1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Budget motor for Direct Drive?

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by WatchDoge, May 20, 2020.

1. WatchDoge

WatchDoge New Member

Balance:
    158Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hello, How viable is using MY1016, 1020, 1025 for a Direct Drive? Will any of them produce enough or any amount of torque to make them a viable option without belts and ratios.

Some sources claim 1016 has 5Nm of stall torque(correct me if I'm wrong) and you can overdrive them.

I've looked around this forum and some use them with belts and some without, some recommend 16 or 20.

If not direct drive , does belt driven setup perform well ?
  2. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
  3. WatchDoge

WatchDoge New Member

Balance:
    158Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
  4. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
  5. WatchDoge

WatchDoge New Member

Balance:
    158Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Sorry if I sound rude , but I've read that post before and there was an on going debate about my1016 and 1020 and maybe glossed over the last point made there . And it was posted 2017 , so I thought maybe someone will update me on the situation or give some tips or feedback. And there were some Designing a belt driver setup .
    And you yourself gave advice of using 2 of them.

Could you please give ~amount of Nm from a direct setup you are running , or Amps( if its possible of course) ?
    Or at least is it worth it to make a 1016/20 DD setup ?

Thank you
  6. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,610Coins
    Ratings:
    +458 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    i don't know the torque of the wheel

but you can work it out

find the stall torque of the 1kw version of the motor (i think 3.2 nm)
    divide it by the radius of the steering wheel and you can calculate the torque yourself

i don't recommend a gear and pulley - it will dull the sensitivity of the wheel

if the motor is not powerful enough - use 2 of them !
    (or use a smaller steering wheel ;) )

in reality people order a powerful sim wheel and have to turn it down to get a realistic feedback

I watched a video where a racing driver tried an OSW - he had to turn it down to 30% to get it to feel realistic !

------------------------------------------------------------

unsure of your wheel diameter but

if you used a 400 mm dia wheel and you had 3.2 nm motor torque

3.2 / 0.2 = 16 NM torque at the wheel

you have to learn this stuff to work it out

if you want to guarantee a good wheel buy a OSW that is pre built

if you want to have some fun build your own !

(Things have moved on since 2017 and Thanos has just built a board that uses the Disco board with a servo motor- neat and simple solution. I am planning to build one soon enough)
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
  7. WatchDoge

WatchDoge New Member

Balance:
    158Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much . I know about the 30% ffb thing , I don't intend to run it too hard , but I was curious about the torque of the motor itself . And if you are saying its performing well then I appreciate your feedback.