1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question G-seat concept for sim racing - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by buckysim, Jan 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. buckysim

buckysim New Member

Balance:
    155Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi, I just watched Rowan Hick's awesome g-seat project on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/user/RowanHick2) and felt inspired to draw up a concept I've been thinking about for a g-seat solution for sim racing. My vision resolves some issues I have with the all the solutions I've seen so far.

To be precise I don't like the fundamental idea of "moving paddles" inside of a custom frame chair - I want a factory racing seat and I want the sides of the seat themselves to move independently. I also feel that having paddles underneath your thighs isn't optimal - a: they moves your legs which you need precise control over for throttle/brake input, and b: negative g-forces under braking is better translated through seat belt tension than the bottom part of the seat pressing against your legs.

I'm attaching a sketch based on the Sparco Grid-Q racing seat. The basic idea is to cut the seat into four parts. Bottom, Backrest, and Sides. One servo controlling the left/right sides, and another servo controlling the backrest/seat belt. The bottom part stays fixed/unaffected - I don't consider vertical g-forces to be necessary in sim racing and effects like road texture is sufficiently solved through tactile transducers for me.

I haven't gone into any specifics about how to solve the mounting etc, but I'm imagining a 'resting position' cradle for the chair-parts, built out of plywood or the similar. And then have the servos connect to their respective part of the seat - likely to several 'attachment points' to distribute the forces properly and evenly to the large surfaces. The side-to-side servo would likely be placed underneath the seat, while the backrest/seat belt servo could be positioned behind the seat.

I'd like to know what you think about this concept - what issues do you foresee and what could be improved upon?

If anyone would be interested in exploring this concept practically I'd be open to a collaboration, as my strength lies more in concept design and less in practical execution, electronics, arduino etc.

Many thanks for reading!
    /Kris

Attached Files:

2. buckysim

buckysim New Member

Balance:
    155Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    To mod: I'm sorry, I realise I posted this in the wrong sub-forum :thinkPlease feel free to move the post :thumbs