1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question DIY FFB Steering Wheel with encoder motor?

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by celicaraptor, Feb 19, 2020.

1. celicaraptor

celicaraptor New Member

Balance:
    94Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    Hello everyone,
    I am researching about building my own FFB steering wheel after having already made a steering wheel based on a mouse encoder.
    I want to replicate the performance of a logitech G27 which from what i have gathered produces 0.63 kg/cm from each motor so 1.26 kg/cm from both.I have found some motors on aliexpress which produce more than that and i would like some feedback.
    First one is https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33021027082.html and produces 1.52 kg/cm at 1000rpm and 2.8 kg/cm at 531rpm 12V
    Second is https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33016757598.html and produces 5.65 kg/cm at 1000rpm and 10.6 kg/cm at 530 rpm 24V.

The first one consumes 1A stall current and the second one 2.5A.Is the reading correct?It seems a little low to me but logitech does have a 24V 2A power supply for the two motors.
    If i were to go with the first one,it seems that a L298N motor driver would suffice.Otherwise i would go for a BTS7960B.

Also, if i added a 16Teeth 6mm Width pulley on the motor and a 60teeth 8mm pulley on the steel rod as show in this video I would assume that it would increase the torque even more.Is it necessary?Would it increase the stall current?
    Thank you in advance.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,439Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I am pretty sure the stock g27 has a higher gear ratio than that, and stronger motors.
  3. Daud077

Daud077 New Member

Balance:
    82Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Can I use 2x 12v-24v 3500 - 7000 rpm 775 dc motor in this project?
  4. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,439Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Yes you can - Example just 2 posts up!!

Those motors are 0.2nm so your gear ratio will probably need to be high to get decent FFB still
  5. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,439Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    No, Stall current is the same regardless of gearing.