1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Parts Verification

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Grimspyder, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Grimspyder

Grimspyder New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    146Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hello,
    I'm planning to build a 3DOF seat mover, and eventually use the parts to build a full frame 6DOF.
    Currently I want to build a working test model with all the parts minus the actual motors, and use a servo to make sure everything is working correctly then, Ill order the motors and begin the actual seat mover.
    These are the part I wanted to use for the electrical / control portion. Just wanted to make sure these parts would work before ordering them
    Thanks Motion Sim Parts.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Mike5050

Mike5050 New Member

Chiropractor
    Balance:
    271Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    What motors do you plan to use?
  3. Grimspyder

Balance:
    146Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure yet. So from what i'm understanding a lot goes into deciding what motors to use, like wight of the platform, weight of the person, weight of the equipment on the platform, length of the of the crank arm, the design platform.
    I do know that it will be mainly a flight Sim and of course a driving sim now and again.
    So i wanted the parts i bought to handle a few motor options.
    I should have added that I will be using marine batteries and possibly capacitors in conjunction with the PSU to drive the motors.

Attached is the PSU specs. So I'm limited to 12V motors. Also ill be using 220V on two separate breakers to power everything. HP Moition SIM PSU_spec2.jpg HP Moition SIM PSU.jpg

One last thing, If needed i'll use Gas Struts if weight becomes an issue, for the motors.

Thanks
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  4. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    From experience, a good reliable DC motor setup that will support and move quickly a rigs+pilots weight turns out to be not cheap. IMO the powerful AC servo setups that are available today are a much better choice and end up being not that much more in cost once everything is taken into account. It is what I would be looking at if I had any intentions of building another standard 3DOF/6DOF motion rig. Certain worth your time to at least look into it.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  5. Mike5050

Mike5050 New Member

Chiropractor
    Balance:
    271Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Why do you need batteries for this setup?
  6. Grimspyder

Balance:
    146Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I've read that using a battery will help control voltage/amp spikes, by having the necessary power available, reduce the chance of tripping a breaker during one of those spikes.
  7. Grimspyder

Balance:
    146Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Ill look into it, I have read that AC motors where good options.
    I was thinking that by going DC i could add in a battery for each motor and reduce the chance of power issues. From what i've been looking at, a 6DOF rig is going to be power hungry.
  8. Grimspyder

Balance:
    146Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    After bunch of reading I am going to stick with DC, seems like there are just better options with DC motors for speed and torque, also main reason is safety. A 12V DC system is far safer than 220V AC motor, plus the kids will be using this so, ill err on the safety side.
    But it is a good option.
  9. Grimspyder

Balance:
    146Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Question for the guys have used both JRK and Arduino, how did you like the each and why did you switch from one to the other?
    It seems (from what i found and read) that JRK was more popular few years ago, seems like the Arduino being used more recently.
    But' it seems that for better responsiveness and overall ease of use the JRK would be better choice, and that is mainly if your building a driving sim, where the faster speed of the JRK would work better.
    I guess the Arduino gives more flexibility.
    Just looking on what the thoughts are on each.

Thanks