1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Linear actuator using ClearPath Integrated Servo System @ 72V DC

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by Dirty, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Ah, that explains why it looked so huge, travel is doubled!
  2. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Now that the travel is corrected I do gain a bit of heave by decreasing the length of the short sides of the bottom hex. I'll have to work the numbers again. LOL
  3. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Updated numbers. Note that I'm now back to the standard minimal dimensions on the short sides of the bottom hex.

It looks like the Heim joint angles are once again an issue for pitch and roll angles approaching 20 degrees. I don't expect I'll use that much but still I'll want to use joints that give me as much range as possible. Other than that, everything looks good!

updated trip linear 6dof dimensions and max travel.jpg
    Maximum travels shown here (mm and degrees) are the theoretical max so I'll have to take a bit out for a safety margin.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  4. hexpod

hexpod http://heXpod.xyz

Balance:
    7,091Coins
    Ratings:
    +336 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    I would say that’s an optimistic statement although it’s very good as a starting point.
    Depending on the design, actuation ability and the amount of HPF it can be that the heave full travel will need to be reduced by more than a half.

It’s a complex topic where the empirical approach will give you an answer.
  5. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    He's just talking about the actuator stroke spec to be entered into the "range" field of his software...
  6. hexpod

Balance:
    7,091Coins
    Ratings:
    +336 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    Oh sorry, I thought the discussion was going on how big the heave can be ?

The standard heim joints will have to be customized with spacers in order to allow more bank angle otherwise you will hit the limit pretty quickly.

The good question is if it makes sense to go for expensive 360 rotative u joints with the actuator length and stroke you take as option.

I don’t know.

For range limitations:
    - put 20 angular and 150 translational
    - construct a profile for a vehicle and apply filtering according to your needs
    - do all possible maneuvers except accident.

If you lock your platform increase first the HPF, if it doesn’t help increase the heave range limiter.

Otherwise you can search for bigger heave.
  7. hexpod

Balance:
    7,091Coins
    Ratings:
    +336 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    Since long time I was thinking about a safety feature based on joint angle of attack. I’ve abandoned it when I bend my legs to help to overcome the issue.

@pmvcda you could maybe imagine a setable starting point angle for heim joints (assuming the design starts with 0 degrees) and monitor the displacement of those.

It could maybe give a important info while you design the rig and prevent the collisions while driving it.

Best
  8. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Once I've got my G-seat built I'm expecting to use near 100% heave, 50% surge and sway, and keep the rotations pretty small based on past experiments probably about 10 degrees. I know, I know, I'm doing it wrong by letting cues clip but the platform only ever stays at those extreme heave positions for an instant.

I'm probably going to (stubbornly) use 330 mm on all translational DOF's, and 12-15 degrees max on all rotational DOF's. I still refuse to use software that stops the platform when clipping occurs. I'm also going to add a G-Seat.
  9. Trip Rodriguez

Trip Rodriguez VR Pilot

Balance:
    3,920Coins
    Ratings:
    +330 / 6 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    This would be a fantastic feature, but I do also understand "feature creep" and that it's possible this could be more difficult to implement than I would guess. If it's not too much work I would love to have that in the software. I've been trying to eyeball that very thing based on the 3D simulator in Mover.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  10. Dirty

Dirty Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,825Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    I ordered these:
    https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32789668396.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7c2c4c4dlOIKck
    ...for a 25mm belt, 30 teeth, with 6 having 10mm bore and 6 having 19mm bore.
    They fit onto the motors really well. Absolutely no gap.
    I glued them on with a tiny drop of Loctite 243 and [hope that I]can remove them with a heatgun.
    Anmerkung 2019-10-06 141752.png

IMG_0908.jpeg

IMG_0909.jpeg

IMG_0926.jpeg

Cheers,... Dirty
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,825Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    I pretty much agree!

Here's my cautious claim:
    - The rig is most stable in all directions when the actuator axises (is THAT even a word?) intersect at right angles.
    - The load on the actuators due vertical acceleration is smaller when the actuator axises intersect at acute angles.
    - The load on the actuators due lateral acceleration is smaller when the actuator axises intersect at obtuse angles.

