1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tutorial Modification of a Smart (450) SE-Drive Unit / Sequential Shifter

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Markku Lorenz, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Markku Lorenz

Markku Lorenz Member

Technician for leak location/Managing Director
    Balance:
    561Coins
    Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

besides my 2DOF Project https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/diy-2-dof-racing-seat.12774/
    i want to show you how to modify the above named "SE-Drive".
    Well, it was not my idea but i think that there are not soooo many building threats, so one more or less...

First things first:
    The Shifter came from a german dealer for used Smart spare parts https://shop.smartparts24.de/

After a short inspection of the Shifter there was a horrible smell. It was the Knob itself. I think the former owner of that car must have been a kind of Perfume loving beeing. I tried so many things to get that smell off, but at least i think this part will have to be burnt in my blacksmithing Forge at nearly 1300 Degrees (Celsius).

Really, you cannot image...

The other issue is, that the housing is really messed up. Means, it is filled with grease and oil. Even the PCB is completely covered with grease. So theres a littele bit of cleaning to do, before i can really start with that project:

The SE-Drive is "dirty" anyway, so i took an old bucket and filled it with water...
    1.2.JPG

And a bit (enough) dish soap... .13.JPG

From the bottom it looks quite good... 1.1.JPG

Just to remove the first layer of grease and oil... 1.4.JPG

The SE-Drive will be completely disassembled and every single part will be cleaned properly.
    Actually there are two options for later usage. Of course it will always be a sequential shifter...
    I mean, the SE-Drive works normally with Hall Sensors. So i could use the original PCB or i will remove it and put in an own PCB with (e.g.) reed switches in. I think that a new PCB including the wiring (i will use a breadboard) will be much faster to build, than measuring out the old PCB.
    Last, but not least: At the bottom of the SE-Drives stick theres an Magnet mounted...
    Bye

ML
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  2. Markku Lorenz

Markku Lorenz Member

Balance:
    561Coins
    Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0
    Looks better already...
    1.5.JPG

The whole PCB was covered with this grease. As long i am working with these parts i want it clean. Later the mechanical parts will be greased again.
    You can already see the Hall Sensors on/in the PCB.
    1.6.JPG

The disassebled SE-Drive looks "new". Theres also the original Ignition switch mounted. I could use it to start the Engine (ingame) but i want to do that with a separate knob. Something fancy, red... Maybe
    1.7.JPG

Exepting the PCB all parts will be used again.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Markku Lorenz

Markku Lorenz Member

Balance:
    561Coins
    Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0
    If there´s anyone who wants to have this PCB, please send me a message. I dont use it. I think it is really easy to measure out the wiring. It´s a dual layer...
    1.8.JPG

As written above, i will use a breadboard. I´m not sure if i will use the black terminals. If there will be an issue, it will be easier to remove...
    I will have to figure that out.
    1.10.JPG

The breadboard will be cut and drilled, so it will fit onto the original mounting place. I will do that next week, as soon as i get the reed switches,
    cables etc. i want to use.
    The new switches are bigger than the Hall Sensors, so i am not sure if there will be bigger modifications to make...
    1.11.JPG

So that shall fit...
    1.12.JPG

ML
  4. Markku Lorenz

Markku Lorenz Member

Balance:
    561Coins
    Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0
    Before getting into detail, i drilled a 10mm hole for the cable glant.
    Maybe there are better places fo this glant, but i think it shall be away from moving parts. So the space for mounting this part is very limited
    2 (28).JPG

10mm hole
    2 (32).JPG

And the installed cable glant
    2 (33).JPG
  5. Markku Lorenz

Markku Lorenz Member

Balance:
    561Coins
    Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0
    Here we see the SE-Drive from underneath without the most parts. The Case was on a diet (its nearly grease free).
    The loose Parts were cleaned, too, and will be reassebled.
    Of course you can work with hands full of grease ond oil, but i don´t like that. So every "touched" part is clean.
    At the bottom of the Shift Stick you can see the magnet. With this magnet the Reed Switches will be switched (later).
    2 (39).JPG

Let´s start to install the parts. Theres is a square hole...
    2 (5).JPG

...which will fit with the shown part below.
    2 (4).JPG

It shall look like this. Feel free to turn the spring
    2 (13).JPG

The small bearing will have to slide on a guided track as shown below.
    2 (15).JPG

The bearing will slide over this part, so it is important to install the bearing in the right way.
    2 (6).JPG
  6. Markku Lorenz

Markku Lorenz Member

Balance:
    561Coins
    Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0
    Here we have a Sliding "thing". The SE-Drive will work without it.
    If you want to use the original ignition switch, theres a mechanism which will lock up a bolt. The locked bolt itself will sit in that "semi-round" gap.
    2 (7).JPG

The sliding part will be installed like this.
    2 (8).JPG

And the rubber ring...
    2 (9).JPG

...will fit there. The rubber ring is (in my opinion) to soften the shifting procedure. The ring will touch the sides of the guided track.
    2 (12).JPG

If everything sits in is right place, it shall look like this.
    2 (16).JPG

And the lower bracket (with the guided track) will be reinstalled.
    There are braces on the Case, which will have to fit. You can/will hear it...
    2 (17).JPG

If everything went right, it shall be possible switching the lever. 2 (24).JPG
  7. Markku Lorenz

Markku Lorenz Member

Balance:
    561Coins
    Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0
    In order to show you how the SE-Drive works (audible) here are two short clips...
    Within the "SE-Drive Bottom" Video you can see the moving shift stick. The Magnet at its´end will move over the Reed Switches. I think those switches will be soldered at the right position (onto the breadboard) and finally the PCB will be fixed instead of the old/original PCB.

See you

• Like Like x 2
  8. Markku Lorenz

Markku Lorenz Member

Balance:
    561Coins
    Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0
    Hi,

i´m still waiting for some parts.
    But here a few pictures...

The reed switches were soldered at the right position.
    I used MK06-5-C switches.
    3.6.JPG

They is no gap left between switches and cradle.
    3.4.JPG

And everything was fixed with hot glue. I´m not sure if that´s the best way but we will see. If not, i will fix the PCB mechanically. DSC00040.JPG

The cables (Ölflex) just arrived.
    But before i can work with these, i will have to clean the chicken coop.
  9. Markku Lorenz

Markku Lorenz Member

Balance:
    561Coins
    Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0
    Hi,

here we have the cable used for the SE-Drive.
    It´s an Ölflex Classic 110. With 7x0,5 mm² (i think it would be an AWG20 with 7 wires)
    The 3 G 0,5 (shown below)is the one for the Pots.
    4.2 (1).JPG

The Cable has 7 wires which are all numbered from 1 to 7. 6 and 7 were cut, due to theres´no need to use them 4.2 (3).JPG

Cut to length 4.2 (5).JPG

It this way i fixed the cable inside the Shifters´cradle 4.2 (8).JPG

And thats the way i soldered cables to the PCB 4.2 (9).JPG
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Markku Lorenz

Markku Lorenz Member

Balance:
    561Coins
    Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0
    The cable glant i wanted to use first had to be replaced. There was no way to get the cable through.
    So the hole was enlarged to get the new cblae glant fitted.
    4.2 (7).JPG

At least i had to change the layout of the reed switches. ATTENTION: The markings onto the PCB are not right !
    There were issues during testing the SE-Drive with OSHStudio https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/diy-pedals-buttons-controller.8867/
    OSHStudio works fine but due to different distances from the Magnet of the SE-Drives stick to the reed swithes, the switches itself had to be turned. The effect in OSHStudio was a kind of a bouncing switch. In my opinion it could be really annoying during gameplay...
    Actually i want to use the SE-Drive with Assetto Corsa (hopefully soon). I don´t know if i will need the extra N (Neutral) and/or R (Reverse).
    So for now "N" and "R" are switches to off (not used in OSH)
    4.2 (12).JPG

An here is the STM32F PCB i will use later. It will be mounted into a separate housing from Hammond. The Mini DIN Connector (PS/2) will be mounted there, too.
    Due to i am an (so far) Arcade gamer i will have to figure out if thers´a use for more buttons.
    There are a lot of different switches i can use. But, as you know, first things first...
    4.2 (10).JPG

This pictures was already shown in an earlier post. This part of the SE-Drive made a big noise when shifting.
    As i wrote above, theres no need to use it. It´s just there if the original key lock will be used.
    And yes, you are right... i will not use it...
    And now the shifting feels a little softer. Well, i think that feeling is made by my ears...;)
    2 (7).JPG

Bye

ML
  11. Markku Lorenz

Markku Lorenz Member

Balance:
    561Coins
    Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0
    And here is my memory aid...
    Don´t forget: The layout is not following any rules. Feel free to intechange. It was just for me...

Attached Files:

12. dedraro

dedraro Active Member

Balance:
    81Coins
    Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    Nice project! it reminded me of one of my first DIY projects, in 2013/14, of a BMW Steptronic shifter.
  13. Markku Lorenz

Markku Lorenz Member

Balance:
    561Coins
    Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0
    Thanks !
    Yes, i have also seen some of these BMW Shifers. AND, the BMW ones look far nicer than a Smart Shifter...

ML
    • Like Like x 1