1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Not sure where this fits - Creepy Eyes for Valve Index

Discussion in 'Off Topic - All other stuff here' started by Zed, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    The Valve Index HMD has a smoked clear plastic front cover so OLED and LED projects can show through. It’s also got a USB port for power and communication and a small pocket to put circuity and stuff in (the Frunk).

Adafruit has a neat "creepy eyes" project (https://learn.adafruit.com/animated-electronic-eyes-using-teensy-3-1) that uses OLEDs or TFT LCDs so I’ve adapted it to the Frunk space. As an aside, the OLEDs don’t fit. There might be a way to trim the boards but it was trivial to go with the LCD version but still required trimming the mounting ears off.

Just waiting on the multicolor wire wrap wire to put it all together and test it out. It’s of no use to the person wearing the headset but it adds a bit of personalization. The eyes look around and blink spontaneously but I’m adding a photocell and accelerometer to let the pupils dilate in response to light and let them react to motion. It turned out to be a tight fit but should all fit in the Frunk with a small amount of room to spare.

If there is room between the front cover and Frunk to run wires, I’ll add capacitive touch "buttons" to allow sending commands back over USB to the computer - volume being the one I’m most interested in.

891C5781-B390-47B5-A6AB-DF6E7F2517B7.jpeg 3BAA7129-A8F9-4C83-8182-26FA0882D18E.jpeg 7D51351A-7631-4552-A0FF-D2A8B28CF56D.jpeg
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. value1

value1 Nerd SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Balance:
    14,495Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,319 / 11 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    So… the front of your HMD will have eyes and people watching you will see these "eyes" instead of yours? This is ⁣ ⁣ r e a l l y ⁣ ⁣ creepy!
  3. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,834Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Oh yes. :eek:

https://twitter.com/deprecatedcoder/status/1073638143344152577

The eyes with my bracket are set closer together to fit in the Frunk, but this is the basic idea. I’m using the accelerometer to have the eyes look in the direction of head motion.

If Index had eye tracking, it would be really amazing and even a diagnostic to use eye tracking data to cue the eyes in the displays. The code is all already there.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  4. Avee

Avee Virtual Pilot

Balance:
    1,026Coins
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    So how did this work out? Have a valve index as well, the frunk is occupied by a leap motion sensor right now.