1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Sliding surge sled any ideas

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by ghetto, Feb 11, 2020.

1. ghetto

ghetto New Member

Balance:
    - 11Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi just completing the build of my sfx 100 motion rig, and came across a video from Sim and Driver, showing sliding sled and traction loss add on.
    or search
    6 DOF Racing Simulator reference setup video 1
    Very cool setup and would love to do something similar. I can see that the traction loss is from pt actuators but cant make out how the sliding sled is put together. Does any one know of any links to parts used ect.
    Sim Racing garage did a review on JCL V4 but that route is too pricey for me, so will have to be DIY.
  2. PMK

PMK Member

Balance:
    125Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    It looks like there's an arm under the sled pushing it forwards/backwards.
    https://i.imgur.com/jofNUa1.png
    [​IMG]

Could you build the sled using sliding door frames/guides with rubber wheels to keep everything aligned like a 3D printer bed?
    You could then use a worm gear motor with an arm to push/pull the sled back and fourth?
  3. Extremier

Extremier New Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform
    Hello, a very clever guy ( Bajer) made a 4DOF + Surge using: Hiwin linear Rail Guide HGW15CC HGH15CA Rail Block Slider ....seems a very nice buid!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ghetto

ghetto New Member

Balance:
    - 11Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, just found these online seems like a very similar product but not being an engineer its hard to work out what size would do the job without going over kill. 25mm rails look like they may do it.
  5. dododge

dododge Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    854Coins
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    FWIW, McMaster-Carr has a large variety of rails and carriages where you can narrow the selection by how much load you expect in various directions, the shape of the carriage, the type of bearings, and so on. Even if you don't buy from them it might be useful to browse their site to get a feel for how big the rails typically need to be for a given load and what sort of options are out there with regard to mounting, lubrication requirements, etc.
  6. Extremier

Extremier New Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform
    As add a surge to a 4DOF Rig is also my wish.. I´m searching for this....
    Most builders I´m following are using 300mm actuator for surge ( & 100-150mm x4 actuators)
    I believe: 4 X 15mm x 500mm rails, one slider each will do the job.