1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Simulated Wind using MonsterMoto and ArduinoUno

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by SilentChill, May 15, 2015.

1. MrJack

MrJack New Member

Balance:
    184Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    MATH is too hight no ?
  2. Seregon

Seregon New Member

Balance:
    54Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hi everybody, i build a wind simulator with blower as yours and I would like to know if it's normal that one of my blower make a high-pitched noise at slow speed. The second one seems to be normal, that's why I would like to know.
    I don't put inductor for each blower, is it a problem ?
  3. hannibal

hannibal Active Member

Balance:
    4,489Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    hey @imagebuff .. where did you get your swivel mounts for your seaflow fans?
    appreciate any info!
  4. hannibal

hannibal Active Member

Balance:
    4,489Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Yes
    you need to buy a simtools license in order to get telemetry for game dash, even for LFS.
    Game dash will not get data / telemetry from LFS on demo version of Simtools.

Just get the license! support the community!
    :)

good luck
  5. dutiti

dutiti New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    - 210Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Bonjour, j'ai un problème avec le système de ventilation, j'utilise la même carte monstermoto avec les ventilateurs seaflo et une arduino uno r3.
    J'ai tous configuré comme dans le premier post mais la ventilation ne fonctionne que quelque seconde quand je met 50ms dans interface output si je met 20ms rien ne se passe.
    si je débranche usb et que je rebranche ça remarche mais pas longtemps (environ 5 secondes)
    j'ai changé de cable usb, de carte uno et le variateur avec le même résultat.
    j'ai regardé les pilotes de la carte arduino, du gamedash et simtools j'ai bien les dernières version.
    j'utilise aussi gamedash avec un tm1638 et il fonctionne parfaitement sur dirt rally ou rollercoaster
    si vous avez une idée je suis preneur

Hello, I have a problem with the ventilation system, I use the same monstermoto card with seaflo fans and an arduino uno r3.
    I have all configured as in the first post but the ventilation only works for a few seconds when I put 50ms in the output interface if I put 20ms nothing happens.
    if I unplug usb and I plug it back in, but not long (about 5 seconds)
    I changed the usb cable, uno card and the drive with the same result.
    I looked at the arduino, gamedash and simtools drivers, I have the latest version.
    I also use gamedash with a tm1638 and it works perfectly on dirt rally or rollercoaster
    If you have an idea, I'm interested
  6. dutiti

Balance:
    - 210Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
  7. dutiti

Balance:
    - 210Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    j'ai changé de carte monster pour une original (60$) toujours pareil :
    quand je met 50ms dans interface output rate sa marche environ 5 secondes si je met 20ms sa marche environ 1 secondes et ça s’arrête puis je rebranche l'USB c'est repartie pour 5 secondes ou 1 seconde.

je viens de réinstaller l'ensemble des logiciel simtools
    J'ai installé Game engine et gamedash sur un autre pc, avec un adressage d'ip, et j'ai le même résultat

I changed my monster card for an original ($ 60) still the same:
    when I put 50ms in interface output rate it works about 5 seconds if I put 20ms its work about 1 seconds and it stops then I reconnect the USB it is left for 5 seconds or 1 second.

I just reinstalled all the simtools software
    I installed Game engine and gamedash on another pc, with ip addressing, and I have the same result
  8. MrJack

MrJack New Member

Balance:
    184Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Hi,
    I've been using this system for a long time, with 2 Seaflo 12V, 6A, 270rpm and it's very cool :)
    I would like to know if it's possible to connect the 2 fans on a single output pin (A1 B1 or A2 B2) , Is it dangerous ?
    I would like to use one of the two outputs to connect a 12v vibration motor, so as not to be forced to use a second arduino .
    Thank you .
  9. Zed

Zed VR Simming w/Reverb Gold Contributor

Balance:
    5,828Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,042 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    @MrJack - that’s probably too much current for one half of a Monster Moto.
  10. Zed

Balance:
    5,828Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,042 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    @dutiti - could the Monster Moto be thermal protecting out? The H bridge chips have built in protection from overheating and many people put heat sinks on them and use fans to help keep them cool.

