. As always, am happy to answer and questions etc.

Thanks again,
    Kev B

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Mechromancer

Mechromancer Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    444Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator: