1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Diablo2112's 4-axis SFX-100 build

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by diablo2112, Jul 2, 2019.

1. diablo2112

diablo2112 Member

Balance:
    662Coins
    Ratings:
    +143 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Motion platform, 4DOF
    A couple of pics to add to my settings for use of a 0.6mm nozzle to print parts in under 100 hours. See my post, above, for details. These pics document how changes to your slicer can effect surface finish. PM me or drop a question here if you need further explanation/info.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Hoddem

Hoddem Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    3,342Coins
    Ratings:
    +715 / 2 / -0
    hey @diablo2112, awesome build. I am starting my own actuator build and I was wondering if you feel the seat motion is worth having in addition to the actuators. I already have a 2dof rig and I'm torn on whether to incorporate the seat motion into my new build.. Also do you run roll on your seat motion, or do you feel that it is unnecessary because the chassis already does roll. I could see using the chassis actuators for pitch, roll and heave and then just the seat for pitch.
  3. Lgars39

Lgars39 Member

Balance:
    200Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    With all this beautiful material, you will be able to blow the record
  4. sberns

sberns Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    432Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5, Arduino
    @Hoddem i also started with a seat mover and then incorporated other DIY systems, including the SFX project. I can say that IMO the two systems work EXTREMELY well together and I would definitely consider trying to get them to work in tandem. If I turn off my seat mover, the sfx system is still awesome, but things feel more natural and immersive with both working together.

My setup:
    Seat mover: Surge, Sway
    SFX: Heave, Pitch, Roll
    GSeat: Surge, Sway
    Belt Tensioner: Surge
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Hoddem

Hoddem Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    3,342Coins
    Ratings:
    +715 / 2 / -0
    So with your seat mover and the sfx100 what is each doing when you turn left at high speed. I assume the rig rolls right, but then does the chair roll left for sway?
  6. sberns

sberns Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    432Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5, Arduino
    When turning, SFX (roll) represents the movement of the chassis and hence it moves the rig in the same direction as the turn; it’s not usually big movement (ie usually the cars we drive in a sim have stiff suspensions and do not have much body roll). The Gseat and seat mover attempt to represent the g-forces experienced, and hence tilt only the seat (and apply body pressure) in the opposite direction to the turn. Again, not big movements (as I find less is more) but when tuned properly, it all feels very natural and immersive.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. cubexxx

cubexxx Member

Balance:
    532Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, 4DOF
    Hi @diablo2112, I've recently completed my SFX-100 build and am currently using simfeedback with the Leonardo controller. I understand you have used both this and the Thanos AMC-AASD15A controller (with simtools). Could you maybe elaborate in more detail the difference in achievable "perceived motion quality"? Would I mostly would like to have would be "fast and responsive, but still smooth and without jerkiness and stuttering". Now while the leonardo controller is imho sufficiently fast, there is some jerkiness and "not-so smooth" feeling. Also, did you perceive any differences regarding EMI? Also, I like the "traction loss"-effect in simfeedback. Can you replicate that with simtools?
    Thanks
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2019
  8. viper20

viper20 New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    80Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Hey @diablo2112

Would you kindly post your settings for Simtools for Assetto Corsa?

Thanks!
  9. diablo2112

diablo2112 Member

Balance:
    662Coins
    Ratings:
    +143 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I'm running the same settings in Simtools for AC. Haven't used it much, so haven't spent much time tuning for that sim.
  10. diablo2112

diablo2112 Member

Balance:
    662Coins
    Ratings:
    +143 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
  11. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi @diablo2112 quick question, My SFX type 4DOF is running great and proving to be an amazing simulator , i have only one issue of note , and thats the feeling of the frame twisting slightly when the actuators are powered down ,, my frame is 40 x 90 ,solid build but this little thing is something im trying to reduce by adding extra cross braces .. is this something you have noticed with your setup :)
  12. diablo2112

diablo2112 Member

Balance:
    662Coins
    Ratings:
    +143 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I've not had any issues with flex or twisting of my frame. It's mainly 8040 with some 4040 cross bracing.
  13. misoswan

misoswan Active Member

Balance:
    1,000Coins
    Ratings:
    +72 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, JRK
    i read so sfx-100. that they are noisy.stepper motor or inventer.it's true or it's silent? thanks
  14. Luka Usenicnik

Luka Usenicnik New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Balance:
    131Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hi everyone, I've designed some new top and bottom mounts for the SFX100 and CNC'd them out of aluminum. It eliminates any flex from the actuators and improves overall performance :) The sliders are CNC'd out of a self lubricating plastic called OILON to prevent any wear and tear.
    As you can see the linear bearing sits inside the bottom cover and makes the actuators look cleaner :)
    Next thing in production are CNC motor mounts.
    I can still make these parts if anyone is interested in getting them for theirselves.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. prodigy

prodigy Burning revs

Balance:
    6,698Coins
    Ratings:
    +399 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, AC motor, SCN5, JRK
    @Luka Usenicnik do you make the "bump stop" part too? It is also usually 3D printed part inside the profile.
  16. Luka Usenicnik

Luka Usenicnik New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Balance:
    131Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hi, yes its possible to make those parts too :)
  17. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi @diablo2112 thnaks for the feedback , the twisting i get is more feeling rather than anything dramatic , the frame is quite solid so i guess its just where the Cockpit is suspended by 3 legs sometime depending on how quickly they backdrive without power , bought an extra 90 x 40 x 580 cross brace so all in all it will have 4 .. will see how that goes :) these things are beast though and im loving it ( now if only i could stay on the track long enough to be called a sim racer of sorts LOL )
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Roger Graham

Roger Graham New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    293Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi @diablo2112, this is some nice inspiration!

What did you do with all of the excess cable length from the actuators? Is it just curled up inside the Nave rack, or did you go the extra mile and cut the various cables to the correct length?

Do the servo controllers get at all warm inside the Nave case, i.e. do you need to have any fans turned on?
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  19. diablo2112

diablo2112 Member

Balance:
    662Coins
    Ratings:
    +143 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Excess cable is coiled up inside the Nave case. I haven't noticed the controllers getting hot at all, they seem to run quite cool. No problems with this setup since July 2019.
  20. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Having accidentally left my Driver power on for 24 hours, i popped the lid off my Nearly sealed Enclosure ( simple Wire exit holes on the bottom side of case) And the Drivers were warm, but No where close to being Hott or in danger,

Curious as well @Luka Usenicnik Do you also do the parts for the Item24 stuff ?