If it works for a bit and then stops your software is probably ok. At least seems to me.
  11. MrJack

MrJack New Member

Balance:
    184Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Yes , I use heat sinks and fan to help keep them cool .
    Thank youfor your answer , probably a bad idea .
  12. dutiti

Balance:
    - 210Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    merci pour votre aide, les puces de la carte sont froides, je pencherai plus pour un problème de rafraichissement du port usb mais comment le résoudre ... je viens de formater le pc et c'est toujours pareil :(

thanks for your help, the chips on the card are cold, i will look more for a problem of refreshing the usb port but how to solve it ... i just format the pc and it's always the same :(
  13. MrJack

MrJack New Member

Balance:
    184Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    Salut,
    As tu essayé de réinjecter le code dans l'arduino ou est ce le bon ?
    As tu vérifier ton alimentation ?

Have you tried to reset the Arduino code or are you sure it is the right one?
    Did you check the power supply ?
  14. Zed

Balance:
    5,828Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,042 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    @dutiti - Are you running the Arduino software to program the Arduino? That should connect to the Arduino for programming it and stay connected once you pick the port the Arduino is on. Using the Arduino monitor/terminal program you can issue commands directly to the Arduino to control the fans once you have the proper communications parameters - 9600 N 8 1 should connect if the settings are still the same as the firmware I used.

Did you load the firmware on the Arduino? Even if you didn’t, the Arduino monitor should still connect and communicate. You can then send it commands like S100 or S000 to set different speeds. Not sure why but I sometimes have to send a command a few times before it “takes”.

Are you able to connect and control the fans manually? That’s much simpler and will make sure your USB port is ok without software reinstalls and such. The Arduino website has the software and explains how to talk to the Arduino. Much easier to troubleshoot that at first.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. dutiti

Balance:
    - 210Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    cela fonctionne avec s100 mais ensuite quand je veux envoyer une autre commande comme S020 OU S000 il me faut débrancher l usb.
    attendre pour renvoyer le code sinon j 'ai cette erreur dans le logiciel arduino:

it works with s100 but then when i want to send another command like S020 OR S000 I have to disconnect the usb.
    wait to return the code otherwise i have this error in the arduino software:

java.io.IOException: jssc.SerialPortException: Port name - COM6; Method name - setEventsMask(); Exception type - Can't set mask.
    at processing.app.Serial.dispose(Serial.java:166)
    at processing.app.SerialMonitor.close(SerialMonitor.java:147)
    at processing.app.AbstractMonitor.suspend(AbstractMonitor.java:115)
    at processing.app.Editor$UploadHandler.run(Editor.java:2069)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
    Caused by: jssc.SerialPortException: Port name - COM6; Method name - setEventsMask(); Exception type - Can't set mask.
    at jssc.SerialPort.setEventsMask(SerialPort.java:279)
    at jssc.SerialPort.removeEventListener(SerialPort.java:1064)
    at jssc.SerialPort.closePort(SerialPort.java:1090)
    at processing.app.Serial.dispose(Serial.java:163)
    ... 4 more
    Capture.PNG Capture.PNG
  16. Zed

Balance:
    5,828Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,042 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I think those java messages are about the monitor application and it seems to be having some issue but I don’t know what.

It's odd that S100 works but not the others. The Arduino code I have looks for a cap S then grabs 3 chars, removes the offset from char to numbers, then converts each number into a value * weight, and adds them together. It shouldn’t matter what values are being received except for what value is used to set the PWM value.

One exception, though. There is a language/location value in Windows that seems to mess everyone up. People mention it here quite a bit. I wonder if that’s your issue. The Arduino wind program is not tolerant of anything other than straight ASCII numbers the way it gets the S codes over serial. Check for the location bug and see if setting that might fix things.

Have you changed the Arduino code any? It looks like you at least enabled the replies back used for testing. Did it ever work? Those testing replies shouldn’t confuse the monitor, though.

