1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Ledfoot's 2DOF simulator project

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by ledfoot, Sep 15, 2009.

1. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks
  2. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Here's another video using the WTCC BMW in Race 07. This time I'm using the CX's iRacing profile with lateral forces inverted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw7iZC-63bw

Tonight I'll be using Bernard's rFactor template to create my own profile.
  3. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Here's a vid of a profile I created using the SimXperience template. I'm very happy with the results so far and I'm just tweaking the speed and acceleration values. In this video I'm using a speed value of 4000 and acceleration of 150. I've since increased the speed to 22500 and left the acceleration at 150.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccz0oOE8ExI
  4. johnfatboy

johnfatboy New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    :clap: :cheers: 8)
  5. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    second video is better one i think. good larger movments. nice setup. I think when i hook up my actuators ill be using the same angles that youve done.
  6. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Fahim,

I'm still experimenting to find the optimal actuator angle and CG point for my setup. I used bvillersjr's plugin test with my original setup and found that my actuators were not at an optimal angle and were working too hard at extreme angles. I moved the CG point further back and it made things much better. I think I am also going to change my actuator's so that they angle a little further back and outward. I want to make sure they can handle my weight (220 lbs) at extreme angles and recover without putting too much stress on them.

So far things have progressed really well and I have also solved the issue I was experiencing with version 2.1.03 not working properly. It seems to have some problem with Windows UAC and I had to enable UAC, change my IP address and then the program started working. I'm using SimXperience commander which disables UAC during the install process but x-sim is still working now even with UAC disabled. I'm not even going to try and figure out why it affected it since this issue along with a BFG Nvidia GTX 285 factory overclocking issue caused me to rebuild my PC 2 times!!!!

Anyhow all is well now :)
  7. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I spent some time testing various actuator angles and I was able to find the optimal angle for my setup. Using the test plugin, I was able to find an angle that can sustain more than 240lbs without bottoming out at extreme angles and without putting the actuators under any major stress. I found that the actuators performed better when I moved the base further out and they had a more gradual angle rather than the rather steep angle they had before. I also increased the width of the base and moved the actuator base out about 5 inches on each side.

Here is the before:
    http://img24.imageshack.us/i/dsc4195.jpg/

And after:
    http://img33.imageshack.us/i/dsc4217l.jpg/
    http://img41.imageshack.us/i/dsc4218u.jpg/

I highly recommend that you use bvillersjr's process for testing the actuators and ensure that you have the proper angle for your setup as it made a huge difference for me. I was also able to remove the percent limiter from my profiles since I am no longer affraid of them bottoming out under exteme conditions. I still run the default 25% in the SCN5's setup though.

Here is a new vid of the new setup in action with rFactor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kECY4amJt2s

Also added a 4 point racing harness to keep me strapped in ;)
    http://img36.imageshack.us/i/dsc4220b.jpg/

Thanks Bernard for all of your advice and assistance.

....Mike
  8. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    It's nice to see someone finally get it right! I put all of the information out there a long time ago, but people just keep doing what Frex did. Now at least one other person can see the light. Just because Frex did it, doesn't make it right...lol

So now that your simulator is able to move your weight at much higher speeds, you can take full advantage of some of my personal profiles. I have to tone down the community versions that I publish because the standard frex actuator angles would destroy 150mm actuators with more agressive profiles. I'll get you a PM and a zip file sometime in the next few days.

:cheers:
  9. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Bernard,

I certainly hope that others perform the testing as well so that they can understand where the limit of thier system is. As you mentioned before, there are many variables to consider (weight, CG point, seat back angle, etc..) so an angle the works in one system may not work in others but there is that sweet spot in all setups that we should be shooting for.

.....Mike
  10. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Can I ask what size actuators you use ledfoot. I'm concerned now as the bottom of my frame is not long enough to set the angles like you have just done on your last post. I can only achieve dimensions from your first setups. I use 100mm actuator.
  11. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I use 150mm actuators. If you're using the same aliminum profiles, perhaps you can mode the seat mount and seat assembly a little bit forward so that you have room in the back. You can also move the rear piece further back by mounting it on the outside instead of the inside. That way you can extent the piece outside of the frame and achive a wider left and right angle.

...Mike
  12. Zhuravlik

Zhuravlik New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Where is that plugin ?

It´s part to the some software...I am a newbie sorry !!

Thanks for your photos to the new setup, and the videos.

Regards
  13. ne02005

ne02005 Member

Balance:
    105Coins
    Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hi nice work!
    I just finished the AVR Motion Controller Board 1.5 and Dual Simple Mosfet H Bridges.

It´s working Ok in my tests, The wiper motors move side by side well. The lcd indicates the pots values.
    I can comunicate with Hyperterminal too!! and change KP settings.

BUT...

I have a problem to configure the X-Sim software to setup the board.

I´m using Native Serial port COM1, but I don´t know how configure it...
    I´m searching about 1 week (8 hours per day) of reading... but I can´t find a tutorial or video guide that works.

I don´t know what version of X-Sim is best for AVR.
    There is any tutorial, for the Tronic AVR controller? If so, I can´t find it.
    I hope you can help me.

Thanks a lot for your time.
    Thanks
  14. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The test plugin is built into the x-sim software. Select it from the list of plugins in the force sender software. You will also need the test pofile that is supplied by bvillersjr. You can find the instructions here:
    http://www.x-simulator.de/wiki/Testing_Your_2DOF_DIY_Motion_Base_To_Prevent_Damage_To_Your_Actuators

Ne02005,

I am using SCN5's in my setup so I am not exactly sure how to configure x-sim to use the AVR boards. I am interested in experimenting with a 3DOF platform based on wiper motors so I will be doing some reasearch on how to set this up. I'll send you the information if I find it. Don't get discouraged if the information is not easy to come by as I'm certain that someone with knowledge of the subject will answer eventually. 3 Weeks ago, I knew nothing about motion based simulators and now I'm enjoying one every day :).

Perhaps if you let me know exactly what the issue is you're having, I can help you research it and find the answer.

....Mike
  15. Zhuravlik

Zhuravlik New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks ledfoot !!

Regards
  16. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    You're welcome.
  17. Fahim

Fahim Member

Balance:
    245Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That is exactley what im doing :)
    But I cannot move the seat too far foward because of the steering wheel is fixed in one position.(Cannot be moved)
    But the fact that I am using 100mm and im skinny like a ethiopian I think the first set up you did will be okay for me.

p.s Look foward to more videos from you.
  18. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    LOL... As long as you get good results during the test, you should be good to go since there are many variables to achieve an optimal setup (including weight :)).

I just finished adding a keyboard holder to my setup and adjusted the pedals a bit better so that I can properly heel toe when using the clutch and I am now ready to fully enjoy this rig :).

Bernard, please remember to send me some of those extreme profiles when you get a chance....lol

I'll be taking some more photos and video this weekend.

...Mike

Attached Files:

19. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    2.1.0.4 profiles or earlier version profiles?

Attached Files:

20. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm still currently running 2.1.03 but if the 2.1.04 profiles are much better I'll upgrade so that I can take advantage of them. I'm planning on doing some testing on 2.1.04 this weekend anyway so send me both if you can.

...Mike