1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom Treadmill motor belt drive DC OSW

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Matthew turner, Aug 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Llewelyn

Llewelyn Member

IT consultant
    Balance:
    108Coins
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF
    Hi guys,dont know if anyone will be able to assist me,I have a treadmill motor which I am using as a direct wheel drive,dont know any specs of it.I have connected it to my arduino and IBT2 motor driver,it works but seems as if it lacks power,specially if I try to counter the wheel I easily overcome the wheel torque power.I am using a transformer 24v 70 amp power supply,so it has enough power.The IBT2 driver does not even get warm during use.I thought using a high voltage motor at low voltage will draw high current and therefore increase torque,but it isnt ,thats why the IBT2 is not even getting warm during use.Any ideas?
  2. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    You can fix it :).

Edit Thread Title.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Matthew turner

Matthew turner New Member

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, I've been off the radar for weeks. I'll try and answer some of these questions over the next few days.
  4. Matthew turner

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Hi, you cant connect the 12V and 120V power supplies like you are showing. The 12V is the mosfet driver power supply and the 120V supply is for the wheel. This design is extremely dangerous if you don't understand how it works :)
  5. Matthew turner

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Cheers!, Um, I'm not sure what you mean about the other schematics - the one I put here what use.
  6. Matthew turner

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I'll try to get to it at some stage - I only got as far as doing a lut file... and finding it was so flat I didn't need it. At the moment the wheel is doing what it is intended to - being a wheel I can drift wheel that doesn't make crunching noises like my G29 did. This and being able to spin back really quick to catch the slide - the g29 sucked for that with a bigger wheel.
  7. Matthew turner

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    A big switch mode power supply would be the best way to improve this for a larger motor. As it is, the power supply isn't even regulated!

You need PWM, DIR and !DIR for this to work as is. You could use a transistor to get the !DIR if you needed to though.
  8. Matthew turner

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I tried direct and it got soo hot it melted the wheel hub I printed and smelled of burning brushes. I guess the motor isn't meant to provide full power at a complete stall. I used the pulleys from the treadmill so maybe they are specifically chosen for the characteristics of the motor. It didn't feel any better direct drive before it melted.
  9. Matthew turner

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My treadmill motor was rated at 160V. That is why I use the arcade transormer to give me my HV supply. I used 36V on the bench for testing and it was less powerful than a G29. I also found my motor hated being in a direct drive configuration, getting extremely hot and burning the brushes, even with a custom blower fan.
  10. Matthew turner

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Interesting! interested to see how you go with it - sounds like you are doing the research ;)

Only change I'd like to do now is add more caps to the PSU as it gets mains hum when above 30% (saying that 30% is too hard to drive for more than a few minutes) and add a PWM controller like a KA3525 to do closed loop current control on an additional MOSFET instead of hacking the PWM of the MMOS into the shutdown pins.
  11. weld12

weld12 New Member Gold Contributor

Mechanical/technical/engineering/scientific
    Balance:
    195Coins
    Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Thanks for replying.
    Where I'm at with this; I can get reasonable torque at software end stops and return to center spring effect. (Moving from a G27 with over sized wheel!) The direct drive mount and encoder is a nice change from plastic.
    I've only tried some older sims like GTR2 - maybe why I have little road feelo_O. Canned effects they say. With MMOS I have to run at higher frequency 16.3?hz and PWM/DIR or I have no FFB.

The PWM from the STM32F4 seems to convert reasonably well through the H-bridge as
    -10 - 0 and 0-10, supposed to maintain same frequency through it. KBMG picks up analog voltage faster now that I adjusted the pots for accel/decel, there is many to adjust to suit this application :eek:.

Moving forward I'm unsure how long these brushes will last and getting a lot of noise, harmonics.
    A symptom of the SCR that might be helped somewhat with a class a or b line filter from the mains.
    I cut out the center of the treadmill pulley, welded to a plumbing floor flange makes it rough through the wheel.:grin
    I'll try AC,Dirt Rally on the sim sometime.
    With my limit on time and knowledge this is where I've gotten.
    I will start a thread with my questions to the experts on here soon as I go along.
    KBMG212D.jpg
  12. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Hi) No not talking about the step test2 for linearity, but for the step test, the very first one, from three of'em in wheelcheck. And if not hard just drop the csv file or pm me) I'm quite interested in it. Thanks)
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  13. Matthew turner

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    That's definitely a unique setup! I've only used Assetto Corsa with this wheel so I have no idea how the other sims go. I turn all canned effects off and only play with the gain setting.

You should definitely start your own thread! You have some cool concepts going on for sure.