1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Full Frame 2 DOF + Traction Loss new build

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Halloween2go, May 20, 2020.

1. Halloween2go

Halloween2go Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,407Coins
    Ratings:
    +175 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    So I went ahead and installed the Gamer2 LFE. I think I will mount the AMP to the stationary (lower part) of my motion platform. It definitely added some immersion to the Rig and if I forget to turn it on, I feel like I am missing something for sure.. Pretty stoked about it, so I ordered another one too..
    Hopefully I can get one for each corner of the seat platform.
    upload_2020-7-21_19-1-9.png
    I downloaded the SIMHUB software and set up was pretty straightforward.
    When I get the second LFE, I will mount them on either side of the seat I guess.
    I bought it because it had the AMP and seemed like a good idea. Dang happy with the purchase.
    Also, I did away with my old standard keyboard and mouse and went with a TracBall and a mini keyboard.
    I still need to fabricate a small plate to mount the Mini keyboard. But things are progressing and every drive is getting more fun and better!
    upload_2020-7-21_19-6-11.png

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Halloween2go

Balance:
    1,407Coins
    Ratings:
    +175 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks for the comment about my rig.. Yeah tuning it has it's own learning curve for sure.. I finally got it set up pretty good for Asetto Corsa..
    But when I tried it in Dirt Rally 2, I obviously need to make a new profile because it's really lazy.. I may have had the power down a lot too. But these platforms are great!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Kyle Francis

Kyle Francis New Member

Balance:
    45Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hi, doyou have anymore photos of the traction loss motor and arm setup? Yours look to work very well. I saw you are using a 5inch arm but i'd love to see how the mechanism is all attached to the lower frame and what not.

Awesome rig!
  4. Halloween2go

Balance:
    1,407Coins
    Ratings:
    +175 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hey Thanks! I'm out of town this week but have been planning on posting some low angle TL videos. I do appreciate your comment! :thumbs
  5. Halloween2go

Balance:
    1,407Coins
    Ratings:
    +175 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I did add the butt kicker gamer to the back of the rig and used SIMHub to get it working with Asetto Corsa. So far it's great and I have another of them 'on back order' to give me two. Either front to back or left and right..
    We will see how much a difference 2 will do. Probably awesome.. FYI I turned on the rig last weekend to take some laps and forgot to turn on the buttkicker.. Something was missing, for sure.. Duh, forgot to turn it on! Try one if you have $160 US.. they defiantly add that extra vibration and texture. Here's a Pic of the mounted device.
    upload_2020-7-28_18-55-56.png
    also added the mini-keyboard and trackball setup to replace the full size keyboard and mouse.
    upload_2020-7-28_18-57-22.png

So if anyone has advice setting up two butt kickers (either front to back or side to side) let me know
  6. pfm21

pfm21 pfm21 build 3dof dinamic

Balance:
    356Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    really fantastic. I also wait for the photos of the 3 engine for the traction loss
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Halloween2go

Balance:
    1,407Coins
    Ratings:
    +175 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Sure, It's on my list of 'to do's' for this weekend. + I am taking all next week off, so I will be able to do some much anticipated running on the Rig.. When i first began running it, I almost immediately began breaking some pins on the motor shafts to the lever arms even though I had Tapped them and used nylon insert nuts.
    I got a bit frustrated as one by one each seemed to shear off the pin. I ended up welding some hardened pins to the motor and I have been able to run for almost 15 hours so far without any breakage. If I would do it again, I would have drilled and tapped 1/4" pins. I really thought that the heat from welding would mess up the nylon gearing in the motors, but I heat blocked and quenched each tack weld as i went along.
  8. pfm21

Balance:
    356Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    ok let's wait to see your beautiful ring
    • Like Like x 1
  9. pfm21

Balance:
    356Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    you could also put the connections you made with IBT-2. I did a 2dof and I would like to add the traction loss then the third engine
  10. Snapdi

