1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

another DIY Wind Simulator

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by DJ_reaper, Aug 21, 2019.

1. DJ_reaper

DJ_reaper Sim racing fan Gold Contributor

IT
    Balance:
    88Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    After reading here about wind simulators, I looked into building my own.

I got all the parts and copied the various plans but ran in trouble with Arduino code outdated and app code not working on windows 10 and confusing settings about frequencies and fan noise.

I decided to have a go at building my own from scratch with the goal of it being very simple and low cost. It gave me an excuse to understand the iRacing telemetry API, Arduino sketch coding and and whole lot about PWM and arduino timer frequencies.

This design uses PWM Controlled PC cooling Fans. It only needs a low cost Arduino to drive it. No Motor Shield or Monster Moto driver is required because of the use of PWM controlled fans, no Inductors or costly power supplies.

The following link provides plans for how you can make a very low cost simple Wind Simulator for iRacing.

I designed this to use only easy to get parts with minimal coding and soldering needed.

https://github.com/Crypto69/Wind-Simulator-Project

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see a video of it in action here:

It would be very easy to get Simtools to drive this design.

Let me know what you think.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Daniel M.

Daniel M. New Member

Balance:
    17Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    I’m currently building this and followed the read me file. However, when I get to the iracing wind simulator software link I don’t see the link to download. Would you mind sending me that?

thanks,

Dan
  3. xGroot

xGroot New Member

Balance:
    120Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Joyrider, SimforceGT
    That looks great! I'll just finish installing the brake pads and v-twin shocks and I'll try this project. Gonna follow your leads here.