1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Renard Christmas controller for motor control?

Discussion in 'Electronic and hardware generally' started by Jake, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Jake

Jake New Member

Balance:
    200Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, AC motor, Arduino, JRK
    I have some of these old Christmas light controllers. They have programmable chips in them, I'm wondering would it be possible to make these work to control an ac motor?

[​IMG]

They can control 24 strings of Lights with 1:00 amp each. I could change that 1 amp though by replacing the little black pieces at the end. They can also dim the lights by regulating the current.

The main reason I'm asking is because I'm not entirely sure how a AC motor driver works. If it just regulates the current then I believe these boards should work, but if it does something with frequency and voltage, then it's probably not going to happen.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Damien602

Damien602 Member

Balance:
    247Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Having used renard controllers for xmas lights I am 90% certain they use PWM for the dimming of lights. They probably cannot interface directly to a motor - the current just isnt there. I am not sure what the 'default' mosfets are rated - I used my own SSR between the Renand and the lights and used 30A mosfets because they were readily available and cheap. That size mosfet should drive many motors, or you could just use bigger mosfets again if you need more current (or run them in parallel).
    But you still have issues even if you can connect it to the motor, since the motor isnt just running in one direction. Reversing the motor would need some form of H bridge which then introduces the problem of controlling direction via the Renard. A second channel could be rigged perhaps?? But the output of the renard channels is sequential so you would have the situation where you are momentarily trying to drive it in both directions. I'm guessing the amount of time and experimenting required to get one to work may be big and other methods easier...
  3. ferslash

ferslash Active Member

Balance:
    4,798Coins
    Ratings:
    +181 / 2 / -0
    if your question is for cience, it may be a grate idead, on the other hand, on a practical approach arduino and another off the shelf controler is super simple

fer