1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

25:1 Motor placement full sim motion

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by rkbaseball, Jun 9, 2020.

1. rkbaseball

rkbaseball New Member

Student
    Balance:
    139Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hey all,

Did some research and I wanted to confirm some thoughts. I am building a full motion rig (can't go seat mover with current setup) and am trying to figure out motor placement. My Center of Balance is about 60% rearwards in my chassis (Attached photo of U joint location relative to chassis, excuse the mess). I'm trying to figure out the best location to mount my motors. I read that front and rear are drastically different, and that shoulder mount is the ideal location. My chassis will be sitting 7" above the ground on the U joint and 42" rearwards (out of total 64"). My lever arms off the motors are 2" long, which means if I mount them rearwards at 57" I would hit the nose at full travel. Any corrections or thoughts? They're 25:1 motors. The whole chassis will weigh ~250-280 lbs including my weight. The base will be made of 2x4s (I know not preferred but working with a budget for now).

Any advice for placement would be much appreciated! My current plan is to mount the motors 17" behind the U joint and 17" apart with a 2" arm as this gives me a little bit of clearance in the front.

Attached Files:

2. rkbaseball

rkbaseball New Member

Student
    Balance:
    139Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I used the SimCalc application that I found on this site to find some basic settings. The first setup I am going to try is the under-chassis mount. If this works well I am going to leave it. It appears to have better roll efficiency than pitch. But if that does not work I will move to the rear engine mounts. That will hopefully help with pitch efficiency at the cost of roll.
  3. cgodwin

cgodwin Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    2,478Coins
    Ratings:
    +278 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    What are your motor specs? RPM, torque or power? With a slow but powerful motor you want to have it close to the U joint so the sim will move faster with a smaller range of motion of the motor. A fast motor with low torque would work best if moved away from the U joint.
  4. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    is this 2dof ?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. rkbaseball

rkbaseball New Member

Student
    Balance:
    139Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I'm not sure. I believe they're the MCP4 motors with a 25:1 ratio. I bought them because I saw 25:1 ratio and saw some people used them on here. It looks like those gearboxes can be hooked up to different motors though
  6. rkbaseball

rkbaseball New Member

Student
    Balance:
    139Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Yes it is 2DOF. Sorry summer got busy and haven't had a chance to work on it. Figured out a placement that I'm hoping will work with my rig. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice!