1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Push and Pull Motors

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Geoff McIntyre, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Geoff McIntyre

Geoff McIntyre Member

Balance:
    236Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am looking to start building a 4dof sim with heave. I am a bit confused on what motor to get for the heave as it needs to be push and pull.. I was looking at 80mm MO2430 but i don't know if these are suitable for push and pull.
    Any help would be appreciated
  2. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip New Member

Balance:
    546Coins
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

Those servos are fine, they are anyway bidirectional. It is not the servo that determines if movement can be both push- and pull, it is the physical actuator construction. DIY actuators like the SFX100 units are generally cheap and easy in design and implementation and can only push.

Commercial units like the PT Actuator units, can do both push and pull...

‘Cheers,
    Beano
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Geoff McIntyre

Geoff McIntyre Member

Balance:
    236Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for that Beano.. I would rather build my own.(if possible).Especially after buying a 3D printer. I am still a bit unsure of what makes it bi-directional.
    This just seems a bit over my head at the moment until i get my head around this..

Thanks
  4. mrbean_phillip

Balance:
    546Coins
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Hi Geoff,
    Servo can turn both clockwise and counter-clockwise, which in turn drives a ball-screw, which drives a ball-nut up or down....similar to how the big table on a milling-machine, for example, is moved. So if the supporting mechanical bits supports both pushing and pulling, then it can be done.

The way the current sfx100 diy actuators are designed, they can comfortably push the motion-rig up all day, where down-movement is concerned, the weight keeps the bits together, in this case, the grounded rod that fits in the other side of the slider where the ball-nut is connected to.

but if you use this arrangement in a traction-loss implementation, for example, it can push the back one way, but as soon as it has to pull the other way, it will pull the ground rod from the slider, as it is not a mechanically strong joint...

‘Hopefully that clarifies it a bit.

Cheers,
    Beano
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  5. Geoff McIntyre

Geoff McIntyre Member

Balance:
    236Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for that mate.. I'll try and get my head around it.. I think i will start with the normal actuators, and then do the heave actuator last. It all sounds a bit out my depth but we will all be house bound soon so i'll need something to do..lol
  6. mrbean_phillip

Balance:
    546Coins
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    All good, no dramas.

Good luck that side with your endeavours.

Cheers,
    Beano
  7. Geoff McIntyre

Geoff McIntyre Member

Balance:
    236Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am getting my head around why the actuators in the standard layout, won't work. But how do you fix the rod on both ends so it can push and pull.
  8. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    You need to mount the rods on the leadscrew nut, probably via a locking nut or some shallow screws. Get rid of the anti-rotation guide between the rod and the leadscrew nut. Its only useful on actuators where the rod is used as foot...
  9. Geoff McIntyre

Geoff McIntyre Member

Balance:
    236Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for that.. I think my best option is to wait till my parts arrive and then i can see better what you mean.. It's difficult to understand when you have never seen the parts before.. While your here thanos.. I watched your vid on making a shield.. I was about to order a board from JLCPCB but realised i need 5 and not 4 ports.. Does the gerber file you have do that or is there a way to change it to 5 or 6?
  10. Thanos

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Maybe use two of these open-hardware 4DOF controllers? But remember these are preset for use with SFX100 actuators meaning upside down actuator(rod as foot), 100mm stroke only and support for 1605 leadscrew only....

If you are making custom stroke actuators with other leadscrew, you will need the AMC-AASD15A that is able to be fully customized for any actuator combination possible.

http://motionsim.blogspot.com/2019/12/open-hardware-4dof-servo-controller.html
  11. Geoff McIntyre

Geoff McIntyre Member

Balance:
    236Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok.. what i ordered for 1 that only needs to be the same as sfx-100 but with 80mm motors and 80mm profile and i added 50mm to the length to get 150mm travel. How long is your lead out time for getting one of these??
  12. Thanos

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Its depends where you are located. USA gets next business day shipping, worldwide might delay shipping to the end of the each week as visit to post office is necessary...
  13. Geoff McIntyre

Geoff McIntyre Member

Balance:
    236Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok Thanos.. Thats good news.. I'll get it ordered in the next couple of days.. The only part that i am struggling to get for my actuators is the hollow shaft.. Is there any alternatives to h7 C60.(or any known UK suppliers) I can only source it in Germany and the postage, doubles the price of the rod..
  14. Geoff McIntyre

Geoff McIntyre Member

Balance:
    236Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thats me ordered the controller. Once i get 1 actuator working then i'll look and try and get my head around it.. Is it ok to send you a PM if i have any problems??
  15. Thanos

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Sure, but you may find that unnecessary. Everything is plug and play, and there is detailed manual and even great 24 hour community support for the AMC-AASD15A controller on my Discord.

Manual:
    https://github.com/tronicgr/AMC-AAS.../AMC-AASD15A_4DOF+TL-Simtools_manual_v2_3.pdf

Invitation to join my Discord here:
    https://discord.gg/bx4PxYR

Thanks
    Thanos
  16. Geoff McIntyre

Geoff McIntyre Member

Balance:
    236Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Brilliant.. I'll let you know when it arrives, but with the state of the world at the moment. I would'nt expect it too soon.. Is there any reasoning to the hollow rod required for the sfx style? Does it need to be 30h7 c60 or can i get 1 made from a local machine shop?? I understand the 30 and assume the h7 is the thickness but what is the c60??

Thanks
  17. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,540Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    C60 means its hardend ,you need it because the balls from the bearing could give galling when its not hardend.
  18. Geoff McIntyre

Geoff McIntyre Member

Balance:
    236Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are there any alternatives?? The only place i can find this is in Germany and they want 25 for the part and 40 for postage to the uk..
  19. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,540Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    There is a company in the usa ,there site name is spi or sdi further i dont know it any more.
    And they are sold on ebay in the past, you need to look
    regards AD
  20. Geoff McIntyre

Geoff McIntyre Member

Balance:
    236Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks AD. I have checked all the usual places and they all lead back to Germany. I will have a look for the American company.. Thanks