1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom ODrive Turnigy 190kv BLDC 6DOF - Here we go again

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by SilentChill, Oct 12, 2019.

1. JAD

JAD Active Member

Balance:
    1,446Coins
    Ratings:
    +141 / 3 / -0
    I see now looking through the pictures.
    Im surprised that total ~1500W is sufficient but I can see that its worked for many hours of constant use.
    I cant help but think that we collectively have been rounding up the power supply requirements each time we embark on a 6dof project for 'just in case' since its not much more money to oversize.
    Maybe all this time we are going overboard.
    Good to see a data point at the low end working just fine.
  2. robjos1

robjos1 Member

Flying about
    Balance:
    30Coins
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    If you download the latest FlyPT Mover 2.9 you'll find some of silentchill's profiles are provided as examples. These contain his geometry details
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Patwo

Patwo New Member

Balance:
    98Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hai Silent,

Watched your 2 new videos and thanx for all the effort putting into it.... got one question though ...

Which are the "Fanassi "AASD Boards you are talking about, I guess I am not spelling it right ?!....

I searched them on Google but no joy.....and why would you go that path instead of the O-Drives...., except that the GUI of the O-Drives is a nightmare ?!..... Are they better or the same for use for the 6 DOF ...

Regards
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Patwo

Patwo New Member

Balance:
    98Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Seems I Found them after all ... Thanos AASD ... :) .. still any extra info would be appreciated :) THANX
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,693Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
  6. Patwo

Patwo New Member

Balance:
    98Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hai again ...

Both Silent and Thanos, thank you very much both for the explanations, videos and all that you have shared with us....

I am very interested in building my 6DOF with the AASD - 15A Servo controller.....however I like the "Actuator Design" from Silent as well.... to stick with his Build .. ( and the STL files ) I like the idea of the Turnigy motors....but here comes my immediate problem ....

If I would stick with the original design with Turnigy 190KV Motors..... but I will SKIP the O-Drives...(.as told at the end of the videos...).. WHAT !? MotorDrivers shoudl I use than ?!, and HOW do I connect ( wire ) them up on the Thanos AASD15A. I have found the SaberTooth 2X 25A motor drivers.. they should definitely work with the Turnigy's.... But as Silent uses the seperate ENCODERS... I am trying to find out the SETUP and WIRING of the Motor Drivers + Encoders to the Thanos AASD 15 A with the 25D SUB cable .... I guess it would be possible ... but the SUBD25 cable male to male does not fit standard into the motor en encoder and should probably be modified for use with the AASD15A .... ?!?!

In all the build videos I mainly see connections to the standard Servo Drivers , which plug in with the SUBD25 cabels directly into the AASD15A.... but that would require a completely new design of the actuators....and I do like the smaller Turnigy motors for less noise ;)

Looking forwardfor any technical info on WIRING ( modification ) and maybe setup from the AASD15A to the Turnigy and AMT 102-V CUI encoders.... if that is possible I guess that is the way to go for me.

Silent : ..Could you provide me with any extra info on how you would implement the Thanos AASD 15A in your setup ... like you told us in the end of the Odrive setup video ?!

Thanos : Do you have some info on how to connect ...any motor drive ( or the sabertooth ) for the Turnigy motors to your AASD15A !? I could not find it or did not look in the right spot so far...

I am still amazed what fantastic products you both make and design .... and getting more enthusiast every day for my own 6 DOF build ... :) :) !

Regards Patrick
  7. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,693Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    Hi Patrick,

You are trying to mix two different technologies, it won't work!

The AMC-AASD15A servo motion controller is designed to be plug and play with 110v-220v AASD-15A servo drives and AC servomotors (absolute positioning mode) like this one here:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32973113245.html

The AMC-AASD15A does not support these brushless Turnigy motors, as you can only control them in speed mode not absolute positioning mode... you need drives like the Odrive to generate the voltage these brushless motor need but also to facilitate PID loop control based on the phase feedback output these brushless motor have instead of encoders.

The AMC-AASD15A does not read back any information from encoders of the servomotor, there is no need for that. Instead it keeps a virtual model of the servomotor it controls with absolute position buffer and always know its position based on the automatic torque home calibration, once the motor presence is detected (valid AASD-15A motor is connected on one of the DB25 ports).

You can find manual and example connection information for the AMC-AASD15A here:
    https://github.com/tronicgr/AMC-AASD15A-Firmware

I hope this explains a bit the differences in technology used on each, and trust me, one won't work with the other...

Thanks
    Thanos
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  8. Patwo

Patwo New Member

Balance:
    98Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hai Thanos,

Thank you very much for the clear explanation...You just saved me a lot of time,... figuring out things that couldn't be done anyway :) ...haha... I get the picture now

Regards Patrick
  9. Flymen

Flymen Flymen Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,415Coins
    Ratings:
    +191 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
  10. misoswan

misoswan Active Member

Balance:
    1,000Coins
    Ratings:
    +72 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, JRK
    I started printing 3d parts.but I don't see where I'm going in the video Limit Switches.you can explain it to me? thank
  11. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    There are no limit switches
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Pierre Lalancette

Pierre Lalancette Sir Lalancelot Gold Contributor

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +883 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Hello SilentChill.
    I did not have updates about your new videos.
    I am impressed on how smooth everything seems to be.
    Good work (as always).
  13. SilentChill

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks matey it's all been running great so far , it great to just switch on and jump in without having to fiddle with a thousand things first
    • Like Like x 1
  14. robjos1

robjos1 Member

Flying about
    Balance:
    30Coins
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Great work there and pleased to hear how solid it has been. Out of curiosity more than anything as i'm not using odrives on this project (potentially on a future rig) but how does your rig calibrate without limit switches. I watched the odrive video you did and it appears that it is seeing the hard stop as the motor is blocked then heading up 10mm to see the index point on the encoder? The maximum travel is saved as a fixed value in the odrive settings so should never reach the upper hard stop? Also does the motor slow before reaching the 'software limits'?
  15. SilentChill

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Pretty much exactly how you have said yes. The firmware knows how far so as long as the encoder doesn't slip it knows exactly where it is
    • Like Like x 1
  16. BDZ

BDZ New Member

Balance:
    166Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    @SilentChill

dumb question here, I asked on your YouTube Video but thought i'd probably be more likely to get a reply on here. what's the name/size of the bearing used at 51:30?
    I've managed to go through your shopping list and change it for Australian use but this is the one item I cant seem to figure out. also I noticed you updated your UBolts, can I please grab the new sizes?

I'm working one day a week for the forseeable future so i finally have enough time on my hands to tackle a DIY Sim and think yours looks the best to follow cheers!
  17. SilentChill

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Its FK12 and it is in the parts list
    • Like Like x 1
  18. BDZ

BDZ New Member

Balance:
    166Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    once again sorry if this is a stupid question but I haven't quite got my head around the hardware side of things, but isn't the FK12 at 20:45 in that video? or is the flanged baring at 51:30 pulled out from the FK12 at 20:45. cheers
  19. SilentChill

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Do you mean the Igus bearing?
  20. BDZ

BDZ New Member

Balance:
    166Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

correct, at least that’s what it sounds like your saying. Followed by “I forget what it’s called ”