Snapdi New Member

Balance:
    - 201Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I love your rig, and I think it turned out really nice. So much so I'm scrapping my current build. Do you have any rough dimensions for the frame? Much appreciation.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Halloween2go

Balance:
    1,407Coins
    Ratings:
    +175 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks I took some photos for reference
    I used 6 foot (72") sections of 1 1/2 square tubing to run the length of the bottom frame and the Traction loss frame. All frames are 17" in the front.
    upload_2020-8-5_14-22-50.png
    The BASE frame is 44 1/2 inch wide at the rear and 17 inches wide in the front.
    upload_2020-8-5_14-32-0.png
    The Middle Frame (Traction loss frame) is also 72 inches long, with 31 inches wide at the rear and also 17 inches wide in the front
    upload_2020-8-5_14-34-35.png
    I am seeing some 'surface rust' especially in this photo.. I still need to take it apart, paint the metal sections and reassemble!! The rear of the Traction Loss frame is 31 inches, the front of the TL frame is 17 inches.

On the Traction loss frame I welded in two cross braces to hold the U-joint at the balance point of the seat frame which was 34 1/2 inches from the front of the Traction loss frame.
    upload_2020-8-5_14-38-43.png
    The SEAT frame is 4 ft long and 17 inches wide
    upload_2020-8-5_15-2-52.png

The Shoulder mount struts are 31 inches long but can be adjusted about 2 inches.
    upload_2020-8-5_15-4-18.png
    The rear of the seat frame is 30 inches
    upload_2020-8-5_14-49-13.png
    The angled 1 " square tubing from seat base to bottom of steering mount plate is 25"
    upload_2020-8-5_14-52-22.png
    The Steering mount plate is supported by an 1 1/2 inch square tubing vertical section at 18 1/4 from the front of the Seat frame. It also supports the shifting mount at an angle.
    upload_2020-8-5_14-55-41.png
    The height of the Steering mount plate is 20"
    Hope that helps out anyone.
    upload_2020-8-5_14-59-54.png
    The 3 separate frames are very solid and seem to balanced quite well.
    Hope this helps anyone with dimensions of my Rig.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. pfm21

Balance:
    356Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    can tell which connections you used for the 3 engines. the wiring diagram with arduino?
    • Like Like x 2
  13. pfm21

Balance:
    356Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks friend
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Halloween2go

Balance:
    1,407Coins
    Ratings:
    +175 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Here are two videos showing the traction loss range of motion of the RIG using the SMC3 utility motion
    First video
    • Like Like x 2
  15. pfm21

Balance:
    356Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks. But i need elextrical connection
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Halloween2go

Balance:
    1,407Coins
    Ratings:
    +175 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Second video (from the front of the RIG) Showing how my Traction Loss Platform moves and range of motion
    • Like Like x 1
  17. pfm21

Balance:
    356Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Nice friend. Can post electronic connection whit arduino or link where I can see

Nice ring
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Halloween2go

Balance:
    1,407Coins
    Ratings:
    +175 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Pfm21, So the link you may want to look at is here:
    https://www.xsimulator.net/communit...3dof-motor-driver-and-windows-utilities.4957/
    upload_2020-8-5_15-57-5.png
    From the diagram below, hook up the 3rd motor PWM to 11 the 3rd motor ENB to 7 and ENA to 6
    and the 3rd motor POT to A2.
    But be sure to read all the info on the linked page. That's what worked for me.
    Also the SMC3 has (3) three motors it will look at so you can set them up.. The third motor is for traction loss.
    Hope that helps point you in the correct direction on adding the third motor.
    H2go

upload_2020-8-5_15-57-5.png
  19. pfm21

Balance:
    356Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I have built my 2dof ring . Look

And I use arduino and 1 motomonster
    Now I want add traction loss. For control third motor can I add another motomonster?
    • Like Like x 1
  20. pfm21

Balance:
    356Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Can I use this diagram but use only 3 motor?

Attached Files: