1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

One Computer to run everything?

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by netwizrm, Sep 19, 2009.

1. netwizrm

netwizrm Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello

I am new member and very new at this, I need some advice on weather one needs two computers to to run a 2DOF Mr. Burns type Sim?

If I have a fast enough computer i.e. Intel 2 Core Duo 3.0Mhz, 4GB. Can I run the game software and x-sim apps, i.e. the profiler, the force-sender, Plugins off the same system?

I this economy I am hoping this is do-able. please advise.

Thanks

Robert
  2. Skaut69

Skaut69 Member

Balance:
    335Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It depends: if you will use it for LFS, Dirt, Race07, GTR thats ok but for new ones like Grid, Dirt 2, Shift, Race On (if we will get plugins for them three last ones) you can get noticeable decrease in time when you play.

Extra hardware works separately from main one and even if it is slower one its run only x-sim software leaving other one to handle a game. Cheap laptop will deal with this.

I have same set up as you but CPU is overcolcked to 4ghz and GPU is Ati Radeon 3870 X2. Everything up to date works perfect - even grid with some details turned off (i do not like the crowd in the game and thats hlep with game speed).

Oh... and one more thing - it is nice to see how x-sim works next to you when you play. You can also make some instant changes.
  3. splendiddd

splendiddd Active Member

CCTV security
    Balance:
    807Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    I have been a xsimmer for 3 days now...
    Converted from frex SCM that i used 2 years, i have to say this rocks, but i too run it on one computer, but mine is not as fast as you guys, intel core 2 duo 6600 2,4 with a Gforce 8800 320 mb with 2 gb of ram.
    Most games work ok, but when i go online on the nordschleife for instance, the motion can't keep up.

I have a spare netbook from asus an eeePC running XP (lite) and a intel 900mhz, it does however have 2 gb of ram.
    Wil this litte notebook work? and does it work with WIFI? or do i have to hook a lan cable to it?

Thanks in advance.

Rob
  4. ebinary

ebinary New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I run fine on a quad core
  5. netwizrm

netwizrm Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  6. netwizrm

netwizrm Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Splendiddd, wireless networking is has always been considered a neat and clean setup, but with every advanced technology comes complexties,

In the market we now have 802.11n technology which is the third-generation of Wi-Fi standards for wireless home networkin a much faster wireless connections over longer distances.but not cost efficent.

802.11g supports 54Mbps divide that by two or actual speed.

Also when dealing with wireless Wi-Fi connections you have to consider WPA and WEP security features, it works well but could get messy.

I am sure the networking portion of your X-Sim setup would work the same wire on not but you need to check forum for more answers.

I hope I didn't talk too much.

Thanks

Robert
  7. netwizrm

netwizrm Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    And you experience no game slowness? And how many Gigs of RAM, What GPU Specs?

Thanks

Robert
  8. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0

In the context of X-Sim, speed of your wireless network is not the concern. Latency is the concern, and even 802.11N introduces far too much latency. Search wireless latency on these forums. Somewhere there is a thread where SirNoName and I discussed this. A graph was made to demonstrate why you should not use wireless networking with X-Sim due to latency.

:cheers:
  9. splendiddd

splendiddd Active Member

CCTV security
    Balance:
    807Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    Thanks guys for clearing things up!

Wireless wil not be a option i guess, is not a big problem, there will stick 2 usb cables out so a network cable is not an issue.
    Anyway i installed xsim on the asus, but it doesn't even fit on the screen :eek: , so i think i stick to my one computer setup for now ;)

Regards,

Rob