1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DD-Wheel with Hoverboard Motor

Discussion in 'Direct Drive Wheels' started by Benu, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Could you show the circuit with brake resistor or some more info regarding the connections.
  2. Benu

Benu Member

Balance:
    1,295Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    That looks usable, and expensive compared to the other boards we have. The final product will be around €200.
  3. danove_b

danove_b Active Member

Balance:
    1,792Coins
    Ratings:
    +79 / 3 / -0
    I made a simplified schematic of my build. The braking circuit is as simple as the picture shows.
    upload_2020-4-5_12-28-36.png

upload_2020-4-5_12-29-8.png
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. fzxj520

fzxj520 Active Member

Balance:
    1,341Coins
    Ratings:
    +87 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Try to establish a connection to MMOs or EMC with my limited knowledge
    MMOS.jpg
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  5. danove_b

danove_b Active Member

Balance:
    1,792Coins
    Ratings:
    +79 / 3 / -0
    The ESC card has only one PWM input, so you must configure MMOS to use the 0-50-100 output. (0 = -100, 50 = 0, 100 = 100). Also the Z input cannot be connected to the encoder when you use it as an output for the braking resistor.
  6. fzxj520

fzxj520 Active Member

Balance:
    1,341Coins
    Ratings:
    +87 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    f
    Thank you very much. I don't know if the current wiring is correct
    MMOS2.jpg
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. fzxj520

fzxj520 Active Member

Balance:
    1,341Coins
    Ratings:
    +87 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Should 5V and GND be connected like this?
    MMOS3.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  8. danove_b

danove_b Active Member

Balance:
    1,792Coins
    Ratings:
    +79 / 3 / -0
    It's the same 5V and GND so you can connect it where it suite you best. About the Z signal, you could still connect the Z signal between the MMOS and the encoder if you want, but if you have geared it down like me you have no use for it actually. The Z from the ESC should only be connected to the braking resistor circuit.
  9. fzxj520

fzxj520 Active Member

Balance:
    1,341Coins
    Ratings:
    +87 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Okay, here is my understanding of reading this thread
    ----------------
    Quote: “ ……but if you have geared it down like me you have no use for it actually……”
    A, when the encoder resolution * 4 <16384, mmos can still connect to the z signal (the function of implementing the mmosZ signal), and does not affect the Z signal function of the ESC.
    ----------------
    B. The encoder uses 900 or 1200 or 1800 ... resolution is the best choice. Currently I have an encoder 2000
    ----------------
    C, HBBFB_20200130 this code is only applicable to hoverboard control board control board
    ----------------
    D, B-G431B-ESC1 driver board using 24V power supply will damage the driver board
    ssssss.png
    ----------------
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  10. danove_b

danove_b Active Member

Balance:
    1,792Coins
    Ratings:
    +79 / 3 / -0
    A: Z is probably only useful if you have a 1:1 ratio between the encoder and the wheel. You might get it work if the calibration routine in the MMOS always turn the wheel in the same direction, and the software ignores the Z signal after the initial one.

B: It all depends of your gearing ratio, and also if it's 2000 ppr or cpr. I guess it is ppr, and then you get 2000 *4 = 8000 cpr and you cannot go over 1:2 in ration roughly. (2 x 8000 = 16000)

C: Yes. DM Benu and ask if he can share his code with you...

D: Yea. I wasn't aware of that at first, but you don't need more then 12 Volts for the application.
  11. Feisty

Feisty New Member

Balance:
    169Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor
    I could be wrong but I didnt think the encoder count mattered that much. Ive been using a 600ppr encoder with an 8:1 belt ratio which gets me 4800ppr
    This board is capable of running 6s which when fully charged is 25.2v
    My motor ran through the motor profiler much better at 24v than 12
  12. Benu

Benu Member

Balance:
    1,295Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    When using the G431B-ESC in an STM Workbench project, automatically filled in values for supply voltage are 10V-28V and powerstage values are 8V-28V. So there seems to be some headroom.
    "Nominal voltage" is filled in from motor parameters.

