1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SFX-100 Build with G-Force Simulation (Start Date: March 2020)

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Chipless, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Chipless

Chipless Member

Balance:
    132Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I've been on these forums for the past several months, and now that I have all the parts in-hand (finally) to begin my own SFX-100 build. I will start by posting my order list within the next couple of days (once I finish formatting it) in an effort to make it as easy as possible for others to source the parts. Note: I live in the USA, so the order list will reflect that. Thank you to all those who have helped thus far! More to come soon.

Master Parts List
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/11pOfVuq-I5zEJAw5yJPOEIUGykKvGbzb/view?usp=sharing
    • Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  2. Sebj

Sebj Active Member

Balance:
    492Coins
    Ratings:
    +165 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Awesome! Looking forward to it.
  3. Chipless

Chipless Member

Balance:
    132Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I've updated and uploaded the master parts list with URLs/sources for those residing in the USA (see Post #1). I've included the prices as well that I actually incurred. Needless to say, this hobby isn't cheap! It should be noted that the only "sim racing" component that I owned prior to starting this build is my PC, so I didn't include that on the price sheet. Also, I still need to order a VR HMD, so that is not on the parts list currently. I will update the list if/when I order more of anything. I plan to copy the base of @diablo2112 's build, so HUGE thank you to him for answering my constant stream of questions regarding the parts needed for the rig!

My goal with this thread is to pay forward the help I've received thus far by outlining the build as simply as possible. Hopefully, this will help other complete newbies like myself jump into sim racing headfirst with some confidence.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  4. diablo2112

diablo2112 Member

Balance:
    662Coins
    Ratings:
    +143 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Motion platform, 4DOF
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Chipless

Chipless Member

Balance:
    132Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I've uploaded a short video clip of the successful motor controller test. I will update parts list to reflect supplies needed to create a power switch and mounting board for the controllers.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  6. Chipless

Chipless Member

Balance:
    132Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Update: I've completed the actuators! I will update initial post with some lessons I learned as well as some additional parts that were needed. I still need to update for breadboard parts mentioned in the post above as well. In the meantime, here is a video of the successful test using the AMC-AASD15A servo controller.

• Like Like x 3
  7. diablo2112

diablo2112 Member

Balance:
    662Coins
    Ratings:
    +143 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Motion platform, 4DOF
    Those black extrusions look fantastic! Great job.

How did the parts fit?
  8. Chipless

Chipless Member

Balance:
    132Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I couldn't agree more! They will look even better after I clean them. They currently have a small amount of grease and oil from the build process, but look stellar nonetheless. I am beyond impressed with the finish. Thanks again!
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Chipless

Chipless Member

Balance:
    132Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Finally finished the cockpit. Special thanks to @diablo2112 for the wheel-deck bracing design. It's stout to say the least! I'm beyond excited to begin the testing phase with software. Given the current situation, holding off on spending more for the next week or two, but next steps are g-force and wind sim. Still need to update first post with additional items purchased (such as an M8 tap).

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Dominik Mičuta

Dominik Mičuta New Member

Balance:
    80Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Motion platform
    I started my final assembly of SFX100 as well. Its very cool project!
  11. slikk66

slikk66 New Member

Balance:
    798Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    hi! i'm printing and ordering parts right now, so I'm reading all the info I can find. You mentioned updating your list for the parts for the switch, I just compared my ordered parts against yours and seems I'm doing pretty well so far, but any info on switch parts would be great.

Stupid question time - if you're using the Thanos board, what is the purpose of the breadboards?
  12. Gary R Tree

Gary R Tree New Member

Construction Management
    Balance:
    138Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Motion platform
    Hi Chipless,

Nice looking rig!
    Any update on your parts list? I am planning a build and trying to sort out the overseas components.
    Thanks,
  13. Chipless

Chipless Member

Balance:
    132Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    So sorry for the delay! I will try to update the parts list for the switch components this week. It has been long overdue to say the least, so thank you for bearing with me. Also, I mistakenly used the term "breadboard". I should have said "mounting board" instead. Basically, it's just the piece of plywood that I mounted the motor controllers and switch to. My apologies for causing any confusion.

Sent you a PM, but let me know if you need further clarification.
    • Like Like x 1