1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Position Feedback (2DOF) - Truck Wiper Motor

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Ammarr54, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Ammarr54

Ammarr54 New Member

Balance:
    - 43Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, Arduino, Joyrider, SimforceGT, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    Hi all. I have started to develop 2DOF motion simulator using Truck Wiper Motors. The electronic consist of ADUINO UNO R3 and VNH2SP30 Monster Moto Driver Shield for driving Truck Wiper Motors. Potentiometers are used for position feedback.

Electronic Components:

1) ADUINO UNO R3:
    [​IMG]

2) VNH2SP30 Monster Moto Driver Shield
    [​IMG]

3) Potentiometer:

4) Truck Wiper Motor:

[​IMG]

For position control of motor, following wiring diagram is used.
    [​IMG]

My problem is how to attach the potentiometer with wiper motor shaft as the motor shell has only one shaft at front and back side of shall is closed. Suggestions are required.
  2. mrbeginner

mrbeginner Active Member Gold Contributor

What ever come in my way
    Balance:
    20Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 2 / -0
    This is how i put potentiometers in place in first try. Because you have to take extra cables of the wiper motor you need to open that back plate. There you see that gear what is these pictures. I use hydraulic tube to make little clutch if something goes wrong. I drilled 5,5mm hole in plastic gear and glued 6mm shaft on a place. After that i put pot in angle and allign shafts. I use metal bracket to hold potentiometer, but it was too thick and potentiometer broke after few hours.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  3. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,875Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  4. Map63Vette

Map63Vette Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Balance:
    430Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    This was my plan, but I have access to a 3D printer. I was going to print a piece that looks like a socket that would press onto the potentiometer shaft and then slide over the nut on the end of the motor shaft.

Coupler 2.jpg
    Shaft Coupler.jpg
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,875Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    What's new? Did you print your piece?
  6. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    That's more or less is what i did for my wiper setup. Id advice to have a flexible joint in between as they do tend to flex (at least mine but they are quite small) a little. I also did my own 90 degree hall sensors. Another tip if you got flexible filament is to make the nut part from that. depending on infill that can absorb a of micro shocks and flex a little when needed. Mine isn't a direct connection but a nut with a 6mm shaft that connects to the flexible joint.
  7. Map63Vette

Map63Vette Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Balance:
    430Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I was actually planning on getting some flexible filament and the thought had crossed my mind to use it for just this purpose, but I haven't yet. I think I'd also have to really cut down my wall thicknesses for it to matter. "Flexbile" is a relative term in filament world from what I've seen. Get even a few layers thick on the shell and it gets pretty rigid pretty quick. I did print up a sample one to test and it works okay, though I haven't actually mounted it to the wiper yet. The plate that the pot is mounted to is also 3D printed and quite thin, so it has a fair amount of flex to it. My thought was that it would hopefully absorb some of the imperfections with any luck. Won't really know for sure until I bolt everything down solid, but I also haven't played with anything in a while. All I have right now is the motors, pots, and a few JRKs. I haven't built up my frame structure yet and really don't have a suitable power supply. I used an old ATX one out of a PC just for some testing with the JRKs when I got them, but it will auto shut down after just a few unloaded back and forths as I think the surge current is just too much for it. I have my eyes on some LED style ones for the real build, but everything has kinda been put on hold lately. Work is doing 20% pay cuts for the near future for coronavirus stuff, so haven't had as much spare income to play with.
  8. czgui

czgui Member

Balance:
    - 110Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    [​IMG]
    This method is relatively simple, the material is very common, and the processing is simple.

Attached Files:

9. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Looks good
  10. Trigen

Trigen Active Member

Balance:
    2,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +176 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Just another mention about flexible and attaching to the nut. Another advantage of the somewhat flexible is that you can undersize the nut cutout slightly and get a tight fit. The other benefit depending on your setup and bindpoint is that if your system goes haywire (there's a likelihood that it will crush your pot mount. It's happened to me a few so i decided to go flexible on the but part so it dont just get crushed.

And to mention it again, you can get the flexible very soft or quite hard
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020