1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DIY FFB Steering wheel (MMosFFB ) (In Progress)

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Alexey, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Chris_Beeves

Chris_Beeves Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF
    What are you running on the Arduino? Do you have more info about your rig? Wiring? Do you have an encoder connected?
    What power supply is that?
  2. nopilpl

nopilpl New Member

Balance:
    213Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Im using emc software and wiring is the same that ebolzmagy showed in his emc video. Yes i have connected encoder. I use 24v 10 amp power supply
  3. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Can you see the wheel turning in the EMC software when you manually turn the motor?
    If you center the wheel before you activate “simple spring”, does it do the same?

If you set “max force” to 20%, does it stop?
    Looks like you have the 350-500W motor? 350/24=15A. Maybe 100% force is too much for your psu?
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  4. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  5. nopilpl

nopilpl New Member

Balance:
    213Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    I have 250 power supply and 250w motor. How many capacitors should I use?
  6. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I would suggest that you try to find what is causing this behavior before you try to fix it with capacitors.
    Have you tried setting the max force lower?
  7. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    If the PSU shuts down, it's due to ripple currents, with heavy inductance motors. Someone just puts a subwoofer caps on 1-4farads and all goes well. I prefere to put ordinary caps, even though have also that subcap on 4farads connected. And to be sure, the extra freewheeling diodes too. All info in the linked thread.
    Very important the markings of the bts chips. Not all of'em are good really. Even though all can be connected in a right way in your build. Don't be in a rush and check everything properly. And read attentively the info over this matter already given.

You may also have a look.
    https://zeva.com.au/Projects/Speedy/

https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/diy-mosfet-h-bridge-driver.13286/page-2#post-181516

https://www.drivingitalia.net/index...o-stm32/page/144/&tab=comments#comment-884319
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  8. nopilpl

nopilpl New Member

Balance:
    213Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Wheel doesnt turn when i turn motor.
    Yes it does the same
    No matter what i set, it still do this 'jump'

My bts7960 chip is GAC633
  9. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Must be allright.
  10. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Have you had any progress?
    Do you have some pictures of the setup? How did you attach the encoder?

Could you write a small test sketch for the arduino and test the motor and driver that way first?
  11. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    It is useless and so on, to make that. )
  12. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Why would it be useless to find out if the motor or BTS is the problem?
  13. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Chris, that's not the way.
  14. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Can you be a bit more specific perhaps?
  15. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Why be specific with obvious.

He've got everything what is needed to build and check and determine. I don't get why he had'n linked the encoder and the motor though, but if even so, the motor should only rotate with no problem for the system, with normal psu. Without going to protection or short circuit. It's all the same if try to connect an ordinary PS PSU to this wheels builds. It shuts down until restarted. (as was mentioned before without subcaps, from Italian site, added to power supply in parallel). I connected the PS PSU in the very first tests there too, and guess what, all the same as that behavior. The PSU shuts down going to protection. Why, and due to what already was mentioned.

Looks like you have the 350-500W motor? 350/24=15A. Maybe 100% force is too much for your psu?

If simply put again, tested build with MY1025 250W motor, two power supplies. 150W (12v/12.5A) & 400W (12v/33.3A). The later (400W) got the protection no matter what, until, added the caps and diodes. And I can melt that motor down with this hardware set up, without going in PSU shut down protection any more with full power) And particular with diy driver that was made too. All the same for the 150W PSU, but it's more a transformer based type one, and do not recall the protective shutdowns with it.

My advice to nopilpl, in simple terms without going info caps etc, to find another power supply. (with big transformer inside, not the inverter type). Or find a low junk powerfull transformer and build a good rectifier to it. Or build an additional caps and even diodes to the one he had. Or to test it again, using a small motor. But not the 770 type like, just simple toy car small dc motors. For the sake of a test and to make a sense for those who needs it) .

P.s. Have got an example with a sketch to test the encoder, until got the info on the pull up resistors to encoder channels, in order to make it work, so that was useless test too with sketch, in the initial terms )

Simply know better "the nuts and bolts")
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  16. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Simply because things that are obvious to you is not always obvious to everyone else.
    There is absolutely no need to be rude Sieben.

There you go!
    #humblebrag ;)
  17. nopilpl

nopilpl New Member

Balance:
    213Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Hi
    Sorry for not writing but I didnt had much free time. I connected everything like you showed @Sieben but encoder stopped working. When i connect those diodes and capacitors, encoder doesnt work. Encoder starts working when i disconnect those diodes and caps.
    Thanks for help,
  18. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    nopilpl they have no relation to the encoder and it's work at all, if smth.....

Can show the picture of the caps and diodes you supposedly had assembled over there?
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  19. nopilpl

nopilpl New Member

Balance:
    213Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Ok, i just connected encoder to other power supply and it works. I connected 4 caps like you but the motor still 'jumps'. Should i use more caps? Ofc im using those diodes.
    Thanks for help
  20. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0