1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Potentiometer calibration

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by drzmat, May 13, 2020.

1. drzmat

drzmat Member

Balance:
    184Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hi, i will soon be ready to test my electronics for my 2DOF setup running smc3 code.

Is there an easy way to find my potentiometer center position before installing my ctc lever?

Can it be done in smc3utils?

I have hall effects potentiometers.

Thanks in advance!
  2. cgodwin

cgodwin Active Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    2,478Coins
    Ratings:
    +278 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, Joyrider
    I wired mine up and read the voltage off the potentiometer to get it into the center position before attaching the lever. My linkage is setup in a way where it is quite easy to adjust it mechanically without messing with anything in software.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. MarkusB

MarkusB Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    4,212Coins
    Ratings:
    +594 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    I always do it this way:
    • Make sure that the motor can rotate freely 360°. (In my case I have to disconnect the motor lever from the rod that goes to the seat base.)
    • Start SMC3 Utility and let the motor find the center position of the pot. After this, the motor lever will probably not be centered, but point into a different direction.
    • Disconnect the pot from the motor and slowly turn the pot a little bit by hand, so that the motor starts moving. When the motor lever has reached its center position, turn the pot into the opposite direction, so that the motor movement stops.
    • Connect the pot to the motor again.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. drzmat

drzmat Member

Balance:
    184Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Hey big thanks for your help guys! Exactly what i wanted to know!