1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Wickie´s 6DOF Sim

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by PeterW, Aug 3, 2019.

1. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    That's fine if you like how it feels - it's your sim. But have a look at this video - lots more on youtube.

Your although dead right that our small sims cannot generate extended pressure through the turn, but that is what G-systems are for :).
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  2. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,169 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I don't totally agree with you.
    But that's more of a personal preference.

Example, the lateral sway.
    Turning right is going to generate a pressure in your left side, that's why the rig moves right in my setups, to generate that pressure.
    And also why it rolls left.
    Now in VR this is acceptable (or in a big FOV and immersive monitor).
    But I ended up accepting that many expect the opposite without VR.

In reality, if we want to simulate forces, we should follow one path, others want to simulate the car movement.

When you simulate it in your G Force system, I think that's what you make. At least that's what I would try to do.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,169 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    @PeterW , the rig looks great!
    But I also find the movements to violent, I think you need to tune it down a bit.
  4. thefost

thefost Member

Balance:
    242Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Your rig looks amazing! Did you notice any difference in noise with the yoga mat dampeners?
  5. Rad

Rad New Member

IT
    Balance:
    87Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hey Peter,
    Interesting comment, both you and @SilentChill appear to have come to the same conclusion. What makes you recommend the other two over the ODrive, outside of the PITA setup? I think you initially preferred the ODrive solution on price point, I think it's a little bit easier to swallow for sure.
    I'm currently underway with a copy of your rig but, I'm somewhat on the fence regarding the final actuator solution. The ODrive appears to the the cheapest here in AUS, even with the terrible exchange rate. Getting 6 80ST-M02430 units is already close to ~$2500 AUD and that's before you factor in Thanos' controller.
    Would be great to hear your thoughts.
    Thanks,
    Rad
  6. JAD

JAD Active Member

Balance:
    1,446Coins
    Ratings:
    +141 / 3 / -0

@PeterW
    Can I ask about your switch or button on the steering wheel I see you use to move the rig up and down from the park or home position.
    I presume Mover is connected to the ODrive throughout this whole video.
    Is that JoyToKey at work? That is you have a joystick button press activating a keyboard shortcut such as ALT+O to turn on the Outputs in Mover?
    Or is it by some other method?
  7. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,169 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I'm not @PeterW ,

But next build of Mover includes this.
    Until now, there was only a hotkey for keyboard. (So Peter is using something like JoyToKey if it's through Mover)
    I added a joystick source and joystick buttons detection.
    It's something I really needed in my rig.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. lromaniuk

lromaniuk bny

Software Programmer
    Balance:
    366Coins
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Due to limited movement range small and also big motion platforms incorporate thing that is called tilt coordination in their motion cueing software. There are numerous papers and research that was done covering this topic.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...rd_accelerations_on_a_stewart_motion_platform

Sure probably a gseat might be better since tilt coordination may introduce false cues if done wrong - it should be unnoticable to our brain that we are tilting instead of being pulled by centrifugal forces. Thats why rotation rate in tilt coordination must be keeped in a sweet spot that is not obvious, but it is possible to find some good figueres in papaers covering this topic. A gseat is also not perfect as a person is pushed by an opposing force instead of being pulled by a centrifugal force. Anyways both solutions are just to trick our brains and both are far from being close to reality :)
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Will974

Will974 Active Member

Industrial Ingeenering Teacher
    Balance:
    875Coins
    Ratings:
    +112 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi peter,

I hope that you have see the thread about my project : https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/6-dof-odrive-bldc-new-design.14580/#post-196196

I need an information about the piston of your linear actuator. Which material did you use for the outside round tube of the piston and which thickness ?
    I would like to use aluminium but it is difficult to have it with the chrome surface.
    I see in bricolage store, that we have also table foot which can be use as a piston :)

Thanks
  10. Will974

Will974 Active Member

Balance:
    875Coins
    Ratings:
    +112 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi,

Why do you say Odrive "Painfull way " ? Yet, you and @SilentChill use sucessfully Odrive . It is a new way, so it is normal to find it difficult but not with your experience now :) Personally, i am going to use Odrive+BLDC way in my project, considering my calculs and the performances of your rig and @SilentChill . It's seems to be more powerful and reactive. It is my opinion ;-)
  11. PeterW

PeterW alias Wickie

Dipl. Ing. Mb (FH)
    Balance:
    1,608Coins
    Ratings:
    +360 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  12. Will974

