1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SCN6 extension cable

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Bacon2002, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Bacon2002

Bacon2002 Member

Underwriter
    Balance:
    29Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, Motion platform
    Hi,
    Does anyone know where and if I can get SCN6 extension cables, either premade or just the connector blocks.
    I have seen extensions for sale by online suppliers but they are $90 excluding shipping which seems pretty expensive for what seem to be copper cables. I was hoping there might be an alternative that didn't involve cutting the existing standard cables.
    Many thanks,
    David
  2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Active Member

director
    Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, 4DOF
    just do yourself , neat with a solder iron and heat wrap

those plastic blocks on existing official leads are not that good for this application imo

when I get time I'm going to make custom ones for all mine ( have x4 SCN6's )
  3. Bacon2002

Bacon2002 Member

Underwriter
    Balance:
    29Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, Motion platform
    Hi,
    If anyone could help with this (old) threat, I didn't get round to fixing the cable lengths at the time,
    I have 5 x SCN6 actuators, I would like to extend the cable by about 3 metres each, but what would be the correct wire gauge (and supplier) be for extending the extension cable.
    The soldering part is not a problem but I can't work out the correct 9 core cable (looks like maybe 20 AWG?) and the 4 core (perhaps 18 AWG?) but I am guessing so any idea what cables I should order and from where.
    Thanks,
    David
  4. Bacon2002

Bacon2002 Member

Underwriter
    Balance:
    29Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    SCN6, Motion platform
    Hi,

In the end no one was able to help with any suggestions regarding suitable cables to extend the original SCN6 actuator cables.

If anyone is keen to extend their own SCN6 cables then I can confirm that I have successfully lengthened my SCN6 cables by an additional 4 metres to each actuator.

I used 22 AWG cables (one 9 core cable and one 4 core cable which I cut into 4 metre lengths). I couldn't find the same 9 pin or 4 pin connectors used on the original actuator cables so in the end I cut the existing connector off leaving about 10cm of wire remaining. Then I soldered one end of the 4 metre extension cable (shown below) to the wires from the actuator, then I soldered the other end to original connector, essentially just extending the existing cables but making use of the original connectors.

For information I bought the cables from e-bay 1 x 9 core 22 AWG and 1 x 4 core 22 AWG as follows:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-to-10-...var=574020931598&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I was initially worried about the cable length being too long or the amp rating of the cables not bring high enough but it all works perfectly well.

I hope this helps someone in the same situation.

David
    • Informative Informative x 2