1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom Playseat Challenge - Maximum modifications (G-seat, Windsim, Handbrake, Brake/Throttle feedback)

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by MCage, Feb 27, 2019.

1. MCage

MCage New Member

Balance:
    43Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Hi there,

I'm a longtime reader of this forum and used this forum for lot of reasearch and ideas.
    Over the past year or so I had to make a choice on a racing rig. Nr 1 on the list was portability and ease of setup.

Therefore I finaly settled for a ready made chair but to add all my required addons in stages while maintaining portability. For this I chose the Playseat Challange: relatively cheap, good build quality, lots of room to add stuff to it and fully collapsible with everything attached in under a minute.

Now besides the bare chair I wanted to add the following besides my Logitech G27 with shifter set:

For the feedback in the chair itself I opted for the Gametrix jetseat

Everything except G-seat is now in place. The G-seat portion is in the works and all parts are ordered and slowly getting in.. so thought would be time to write up on the how to's..

For the software I use the following:
    For the G-seat I'm planning to use SimTools

20181210_111117 - kopie.jpg 20181210_111122 - kopie.jpg

NB. Since I own a 3D printer, quite a lot of 3D printing has been done to create the end result. Concidering the low prices of 3D printers these days esp compared to the stuff we might add to our rigs its a nice investment that may pay off..
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  2. MCage

MCage New Member

Balance:
    43Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Part 1: Handbrake for G27

20171029_151654 - kopie.jpg 20171029_115017 - kopie.jpg 20171029_122538 - kopie.jpg

3D printer files:

Electronic/components:
    Instructions
    • Print the 3D files (used PLA, 0.3mm layer height, heigh infill)
    • Add the roller switches and connect them to the 3.5mm male jack connector (see pic for wirediagram)
    • Use the following manual:
      ()
      for soldering the connections to the G27 shifter module and instead of a fixed output lead I used the 3.5mm female connector on the side (see first pic on location)
    • Creative Creative x 1
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  3. MCage

MCage New Member

Balance:
    43Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Part 2: Suspension feedback (buttkickers)

trans1.jpg trans2.jpg

3D printer files:

Electronic/components:
    • 2x Transducer
    • 1x amp
    • 2x RCA female connector
    • Speaker cable
    Software/code

Instructions:
    • Print the 3D files
    • Connect a piece of wood to the front and back using the 3D printed connectors as shown in pictures
    • Add the mounting plate to the wood using wood screws
    • Add the transducer as shown to the mounting plate.
    • Solder the speaker cable to the transducer and RCA connectors
    • !! Make sure to watch out for the impedence of the transducters.. Mine got really hot on load and had to run them in parallel instead each channel seperate to reduce heat.
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  4. MCage

MCage New Member

Balance:
    43Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Part 3: Wind Sim

20181210_111117.jpg 20181210_111122.jpg 20181210_111127.jpg 20190324_113013 - kopie.jpg

3D printer files:

Electronic/components:
    Alternative GoPro mount (not tested myself)

Software/code:

Instructions:
    • Print the 3D files (PLA, 0.2mm, 20% infill)
    • For the code and wiring, follow these (https://github.com/kshiba/SimHUB-WindSim-Scketch) instructions
    • The control box where the arduino houses is fixed using double sided tape
    • All USB wiring go to one central USB hub at the bottom front of the chair
    • In SimHub simply add the arduino, call it 'WINDSIM' and set the message binding according to the instructions here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Creative Creative x 1
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  5. MCage

MCage New Member

Balance:
    43Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    • Creative Creative x 1
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  6. MCage

MCage New Member

Balance:
    43Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Part 5: Pneumatic G-seat

3D printer files:

Electronic/components:

Software/code:

Instructions:

So this took a bit longer then expected due to getting all the parts in (especially the Chinese ones).
    In the mean time I started designing and printing the electronics housing part and thinking about the placement of all the components on the Playseat Challange.

20190324_120143 - kopie.jpg 20190324_120203 - kopie.jpg

For the placement of the servo's and bladders I got to think to place them on the back side of the chair where I have currently one basshaker. To get some more room I will move the crossbar on top instead now below the leggs and add another crossbar to mount the hinges tight. I already printed the connectors and got the crossbar on length and painted.

20190324_120250 - kopie.jpg

For the electronics housing I opted for one case with the PSU, DC converter and Arduino integrated. I came up with this:
    20190322_235415 - kopie.jpg 20190323_131713 - kopie.jpg
    Basicly its 3 cases created with The Unlimited Box Maker glued together ;)

Now I'm fairly new to all the arduino electronics stuff and just uploaded some code, hooked the servo and... got some weird effects on the servo like jitter.. Now I found a lot of posts on Arduino and servo jitter but no solution initially. Example of my servo jitter

Till I just found the solution: common ground.. as the servo is powered by my PSU and the Arduino gets the power by the USB port the ground level differs from the pin it gets driven by. Making a common ground between the PSU, Arduino and Servo fixed the annoying jitter issue.

Servo Jitter fixed connections.jpg

Now that sorted I just have to get the simtools software to start testing the connections and arduino code.