Will974 Active Member

Balance:
    875Coins
    Ratings:
    +112 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I read your post and it is ok for me. As you, i like challenges and learning. Odrives is for me :);)
    • Like Like x 1
  13. cfischer

cfischer Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,425Coins
    Ratings:
    +234 / 1 / -0
    Love the setup, how about some dirt rally 2 videos?
    I look forward to pitch like you have going up and down the hills in Australia.
  14. Mzeid

Mzeid New Member

Marine Engineer
    Balance:
    87Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF

Could you share the calculator ?!
  15. PeterW

PeterW alias Wickie

Dipl. Ing. Mb (FH)
    Balance:
    1,608Coins
    Ratings:
    +360 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi @thefost
    Sorry, but It seems I forgot to give you an answer to you question.
    Yes, the yoga mats do definetly reduce the noise. I would say something about 30% better.
    But not all yoga mats will work as good. In my experience It has to be more rubber than a lightweight foam.
    Wickie
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. PeterW

PeterW alias Wickie

Dipl. Ing. Mb (FH)
    Balance:
    1,608Coins
    Ratings:
    +360 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi @cfischer
    I have the dirt rally game, but wasnt able to get everything running in VR and motion the same time....sometimes its a littl tricky. But I will try it again soon :)
    Wickie
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Mzeid

Mzeid New Member

Marine Engineer
    Balance:
    87Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    @PeterW Man i am speechles, you did an amazing job thats a fine craftsmanship, i think you have some hardware construction eperiences.
    i would like to start my project and i am in the data gathering phase and my main issue was determining the required motor as moneywise not all the options are available, but when i saw your thread i can say that 60% i will choose BLDC + Odrive, my other option is a high torque ~12N.m. stepper motor with 1:6 gearing to compensate for the low RPM whilst have a decent torque.

but i have some enquiries about the Odrive, how you control 3 boards via 1 USB connection is there some how a possibility to connect the boards to each other or you connect them to 3 USB ports

second i checked Odrive documentation, and wandering if the current command is a one time order, means at the start point of the project i can programme the board to limit the current to motor for safety concerns through out the life span of the sim.

Thats for now, i would like to say that you inspired me, and appreciate you shared the CAD files but i dont like to copy & paste what you did as you have done all the hard work, and its my turn to do some hard work too, i believe that people like us are born to Innovate, Create and Invent.

Rgards
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Will974

Will974 Active Member

Balance:
    875Coins
    Ratings:
    +112 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi @PeterW

As you talk about noise, i include as you into the conception of my linear actuator 4 silent bloc between the BLDC motor and the
    Hi @PeterW

As you talked about noise, i ask me a question :

I have include as you did, in the conception of my linear actuator, 4 cylinder damper between the motor and the main cylinder part.
    Is there finally an efficient solution to limit vibration of the motor and consequently the noise ?

Will
  19. PeterW

PeterW alias Wickie

Dipl. Ing. Mb (FH)
    Balance:
    1,608Coins
    Ratings:
    +360 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi Will,
    From the beginning of my project I knew that reducing noise will be an important thing.
    So I followed some different concepts:
    1. Damping the motor vibration
    2. Using more precise ballscrews
    3. Closing the actuator (no open design)
    4. Using a rubber (design;)) mat around the cylinders.
    5. Using strong universal joints to avoid jerky and noisy movements of the rig.
    6. I use a special grease that also reduces noise a little.

Each application helped a little to reduce the noise. And now I can say in real life, my actuators sound like I want them to sound. You can hear them - of course, but they have a pleasant smooth sound.
    Ah.... somethig more that I can report: one of my actuators still has a cheap chinese ballscrew. And this one is aprox. 30% louder than the other actuators with expensive quality ballscrews......
    Wickie
    • Like Like x 1
  20. PeterW

PeterW alias Wickie

Dipl. Ing. Mb (FH)
    Balance:
    1,608Coins
    Ratings:
    +360 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi @Mzeid
    I love your last sentence....born to Innovate, create and Invent - ....I have no more to add.
    You are wellcome to copy my work and its an honor for me (as long as you dont use it commercially). Its no need to reinvent things only to make them different. Focus on optimising, making it cheaper, printable......
    I am sure you will manage your great project!! But be prepared for a long, expensive and sometimes desperating way (especially with the Odrives ;)).
    Warm regards
    Wickie
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1