1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

24v power supply ? What do you use

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Gadget999, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    My sim is running 6x 24v dc brushed motors

Inhave 2x 12v car batteries

I have 2x 12v power power supplies that are approx 72 amps each

However they can not be powered up together so they run one 12v battery each

What options do i have for a 24v power supply ?
  2. Robdog

Robdog Member

Balance:
    104Coins
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, JRK
    I also have 6 24v motors which I run from 2 car batteries. I just use a battery charger that is capable of charging at 24v, it doesn't quite keep up with the power consumption of the motors but I have never yet flattened the batteries. I leave the charger on permanently so the batteries are always charged the next day.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip New Member

Balance:
    546Coins
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Look into the MeanWell SDR series power supplies, they have options for serial/parallel linking.

I always use these SDR supplies for high-end DD wheels.

Cheers,
    Beano
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Typhoon56

Typhoon56 Member

Engineering
    Balance:
    400Coins
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, AC motor, Arduino
    Hi @Gadget999 what 12v power supply are they ? I use two 12v server power supply, had to isolate the DC ground on them both to get them to work correctly.
  5. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    i was hoping there was a solution like this - the power supplies i use are Dell PowerEdge A870P-00 870W

what did you do to isolate the grounds ? is the ground connected to the case of the psu ?
  6. Typhoon56

Typhoon56 Member

Engineering
    Balance:
    400Coins
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:

Yes the ground is attached to the case, I had to remove two screws that held the main board down, I then slipped some non conductive material (cardboard)between and not replace the screws.

Found a very helpful series of videos on YouTube, was a guy building a mini lath he used the server power supply.
  7. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    did you use 2x 12v servers psu to get 24v ?
  8. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
  9. Typhoon56

Typhoon56 Member

Engineering
    Balance:
    400Coins
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yes I'm using two 12V to achieve 24V, removing one ground did work , but I had trouble with my motor driver and Arduino but after removing the other ground on the other power supply this fixed that problem, so I would advise to remove all DC grounds .

IMG_20200314_064444715.jpg
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks for the suggestion, i removed ground on one motor only and still had one psu throw a fault.

I will try them both wired together for 24v
  11. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    ok so I removed the ground on the power supplies and it was possible to get them to work together either as 12v or together at 24v

however it seems that they were not very good at dealing with shock loads and one of them would often shut down

the power supplies were 870 w Dell A870P

i had a Dell A930 P lying around from a steering wheel project and tried that - it seemed quite good so i bought another

I can confirm the Dell A930P is an excellent power supply and is resistant to shock loads

it is much bigger than the 870 and appears to have much larger components like caps inside it

the only down side is the noise from the fans - but i am sure i can box them up to keep noise to a minimum