1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Cousin of OSW (Open Sim Wheel)

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Gadget999, Sep 23, 2017.

1. GoRacing

GoRacing Member

Balance:
    96Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Good morning to all guys, following this thread I came to the conclusion of purchasing these materials to make my DIY steering wheel which I list below:

Encoder: E6B2-CWZ1X 2000P/R

Engine: MY1020 48V 2800 RPM- 1000W

Control sheet: STM32F407G Discovery

N ° 3 : BTS6970

12v 100A power supply: https://www.ebay.it/itm/1PCS-PS-211...itching-Power-Supply-54-ZX/153592904789?hash= item23c2d9bc55: g: cWwAAOSweXddSV7g

From what I could understand, the best solution would be the one with the Stm32f407 Discovery board with MMOS firmware + 1000W motor + 3 ibt2 + 12v power supply at least 80A + encoder: OMROM E6B2- CWZ1X 2000P / R and rightly so?
    Another question: I can't understand how to connect Stm32f407 Discovery, encoder and ibt2. Having no skills on the subject, I wanted to know politely if there is an electrical diagram that can be followed to make the connections.
    I apologize in advance if it has already been said somewhere. Thank you
  2. Fatih M.

Fatih M. New Member

Balance:
    210Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    if you check MMOS 2014 folder > Connections. There are a lot of schematics. And i add a pic.
    I am currently at the stage of finishing the project. But I'm having problems with the ibt-2 connection. When I try to turn the steering wheel to the left in Pwm & Dir mode, the engine starts to vibrate. If I choose Pwm & HBridge, the steering is working properly but there is no ffb

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. GoRacing

GoRacing Member

Balance:
    96Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Thanks for the wiring diagram

Sorry I have another question, the stm32 to make it work I have to connect both USB?
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  4. Fatih M.

Fatih M. New Member

Balance:
    210Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    yes you have to use 2 usb cable for make it work
  5. GoRacing

GoRacing Member

Balance:
    96Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Thanks so much :thumbs
  6. Fatih M.

Fatih M. New Member

Balance:
    210Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    I finally managed to run it. The problem was fixed when I selected Pwm & Hbridge option on Mmos 2014 and when max force = 100%. Rpwm : PE9, LPwm : PE11, ReN, LeN and Vcc to 5V, Gnd to Gnd.

I currently use it with a single power supply and I am very pleased with it. Much stronger and much more detailed than the G25. The engine warmed up after using it for 30 minutes but it was resolved when it was cooled by a 7cm fan, ibt also warmed up, so I have to add a fan. it's time to make the other power supply and ibt connections for me.

Thanks again to everyone who shared what they knew.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. ste94

ste94 New Member

Balance:
    203Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hello guys, i'm currently working on upgrading my direct drive wheel (finally got a 3d printer so i'm making some parts for it, probably going to publish them after testing). I changed the motor to a ZY1020 750W, got something like 5,4Nm with a 50A PSU (which is enough for now) but i've run into some problem with it. Setup is stm32 with MMOS, 3 bts7960, 2500ppr encoder.
    Playing AC with maximum force at 100% and in game gain at 75% causes the psu to turn off (tried with a 106A server psu and still does it), setting gain at 50% seems to fix this issue (and with a bit more torque it's totally acceptable).
    I also tried Wheelcheck: setting max force to 100% causes the psu to turn off after 3 or 4 "hit". Lowering the max force in MMOS under 60% fixes the issue and i can check the results. Linearity at 60% is very bad, it gets kinda good at around 30%.
    That means that i have to choose between a good linearity and enough torque so i was wondering if there's something i can do to fix it, because i don't know if this is caused by the BTS7960 or by the motor itself.
    And do you guys have any idea what i could check for the PSUs going into protecion mode?

Attached Files:

8. Frederiksen

Frederiksen Member

Balance:
    420Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Where do I find the software to upload to my arduino? Also do I just use the micro usb to power it or do I have to power it another way?
  9. Steve B

Steve B Member

Balance:
    248Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    I built one of these over the last few months.
    Big thanks to Gadget999 for starting this thread, without this I would still be suffering with a G29's rattle and general stickiness.

The wheelbase I've built is considerably stronger than a g29 (probably 2 to 3x) although I run it much lower than that. The improvement is not so much the extra strength, it's the fidelity and speed that really shine.

I used a
    MY1020 36V 750W
    1000ppr encoder
    STM Disc board (initially Arduino Leonardo)
    2 X BTS7960
    Power supply is still a bit of a hack, 130w laptop power supply, 2 X toroidal transformers(280w each) and a 17ah sla battery.

IssuesfIssues anyone building one of these:
    Use an oversized power supply, I started with a 63a server PSU and this kept tripping. 80A minimum.

If you're using a high PPR encoder then go for the STM board, the Leonardo mostly worked with a 1000ppr encoder but would loose position running wheel check or during an in-game crash. This would cause the wheel to spin in 1 direction until power is cut.

Have some way of killing power close to the wheel. See above.

Try not to have wires running to the wheel for buttons. See above.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Keith

Keith Active Member

Electrician
    Balance:
    118Coins
    Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Where are you guys finding these cheap 1000w my1020's. The best deal I can find is around $50 for the motor plus $100 for shipping to Canada. I found a 500w 1020 for $70 with free shipping. Just not sure that is powerful enough.
  11. Keith

Keith Active Member

Electrician
    Balance:
    118Coins
    Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:

Do you have this running on 2 power supplies yet or are you still just using the one? How is the wheel working for you?
  12. Fatih M.

Fatih M. New Member

Balance:
    210Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Wheel is working very well, im very happy with the result. im using one 40A power supply and its enough after G25.
  13. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,439Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I got mine from https://www.motiondynamics.com.au/ but I am in Australia. It was about $125AUD shipped.
  14. Fatih M.

Fatih M. New Member

Balance:
    210Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    I bought it on banggood for 110$ including shipping to Türkiye. 500W and i think its powerful enough
  15. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,439Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    'Powerful enough' is not all its about, you also need to consider how much wattage is allowable to lose as heat. When we are operating in stall mode almost all energy consumed is lost as heat. Overloading the windings will cause melting of the laminate and/or wires resulting in a useless motor. Higher voltage motors will generally have thinner gague wiring but more windings.
  16. Fatih M.

Fatih M. New Member

Balance:
    210Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor

Yes you are right. I can say that I pay close attention to the cooling system. 1 powerfull fan for ibt-2's and 3 powerfull fans for MY1020 500W. Its Rather satisfactory compared to G25. I can feel details I have never felt before with this steering wheel. My lap times are now very close to each other. I can feel the braking much easier now and i can feel when the rear wheels starting to slip. The true sentence is "its much more powerfull and detailed enough compare to G25". Maybe even bigger surprises await me when I connect the second power supply. I want to try this when I find the free time
  17. Keith

Keith Active Member

Electrician
    Balance:
    118Coins
    Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:

I wonder if you could post some pics of your fan setup on the motor?
  18. Frederiksen

Frederiksen Member

Balance:
    420Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My wheel is wired up but I don't know what to do on the software side. I watched ebolzmagy's video about WheelConfig and when I load it my encoder just shows as ready but when I turn it it doesn't turn the picture. Please can someone tell me what software to get and what to do to get this set up?
  19. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
  20. Frederiksen

Frederiksen Member

Balance:
    420Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the link. I forgot to mention I have a leonardo. Should the firmware you sent still work? I tried to upload it to my Arduino and it failed.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1