While waiting for the license I started adding the mounting support on the seat to accomodate the bladder bags. Make sure to use some isolation tape to the mounting parts to avoid scratches and to improve friction
    20190325_101620 - kopie.jpg

Mounting the extra cross bar:
    20190325_101624 - kopie.jpg
    Support bar installed:
    20190325_103352 - kopie.jpg

Now ready to add the hinges and bladder bags.

20190325_103857 - kopie.jpg 20190325_103914 - kopie.jpg
    All 4 bags installed. 2 on each side!
    20190325_141523 - kopie.jpg

I used some velcro to mount the bags to the hinges

20190325_142024 - kopie.jpg 20190325_142201 - kopie.jpg 20190325_142928 - kopie.jpg

Now its time to add the 4 bladders that will provide the lifting

20190325_143233 - kopie.jpg

I installed 2 at the back side and 2 at the seat. For now I placed them loose to test the placement but in the end I will secure them with some velcro

20190325_143521 - kopie.jpg 20190325_143532 - kopie.jpg

Now it is time for some plumbing ;) Each lifting bag is coupled to a T connector which goes to both the bladder at the servo side and to the pump/valve used to control the initial air pressure

20190325_144549 - kopie.jpg 20190325_144556 - kopie.jpg 20190325_145542 - kopie.jpg 20190325_150846 - kopie.jpg

With all the plumbing in place, the next step is the electronics. I start with the Servo's.
    Note that I found that you have to pay close attention to the turn orientation of the Servo in regards to the axis of the Servo. The axis placement is not in the center so when you place it the wrong way around the arm can get stuck to the hinge!

20190325_161307 - kopie.jpg 20190328_232343 - kopie.jpg

NB. As you can see, I mounted the servo's with common tie wraps. To secure them more firmly and restrict vertical movement I taped them as well in the end.

With all the servo's in place, it's time for the elecrical wiring. First I wanted to use all the connectors for ease of maintenance. I soon found it would be too fragile so I soldered everything together. Tie wrapped everything to the cross bars and guided the wiring to the front at the x-joint of the chair itself.

20190328_232350 - kopie.jpg 20190328_232356 - kopie.jpg

Well, spoiler. As you could tell from the last fotograph to illustrate the wiring it was now time to place the electronics box.

I mounted the electronicsbox simply by using screws and screwing it through the bottom of the box to the crossbar at the front. Now, I got a bit of a challenge with my box design with the arduino connection I didn't account for. The USB connector is way too long, so I cut a hole to the side so the USB connector would fit.
    Hook up all the connectors as by my initial test using the common ground and close the case. I secured it with tape the hinges proved to fragile with PLA.

20190328_234657 - kopie.jpg 20190329_003455 - kopie.jpg

All the hardware is now in place, now on to the software. I used the following settings (can't recall the source to reference but sure didn't find out myself ;))

Instellingen2.jpg

Here are the Interface output settings:
    R<Axis1b>~L<Axis2b>~F<Axis3b>~B<Axis4b>~G<Axis5b>~H<Axis6b>~

These are my settings in game:
    Instellingen1.jpg

And that sums up my little project. It was a fun ride and I must say, it adds far more immersion then I anticipated. Especially the heave is an extra bonus I didn't account for. Hope someone can have some advantage with their build with this, have fun..

Log:
    - 30/3 Final tweaks and finish up of the project
    - 27/3 Simtools setup and first testing
    - 26/3 Installed all wiring
    - 25/3 Installed all hardware components and pneumatics
    - 24/3 All ordered components in
    - 4/3 Started designing and printing parts
    - 28/2 Ordered all the parts and some are already getting in. Added the list of parts ordered and the shops

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  7. MCage

MCage New Member

Balance:
    43Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Well, that's a wrap! Latest addition G-seat done and working!

Probably most people didn't even notice my threat as I just eddited my posts instead of adding posts so it got swamped down. But to raise some more awareness: It's done and works (most importantly, still foldable and portable!)
    Enjoy and till the next project (or if you have some questions feel free to ask)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. asteroulis

asteroulis New Member

Balance:
    174Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Well this is a great project . I Just received a playseat challenge because I was curious for my children , and I immediately started searching for upgrading possibilities because it's soooo well made. I was thinking about bass shakers , but I was really amazed by your pneumatic project there!
  9. MCage

MCage New Member

Balance:
    43Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Thnx, stil working great even after all that time.
    Changed the gseat from 2 at back and 2 at legs to all 4 at the back: 2 at the sides for left and right turns and 2 in the center of back for surge (brake and accelerate) for better immersion.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,875Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    congrats!! very good job and neat improvements :thumbs

that would be so cool to see a video of the pneumatic Gseat
  11. MCage

MCage New Member

Balance:
    43Coins
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Will try soon.. bit tricky to drive and record the same time. Will setup some axis and effect simulation and record it.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Jumping Coin

Jumping Coin Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    470Coins
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Excellent write-up @MCage ! I'm hoping to do a similar G-Seat project. My only problem is I can't seem to find those types hinges. All of the hinges that I find are long rather than wide. Any suggestions for where to pick them up or what search terms to use to find them?

Thanks!