1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question 10K Ohm 10-Turn Precision Potentiometer

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by kevinmarz, Jun 2, 2020.

1. kevinmarz

kevinmarz Member

Balance:
    356Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Just a quick question if someone doesn't mind answering...As for said topic...I been using..Guess you can say the cheapo 10k pot..single turn...I just got 10K Ohm 10-Turn Rotary Wire Wound Precision Potentiometer Pot Pack Of 2 ...So when I hook the 10 turn up to test on Smc3 I notice that it take a lot of turn on these 10 turn (pots) and aren't as fast to get max /min ..up down on the chart as the single turn (pots)..I haven't install them in my sim set up..yet...cause i would have to drill my flex connector out to fit the shaft of the 10 turn (pot)...Anyone using the 10 turn ones..Question is..Finally ..Does it Slow down Movement with the ten turn(pots)...I get really good movement with the single ones...Hall Sensor won't work for me....Thanks for any Help!!
  2. yellofella

yellofella Member

builder
    Balance:
    743Coins
    Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SimforceGT
    Hi buddy
    You may have trouble using your new 10 turn pots with a gearhead motor. For sim control you will only need half a turn max so would have to gear your new pots 20:1 which really isn't practical. They may be better suited to a diy ball screw linear actuator or similar. The best pots you can get for a gearhead motor setup for a sim are 180 degree (half turn) hall sensor pots as will require no gearing, have not got end stops, and no mechanical wear so will last. The cheap pots as you put it are ok to setup and prove a design concept but wear very quickly and as they wear out you will start seeing more and more unwanted vibrations on your sim. Hall effect pots work and connect the same as a cheap pot so don't really see why you cant use them.
    As to weather using a 10 turn pot will slow down the movement I cant really offer an opinion as ive never tried but as mentioned before you may have trouble gearing them to get full resolution( all 10 turns)
    hope this helps
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. kevinmarz

kevinmarz Member

Balance:
    356Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Thank you for taking you time an Replying to my Question..After reading and looking around for information on the Hall Sensors..Is that, you can't switch the Pos/Neg around on the Sensors...So if that being true...I can,t see how I can use them...I can't get my Sim/rig working without doing so...and I can change the design of it either..where can I get a 180 degree (pot) from...that,s I could change the poles around on the Potentiometer,if I had too...which I do...USA..if possible..
  4. cgodwin

cgodwin Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    2,478Coins
    Ratings:
    +278 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    I don't understand why you can't use hall effect sensors. Why would you need to switch the positive and negative back and forth? If the voltage changes the wrong way when the motors move, you can just switch it in the software for opposite operation. I strongly recommend the hall effect sensors over potentiometers. With some rigs a potentiometer failure can cause serious damage and as @yellofella said the hall effect are much more reliable and long lasting.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. kevinmarz

kevinmarz Member

Balance:
    356Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Switch it in the software for opposite motor operation?Is that on the Arduino side of the code or Simstools ..Or SMC3 that I can change motor direction..little bit of a newbie...here...Thank..really need a little help here...Thanks
  6. MarkusB

MarkusB Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    4,212Coins
    Ratings:
    +594 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Or simply switch the motor cables for changing the direction. Won‘t this work for you?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. kevinmarz

kevinmarz Member

Balance:
    356Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Yes..I switch the the power cables around...seems to work..where Are you Guys getting the Hall Sensors from..nothing on Amazon...I would like to order them...
  8. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Farnell and rs components sell the hall effect pots, they are under £15 and work great
  9. kevinmarz

kevinmarz Member

Balance:
    356Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    does Anyone have a USA web link for these..they have so many to choice from :sos
  10. cgodwin

cgodwin Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    2,478Coins
    Ratings:
    +278 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I got mine from DigiKey in the US. It has been a few years but I'll see if I can hunt down the specific ones I got and a link. Not very expensive considering what a critical component that is.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. cgodwin

cgodwin Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    2,478Coins
    Ratings:
    +278 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Here is what I used. This specific part is out of stock right now and has gone up in price since I bought mine. But there are plenty of other ones out there. https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=987-1392-ND

There are options on Amazon (search "Rotary Hall Effect Encoder") but they are very expensive there. Mouser Electronics is another good option.
  12. kevinmarz

kevinmarz Member

Balance:
    356Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Screenshot_2020-06-02 6127V1A180L 5FS BI Technologies TT Electronics Mouser.png Screenshot_2020-06-02 6127V1A180L 5FS BI Technologies TT Electronics Mouser.png

Attached Files:

13. kevinmarz

kevinmarz Member

Balance:
    356Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    the one over on Digikey are on Backorder,I put the part number in on the mouser search..came up with the Sensor? will it do? are they the same?...Also looking @ the Shaft on the Sensor..It has that little cut out ..instead of it being a full round shaft..At the end..Does this cause problems when using the flex connector set up..
  14. cgodwin

cgodwin Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    2,478Coins
    Ratings:
    +278 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I'm not sure what your build is like, so I'm not positive this one will work for you. This model is 5 volts and has a 180 degree rotation range. It actually turns completely around freely, but it only senses position for 180 degrees. So you need to make sure that is okay for you. For most sim's that use a lever arm that works great.

The flat spot is helpful to keep the sensor shaft from turning separate from the motor. Ideally you would have set screw locking into the flat spot. But even if you don't have a set screw (I don't) it helps a little to keep the motor and hall effect sensor aligned. It is also make it easier to see where the zero position is.

Here is my setup with a piece of hose attaching the motor shaft to the hall effect sensor with a short piece of hose. If things malfunction and the motor just keeps spinning, the linkage will hit the hose and pull it off the hall effect without breaking anything. It is just friction that holds that end together. I have enough clearance the motor lever won't hit the ground or any structural piece.
    Sim Hall Effect.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  15. kevinmarz

kevinmarz Member

Balance:
    356Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Thanks for all the help...Yeah I got mine set up like Dof Reality..and I use the set flex coupler..works great..I won't build another one of these type gear motor builds without them now...So they're the Hall Sensor I need to Buy...Cool..awesome..Thanks so much ..everyone..for the input..:cheers

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. kevinmarz

kevinmarz Member

Balance:
    356Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Here,s my 2 DiY builds...One set up for just Vr ..the other one under the stairs is more set up for Arcade style flat gaming....but,is also Vr...but..I like both Styles of Gaming...

Just placed my order...3 for 73 $$I know I could use 5 of them...LOL..What size wire Are you guys using on My new to be Hall effect Sensors....Is there any types of clips on wiring I can purchase For easy plug and play...or Am I soldering wires on to them...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  17. yellofella

yellofella Member

builder
    Balance:
    743Coins
    Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SimforceGT
    Hi again buddy.
    Good news that you got the right pots on order. As for your question regarding the cable to wire your pots id suggest 28awg shielded. Get a usb cable and cut the ends off then solder 3 of the wires to your pot (red, black and white for signal). Cut the green wire back as you wont need this then connect the other end to the Arduino( red=5v, black=groung, white=A0). At the Arduino end only connect the shield (braided wire or foil surrounding cables) to ground to prevent emi noise from the motors coupling to the pot wires
    Hope this helps
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. kevinmarz

kevinmarz Member

Balance:
    356Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Yes!!...Yes that Helps out a lot!!...Thank you :cheers