Does that make sense? :confused:
  12. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,825Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    I got the motors from China! :)

Those are the ones I ordered,...

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32843516422.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.9b984c4dYKpspH

...and I find them great! @Thanos' AMC AASD-15A works great with them and they are easy to hook up.
    IMG_0914.jpeg

If you have ordinary European 240V, just put the Line (brown or black) on L1 and the Neutral (blue) on L2. Polarity shouldn't even make a difference here.

If you use six of them on a Stewart platform, make sure to utilize all three Lines of the 3-phase supply in your home as evenly as possible. I will use...
    - Phase 1 for actuators 1 & 4
    - Phase 2 for actuators 2 & 5
    - Phase 3 for actuators 3 & 6
    ...so each line will supply two actuators that are diametrically opposed.

I will stay with these motors and abandon the ClearPaths, mostly because all six of those motors are less expensive than only the 75V DC power supplies required from Teknic.

Cheers,.... :)
    • Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  13. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,825Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    Oh, and probably also noteworthy:
    These motors have a 19mm shaft with an inserted key. After spending an hour trying to find key'ed pulleys, I noticed that you can pull them out of the "trench" with a strong pair of pliers :thumbs
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. hexpod

Balance:
    7,091Coins
    Ratings:
    +336 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    The issue is that the EU standard for new electrical installations usually lay the 3 hot 230V only to the kitchen for induction cookers which needs such a power. Otherwise the max in other rooms is 230V 16 Amp everywhere else.

What are the limitations of this system if you don’t want to destroy the half of your appartement by creating new installation for simulator purpose ?

Could you calculate by how much the power of 6 motors has to be reduced in order to fit 16 Amp/230V on a single phase ? I am to stupid for that.
  15. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,825Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    Please have that checked by a professional:
    1. 16A * 230V = 3680 Watts (peak) coming out of a single outlet ("Steckdose")
    2. In reality better stay below 3000W.
    3. 500W per motor should work fine.
    You're right, 380V/3-phase is mostly only available in kitchens and bathrooms. It is however certainly available in your circuit breaker closet ("Sicherungskasten"). Maybe you can have a 3Phase outlet installed next to or inside the circuit breaker closet.

Cheers,... :)
  16. hexpod

Balance:
    7,091Coins
    Ratings:
    +336 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    Yes, now actually my little finger tells me that you should be fine with 6 1KW motors on a single phase 16amp 230V

If the rated torque is 1/3 of the peak, that means that the maximum theoretical current draw for holding the load will be around 2 KW for the whole system. (333W per motor) In reality you have to take a good margin so you can take 1.5 KW as max.

It gives you room to accelerate over 1G with all 6 motors using a half of their peak power and leaves the full power for some motors while returning from unbalanced poses where the load is unequally split between the actuators. So I would say you don’t need 3 phases.

Without being an expert that’s what my simple logic tells me.

Cheers
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  17. hexpod

Balance:
    7,091Coins
    Ratings:
    +336 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    This system seems really great. Bravo @Thanos for making this possible.

You don’t have to be afraid anymore about lack of torque and you can finally easily build and interface strong and steady rigs capable of holding and accelerating big loads.

I bet such a power could even handle a light dual cockpit platforms.

It will rock like hell. Don’t forget all safety precautions.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Thanos

Thanos Building the Future one AC Servo at a time... or 6

Electronics Engineer
    Balance:
    2,692Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,043 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    On the photo, where you have a label as encoder on the cable on the screw terminal, this cable is actually the 3phase AC power for the motor!!! Just saying ;)

Which cable you may want to replace at some point. Its unshielded and produces lots of EMI
    https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...controller-thread.168360/page-26#post-3070461
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  19. hexpod

Balance:
    7,091Coins
    Ratings:
    +336 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, 6DOF
    @Thanos, It’s a shame to reveal my ignorance but I just want to die less stupid.

This servo drive is designed to be powered by a single phase 230V than it sends 3 x 230V = 400V (L1 L2 L3 and Neutral) to the motor. Is this correct ?
  20. Dirty

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,825Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    OMG,... You're right. Of course! UVW are the three AC phases.

The encoder is the cable to the lower right. I will correct it when I get home.

Thanks for checking!
    • Like Like x 1