1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question SFX-100 for Flight simming. Angles, lateral forces on actuators. How well does it work?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Trigen, May 27, 2020.

1. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi chaps

While i have a very good setup for cars i'm considering going for the SFX 100 in a 3 actuator config as it's not that smooth at low speeds. What i'm wondering though is what the max angles are and how much the lateral force will affect the O rings and so on. How well will this work? Also do you feel its more than enough for flight? I mainly do helicopters

Im also considering extending it to 150mm but the question is, would i need to modify it with some pivot points or not for maximum angles etc. Anyone done some mods to it?

Another thing is that i'd like for the motors to be mounted on the side and use some kind of belt. This way i could free up some space and maybe use pivot points on the bottom attached to a frame.

All inputs are welcome

Thanks!

Chris
    Last edited: May 27, 2020
  2. cfischer

cfischer Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,515Coins
    Ratings:
    +241 / 1 / -0
    I built a rig that is very close to the SFX actuator using machined parts instead of printed etc. My actuators are 230mm of travel. I never use that much though because changing angles feels more like sway than roll or surge than pitch. The center of rotation is way too low to get a good feeling of the angle. My advise for you if you want to pitch and roll is to build a floor frame with the actuators facing up and attach to a (much lighter) rig at the center of mass so your roll center and mass center are closer or the same. I plan on doing this sometime in the future.

As for angled forces on the actuator, I think they can handle it fine even with the LMK30UU (dont need the LMK30LUU) bearing.

As for folding the actuator with a belt I highly agree, especially if you take my first advise because flipped upside down they will be tall tall tall.

Also I will comment on the 3 actuator design, I'm not doing much flying so my movements are quick so you might be different but the rig is way less stable on 3 legs. I have had to reach out and grab a desk nearby to keep from completely falling over in roll. Not an issue when I had all 4 actuators on there. I've since had to tune it down in the sway so I don't die falling over in my pretend race car. Of course having a rig that can do 230mm of travel and centering my motion in the middle of this @115mm puts me that much higher in the air and I'm that much more likely to tip. I'm neglecting it right now and just running lower forces because I will someday change the rig as described above.

Other than potential tip I recommend 3 actuators, there is so much power in these motors that I cant tell a difference by taking one away. Use that 4th motor for belt tension or something.
    Last edited: May 27, 2020
  3. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Appreciate the in depth answer!

Something like this would be optimal but i think that will be my second undertaking. I will look into the motor side mounting though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=fwXVGj8OcWE&feature=emb_logo

I dont have the room for much more roll than i have now with 60mm travel anyway for roll/sway but i want to have the option later. Pitch is another matter which will be very good for flying. I also drive about 80% of the time.

What height does the extrusion have for the 230mm range?
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
  4. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    You can just add say 100mm to the measurements to add that range right, since its all basically together then?
  5. cfischer

cfischer Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,515Coins
    Ratings:
    +241 / 1 / -0
    My extrusion is 16.375" long. But don't take my measurements and apply them to the sfx parts. I used locally sourced used extrusion and faster ball screws and slightly higher torque motors. I have my actuator all drawn out so I know it works/fits.

actuator.jpg
  6. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks. I ended up just extending everything by 100mm. Should be happy with that.

Most of the things are on the way so I hope I'm up and running in a month or two. Shipping is a is like a divorce. Half your money gone. Not far off anyhow