1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SFX - 100 ballscrews (350mm) Quality, anti backlash?

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by Trigen, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi chaps

Im looking to find some 350mm ballscrews and there's quite a few at wildly different prices out there. I'd just buy it from the OpenSFX link but they dont have 350mm. The one there is also very cheap Some are marked anti backlash but does it really matter?

Any experiences on ball screws and quality and perhaps some links where you got yours?

Thanks
  2. FargusFaustmeister

FargusFaustmeister Member

Engineering Technologist
    Balance:
    69Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Hey Trigen. I'm in the process of searching for this info as well but I suspect have very little to zero backlash with make a difference to noise and actuator life. Lots of people use SFU style nuts though which have a small amount of backlash, so I don't think it's 100% necessary.
  3. cfischer

cfischer Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,425Coins
    Ratings:
    +235 / 1 / -0
    I used the same contact people used for sfx and just asked for the ballscrews I wanted (400mm 1610).

https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...-simulator-thread.159524/page-98#post-2899157

They had the best deals around for sure but the screws were fairly low quality. They have some wobble to them (bent) and a tiny amount of backlash. For our purposes though they work great and i would take the savings again over quality any day.

Any lack of quality is imperceptible on my rig.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks chaps

I ended up just grabbing some cheap ones. The free shipping was actually really fast in less than 2 weeks from China to Norway. 28$ each so not expensive and on first glance they seem fine. Cant feel any slop at all. Have to test em to feel of course.

Now i'll just have to wait another month and a half for the profiles :) Luckily im spoiled with a 2 dof DIY already or it would have been a long wait lol... Gonna be one hell of an upgrade in the detail though!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ball-Screw...var=564015108413&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
  5. FargusFaustmeister

FargusFaustmeister Member

Engineering Technologist
    Balance:
    69Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    This is really great insight. I've been looking at using a 1210 instead of 1610 to try and reduce the rotating mass, but it easily doubles the price and almost everyone is saying that 300mm/s is superduper fast so lowering that should be a-okay!

Great price! Looking forward to seeing your actuator :) Do you have a build thread yet?
  6. Mehmetbaran187

Mehmetbaran187 New Member

Balance:
    470Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone,
    First post here,
    I would like to improve sfx-100 to 150mm stroke lenght.
    What dimensons for ball screw should i order ? and do i need anything else to change ?

Thank you
  7. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Just increase extrusions, hollow shaft and ball screw by 100mm. That will give you 150mm throw.

Ball screw from 250 to 350 and so on.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Mehmetbaran187

Mehmetbaran187 New Member

Balance:
    470Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the reply.

Assume i did all that, and plus changed ball screw to 1610 instead of 1605.

Presumably i will gain speed but to sacrifice what ? Should i improve the servo motor accordingly ?

Thank you.

9. thenic123

thenic123 New Member

Balance:
    194Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just some questions.

Were the 1610 ball screws purchased? Did the 3d printed sliders fit the 1610 flange?