1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

6 DOF from scratch

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Pierre Lalancette, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Pierre Lalancette

Pierre Lalancette Sir Lalancelot Gold Contributor

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +883 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    I will probably start from scratch again on day, but for a little 2 DOF.
    A few of my friends that tested my simulator want something similar, but they don't wanna pay.
    A 2 DOF would be a possibility.

I agree, the tweaking and tinkering never end. I guess, that's the fun of it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Maybe book a appointment with the Doc :p. As for comfort - I remember how bad my carbon rig was to get in and out of :rolleyes: Only real adjustment I had were the pedals and seat by moving the attachment holes. The fiberglass capsule was much better, but as you may know I am now in the planning stages of building a G-Capsule which itself will be stationary and mounted just above the floor on a small equipment box/plinth. One of the main reasons for doing this was ease of access and comfort for all expected users and of course VR motion cancellation will likely not be required.
  3. Pierre Lalancette

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +883 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    No appointent to my doctor for now, he's in court for minor molesting (no joke). :confused:
    I think that minimal rig is the way to go. Easier to calibrate, to maintain, to access and play. I am looking forward to your new rig, as always.
    I guess I like to complicate my life with a full 6dof. But, like SilentChill points out, the main part are done. Now, it's tweaking for better experience.
    A stair to get in would be a nice addition too. In my to do list.

Edit:
    Also, I tested Pimax Motion Cancellation again and it was glitchy. I have to test the game again without it, to see if it's not another problem. I have to test controller position too. But that will be another time.

I got a $170 coupon for a new pimax by sending my Vive. I have to use it within 3 month. Get the 8KX in sale already (even if I'm broke right now).
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  4. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Nothing wrong with a 6DOF:thumbs have fun, but in my constant quest for realism and now ease of use, I have moved on - 6DOFs are so yesterday.. :p.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. hannibal

hannibal Active Member

Balance:
    4,489Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    i built non-motion sim chairs.. my first time i bought ebay racing seats.. it also cause me numbness.. gave me nerve pain until i stopped using them and threw them away, and redesigned my setup with staples office chairs, and i was ok ever since. i cant stress enough how important the egronomics are.

right now i am banging my head on my build.
    im struggling with a design, in addition i will have to depend on friend to weld.
    but i am on to something.. base off @wannabeaflyer2 drawings, @pmvcda hexa graphic, @SilentChill 's hiem mounts, and dofreality P6 frame.. some how im going to mash them together.. to create my own top frame.. but number on on egronomics.

i advise u to lay off sitting on your current set up.. it took me 3-4 months to recover from the nerve damage that the cheap ebay seats.. and the flaw of my design. mainly if you keep your feet elevated, so that the lip of the bucket seat doesnt dig in behind your thighs, you should be ok. now if they are.. u will need to redesign..

good luck, stay safe.

full-11822-69732-img_0019.jpg full-11822-84521-img_0493.jpg full-11822-115003-dsc_1926.jpg
  6. hannibal

hannibal Active Member

Balance:
    4,489Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    what are you on sir... where does this hobby have you now? @SeatTime
  7. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Retirement has freed me of feeling the need to do things in certain ways,( like most people are forced to nowadays) - its quite liberating and breeds innovation. I have always loved innovating, so business as usual - most things from the old 6DOF will be reused in the new Rig :).
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  8. Pierre Lalancette

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +883 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    My actual seat is a race car seat, that I got at a rebate price.
    One of my mechanical friend is quite jealous of that seat, and would like it in is race car.
    It was nice before. It's a matter of placement, that I got wrong.
    I will change it. It's just that I need to redesign something all glued. It sucks.
    @hannibal I like the big glove and the sweat pant in your picture. :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. hannibal

hannibal Active Member

Balance:
    4,489Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    dont feel bad.
    i also have to go back to the drawing board :(
    lucky i am doing this now before i weld a top frame, but my bottom frame dimensions are wrong.

basically i make 60 degrees when my actuators are at lowest point. @Flymen says actuators should make 60 degrees at middle position..
    ughhghghg :(
  10. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Since I'm mostly into racing these days and have been for a while I just couldn't get motivated to build one myself. Imo there are better ways to go with less hassles unless you're a flight fanatic. Maybe you will start a new trend though and we will see more people get creative again :).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    You never know.., but I must stop polluting this thread :oops: - if interested, keep a eye on my build thread. I must have known something when I called it 'Seattimes Sims' :).
  12. Pierre Lalancette

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +883 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    No! Don't leave! I'll be all alone!
    I wanted to add break cables to my rig and make a moving seat ON a 6 dof.
    Since I have to redo the seat position sometime, I may consider this.
    Makes me wonder...
  13. hannibal

hannibal Active Member

Balance:
    4,489Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    i am with you @Pierre Lalancette dont leave me sir! you gotta keep
    @pmvcda busy with the FlyPT mover tweaking...

