1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Thoughts on FREX 6DOF G-Force Sim Rig?

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by Chipless, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Chipless

Chipless Member

Balance:
    132Coins
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Although I doubt anyone on here has tried this rig personally, I would still love to hear your opinions on this. Especially @SeatTime, since this is somewhat similar in theory to one of the latest iterations of his seats. Undoubtedly, it will be expensive, and it doesn't seem like the most efficient way to simulate the desired g-forces, but I am a total novice, and would appreciate the discussion on the merits and/or shortfalls of rig such as this one.

2. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Yes, very similar to what I have, although the movement of my seat base and back is fully independent and I can adjust the width of my 'seat'. I can see what they are trying to do, but they are still leaving allot on the simulation table, with no active paddles and harnesses. I think I am getting way more value out of my current 6 actuators.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. thefost

thefost Member

Balance:
    242Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Huh, that's a really interesting system. So in terms of motion, would it be pretty much be doing the exact same movements as a full sized 6DOF rig, only it's just doing it for the seat with a very small stroke?
  4. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yes, but similar to my own sim it uses the surrounding 'seat' as a pressure pad to apply extended DOF pressure to the body above and for longer then what is normally possible with a standard Stewart Platform. It therefore only needs to move a small amount.
  5. thefost

thefost Member

Balance:
    242Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Thanks SeatTime. So here's a weird idea that I'm wondering if you think is theoretically possible. Let's say I have a normal full sized 6DOF simulator rig (say flypt style). What if I connected some bowden cables to each of the actuators and then used those cables to control a second, much smaller stewart platform below the seat. With much lower stroke and some clever engineering, do you think it would be theoretically possible to use the second stewart platform to create a g-seat kinda like in the video?
  6. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yes, but it would be challenging to build and 'tune'.
  7. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,887Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,083 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    it's a kind of gecko seat inverted. With Gecko seat you have to bear the seat on your shoulder... I tried and it's awfull. And you have to keep it centered (if not you bump the limits). This awareness is really bad for immersion.

Here, it's much better! no weigth, no need for the user to be aware of anything else than driving.
    I'd really like to test it :)
  8. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,572Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Its bad for immersion on G systems for the head too. That's why I designed G-skull to self center as g-forces cease if your head has moved from center. This makes your head and neck feel like they're naturally righting themselves so there's no break in immersion.
    • Like Like x 1