Can you post the Arduino program you are using exactly as you are using it?

Have you tried downloading and programming with a fresh, unmodified version of the code?

Do you have much Arduino experience?

At least we have it acting up in the Arduino monitor now instead of having to sort the additional layer of Sim Tools.
  17. dutiti

Balance:
    - 210Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    yes the other command works but I have to disconnect USB before each new command.

No I use the original program with monstermoto

no but i have a tm1638 display which works perfectly with gamedash

there is still something weird: the more I increase the value of the packet rate to 50 ms, it works but for 5 seconds then it does not change until I reconnect the usb
    if I put the value of the packet rate at 20ms it works but for 1 seconds then it does not vary until I reconnect the usb
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  18. Zed

Balance:
    5,828Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,042 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I'm guessing the tm1638 has its own Arduino and you programmed it too? Any chance you have a spare? Have you taken the wind Arduino out of circuit and checked communications that way? That Game Dash works fine with another Arduino (I’m assuming that’s how you are talking to it), and the Arduino monitor also has issues with the wind Arduino probably means the OS and Sim Tools is all fine.

Kind of at a loss. Those error messages don’t tell me much but you'd think a monitor program shouldn’t have any issues with serial communications with an Arduino. Hardware can die and be damaged, too, and you can have those things show up all sorts of ways. The other circuitry your Arduino/MM is connected to - if you are testing in circuit - could also be a reason if there are odd grounds, etc. Testing out of circuit may get different results? If you can’t get the simple Arduino USB example programs to load and run on the Arduino out of circuit, maybe it’s the Arduino hardware itself?

Sorry. Hopefully there’s something useful in there or someone else has better insight. Good luck!
    • Like Like x 1
  19. dutiti

Balance:
    - 210Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Merci pour vos réponse, j'ai commandé une arduino officielle (j'avais testé avec celle du TM1638 mais on c'est jamais) ensuite j'ai commandé une carte pci express 4xUSB.
    mon pc est trés recent avec une carte mere z390 aorus, j'ai lu qu'il pouvait y avoir des soucis de compatibilité avec l'usb sur windows 7 mais j'ai windows 10.(c'est pour essayé de resserer le probleme)
    je vais essayé aussi de faire des tests hors circuit.

j'ai fait des tests avec les exemples de la librairie monstermoto, ça fonctionne parfaitement, mais ce sont des exemples qui n'utilise pas le moniteur serie

Thank you for your answers, I ordered an official arduino (I tested with that of the TM1638 but it never is) then I ordered a pci express 4xUSB card.
    my pc is very recent with a motherboard z390 aorus, I read that there could be problems of compatibility with the usb on windows 7 but I have windows 10. (it is to try to tighten the problem )
    I will also try to make tests off circuit.

I did tests with the examples from the monstermoto library, it works perfectly, but these are examples that do not use the serial monitor
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Zed

Balance:
    5,828Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,042 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I don’t know why those diagnostic serial writes would cause problems in the Arduino serial monitor utility but they should probably be commented out for code you are going to run with Game Dash. It probably ignores data being sent back from the Arduino but not sure.

I think with the display Arduino talking properly with Game Dash probably clears the computer, OS, Sim Tools, plugin, and Game Dash. That is all probably ok. To me it sounds like something from the wind Arduino and wind circuit but no idea which.

Since you are getting the java errors in the Arduino serial monitor, you would want to try examples that use the serial monitor to try to understand why you are getting the errors. The reason I asked about that is I’m wondering if there is something flakey with the USB on the wind Arduino but it’s hard to understand what exactly you are doing because the language barrier and new information each iteration.

I’m not understanding - you have two separate Arduinos, right? One that is used with the display and one for wind?

Also, it’s normal on my rig to have to send S codes to my wind Arduino multiple times sometimes before the Arduino catches the command properly. I don’t get java error messages though and my wind works properly. Have you tried just sending a command a few times instead of resetting the wind Arduino?
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020