Project start.PNG Power stage.PNG
  13. fzxj520

fzxj520 Active Member

Balance:
    1,341Coins
    Ratings:
    +87 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    It's good news to be able to use 24V normally
    ------------
    I also found a rich selection of in-wheel motors.
    There is a rated 24V.
    There is also torque up to 18nm, but the price is slightly higher.
    There is also an agv wheel servo motor with a magnetic encoder, the price is quite high.
    Of course I still feel that the 36V cheap Hoverboard Motor is already very suitable for me
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  14. fzxj520

fzxj520 Active Member

Balance:
    1,341Coins
    Ratings:
    +87 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    :thumbs
    Great work!
    The DD-Wheel of HoverBoard motor has far exceeded the DD-Wheel of H-bridge drive DC motor
  15. manu79

manu79 New Member

Balance:
    91Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hello guys.
    I am a new user. Sorry for my english. I'm italian.
    Manu79, I created this post on drivingitalia (https://www.drivingitalia.net/index.php?/forums/topic/76596-volante-direct-drive-con-arduino-stm32/) and I built this steering wheel at the time DD.
    Thanks to Etienne and his software. Although eventually the steering wheel was finished with mmos.
    I have some free time, I was about to try something similar with brushless motors (instead of a my1020 as in the past) and I would like to help you in this project that seems so promising.
    I intend (pending the new Etienne sw) to use mmos with its pwm.
    Is it possible to have the firmware of the b-g431b-esc1 and a basic connection diagram? So you have a base to start from.
    Thank you guys. Really great job.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Exosphere146

Exosphere146 New Member

Balance:
    67Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Hello everyone,
    I've been looking at this and other hoverboard DD wheel threads for some time and I feel like it's time to build my own.

I have made myself a parts list that I would use for this project. I plan on using a no-name chinese 6.5" 250W 36V hoverboard motor. I would control it through MMOs on STM32-DISCOVERY and B-G431B-ESC1. I am also looking into using AMT103-V encoder, but I saw somewhere on this thread that the built-in hall sensors might also be sufficient. Is that right?

My question is what PSU I should use. I have found two PSUs for quite cheap and a similar price: 24V 14.6A and 12V 17A. Which one should I get? I do not plan to be using more than 8 Nm on my wheel. Also, would the brake resistor Ohm value change depending on the PSU voltage?

Thank you all for working on this project
  17. Psszemek

Psszemek New Member

Balance:
    45Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi

I'm working on my DIY steering wheel base and I already have DC motor with all the belts etc. But I'm wondering if I could switch to brushless motor using this solution?
    There are cheap BLDC motors that could be suitable with some gearing, will it work?
  18. Benu

Benu Member

Balance:
    1,295Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Hi Psszemek,

your are correct, this a brushless motor DIY DD-Wheel base. We use salvaged hoverboard motors without gearing. You can get those for around 40€ a piece.
    And yes, it works. Torque produced is 8-10 Nm.

Look at the referenced videos in this thread to see it in action.

-Benu
  19. Benu

Benu Member

Balance:
    1,295Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Hi Exosphere146,

the built-in hall sensors will give you 90 ppr. I did not try those, but my strong guess is, that it would not be a good solution. Even if it would work for motor control (which I doubt in our case), the lack of steering precision while racing would spoil the fun.

Personally I use a 12V 65A PSU because I had one at hands. Both PSUs would do the job.

I haven't tried a 24V PSU (yet), but it seems they are better suited to cope with back EMF. You probably can avoid using a braking resistor. But others in this thread have more experience with 24V and braking resistors.

-Benu
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. manu79

manu79 New Member

Balance:
    91Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hello.
    As I have already written, I was also starting a similar project.
    I already have a hoverboard motor, omron encoder, stm32 discovery with mmos, an infinite series of power supplies (12,24,48).
    I had purchased a cheap 500w controller from china (I'm waiting for it).
    Then I saw this project and I would also gladly buy a b-g431b motor controller card if I had adequate firmware and wiring diagrams.
    Is there a possibility that those who already have a working steering wheel share everything?
    Maybe with a step-by-step guide.
    Thanks very much!
    And sorry for my english