6DoF Lyfe!!
  14. pmvcda

pmvcda aka FlyPT

Balance:
    14,096Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,169 / 16 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Tomorrow, new build, new features. :)
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. hannibal

hannibal Active Member

Balance:
    4,489Coins
    Ratings:
    +297 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
  16. Pierre Lalancette

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +883 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Indeed. I am seated right next to my simulator.
    No time for it right now, but I should have some hours to spend on it.
    Stay tune.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Flymen

Flymen Flymen Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +191 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    @hannibal , you are from New york ? if yes , One day , come with me and we will go to take a beer may be two :cheers at Drummondville Quebec !:grin
  18. Pierre Lalancette

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +883 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Indeed. It always been an idea of me to reunite all people I could about simulator in a little gathering. But, for now, it's a bit difficult, and my sim is not fully operational.
  19. Pierre Lalancette

3D teacher
    Balance:
    7,683Coins
    Ratings:
    +883 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    For once, I had all the time in the world. So I decided to spend my morning by removing the seat and testing Pimax Motion Cancellation.

The seat part was quite easy. But, some of the tube used to hold it unglued. Those were among the first I did. Maybe I did not put enough glue, or my mix was not that good at that time. Anyway, I applied more glue among my first assembly parts of my frame, just to be sure.

IMG_2403.JPG

Then, it was PiTools Motion Cancellation. I'm testing it so I can send my results back to Pimax. My controller was already attached to the rig. So I attached the headset to the rig.

IMG_2404.JPG

I already have a more sophisticated support for the controller printed out.

IMG_2405.JPG

The version of Pitools is v1.0.1.180 beta. I'm writting all that stuff down so I know what to write to Pimax. Then, I fired up Elite Dangerous and filmed it when it was completely still. Even if I am not stable with the camera, we can still see some jitters in the stability at the screen.

Jitters with no motion compensation.

Again, this time, with Pitools Motion Compensation. Before we go on, there is a few things I'd like to note.
    When setting a controller for motion compensation, if you turn on another controller, the motion compensation is reset. When getting into your rig is already a challenge, a reset of the motion compensation can be quite annoying.
    If the rig stay still long enough, the controller will turn off and reset the motion cancellation. When the controller is at a position hard to reach, it can be very annoying.
    A good thing is that I tested the motion cancellation with the controller plugged in and it worked. So, a permanent setup can be make to have the controller always charged, always recharging.
    We would need a setup in Pitools to set motion cancellation permanent, even if we add an new controller, tracker or headset. Also, it should keep its connection even if the controller shuts down. Even better would be to have the option to never shut down that controller.

Even if I have the motion compensation on, we can still see the jitters at the screen.

Jitters with the motion compensation.

Here, I started to move the rig. As we can see, even if the headset is attached to the rig, we can see that the motion of the rig is interpreted into the movement of the head (but the head is still). Funny thing, after a few move, the jitters of the image seam to stabilize. Like Pimax needed some sort of calibration by movements.

Elite dangerous no motion compensation.

Here I added the Pitools Motion Cancellation and I reset the seat position. There is almost no jitters anymore. There is jerky movements of my rig, but the Elite Dangerous cockpit stay relatively stable to the screen, like it should do.

Elite Dangerous with motion compensation.

Last but not least, I noticed that once you have reset the seat position, it can be quite hard to do it again. The press of the button (in setting) will just not register. You have to do it in repetition until it register, once on twenty times.

Also, rotation is still not part of the seat rolls calibration of a motion cancellation controller.

edit: Motion cancellation ticket 17,094.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  20. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I was ready to book my flight to come to Canada man !!!
    • Funny Funny x 3