1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Scrap yard FFB Wheel/Pedal build.

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Llewelyn, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Llewelyn

Llewelyn Member

IT consultant
    Balance:
    108Coins
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF
    Good day,here I am just posting my FFB wheel and pedals that I built.Actually started with a 4 dof 4motor axis simulator but as I was building it ,realized I need to put a pause on the sim build and build these peripherals first.Didn't think the pause would take MONTHS though:)Anyway have finally so called finished these builds and am now continuing the sim build.
    So started off with a direct wheel ffb build .Used a 17amp 24v 400 watt motor,which I got from a floor polisher which I had actually put aside for my sim build,but the gearbox was damaged,so I thought it would do for this wheel.The motor controller is a ibt7960 chip and used in conjunction with a Leonardo board which I screwed onto a plastic wall plug box for better handling of the wires.The encoder I ordered from china 2000ppi which I fixed onto the back end of the motor by drilling and tapping a bolt which holds a bracket to place the encoder on.For the heat dissipation ,drilled holes into the motor and added a fan.The steering wheel I found at the scrap yard and welded to the motor shaft.Made a bracket to hold the motor in place which is screwed onto a wooden platform.Boxed up the whole unit with some pieces of wood laying around.Will be powering this up with my 12v 85amp car battery.Tried atx pc supplies up till 20amps but they keep tripping,so stuck with batteries for now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now onto my pedals :
    Just used pieces of metal,some square tubing and sheet metal for the pedals and body work.For tension I used normal tension springs and hydraulic springs to give a better feel to the pedals.It is a very solid build and heavy.These pedals have pots on them which I connect to the arduino board located on the steering wheel.
    [​IMG]
    IMG_20190717_072949_resized_20190717_073642393.jpg

Insert:

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. tadope

tadope New Member

Balance:
    81Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Incredible! How much tq? My t300 is only like 50w. It looks like a home make dd wheel. Hows it feel compared to brand wheels?
  3. Llewelyn

Llewelyn Member

IT consultant
    Balance:
    108Coins
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi,I actually have never tried a racing wheel before,just made this out of necessity because of building a motion simulator and needed this for control,was tired of using a keyboard :) The torque I have no idea,the motor is just a 400watt motor 17A/24V.I did make another wheel with a belt and pulley,have to say I felt a immediate difference when I made the direct wheel,it was much more sensitive to ffb.I am busy with a treadmill motor which someone else posted about using.Had one laying around and decided to try it and it is even better,seems to be more powerful and even more sensitive to ffb.I am powering it up with 24v also,thought it would be weak with that amount of voltage,cause when i connect it directly to the 24v power source I can stop the shaft with my hand with no effort,but when I have it connected via the arduino it has so much more power.
  4. tadope

tadope New Member

Balance:
    81Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    so what's required to get this working. you just need a psu, motor, arduino and a control board?
  5. Llewelyn

Llewelyn Member

IT consultant
    Balance:
    108Coins
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yes and an encoder.I used a 2000ppr encoder and the ibt2 motor driver board.Have a look at the pics for directions,also download the wheel config software for setup.

Attached Files:

6. Qlittles

Qlittles Active Member

Balance:
    226Coins
    Ratings:
    +65 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    wow, looks like industrial strength - great job! - i also did a custom dd wheel and pedals
  7. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,875Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    good work! congrats

By the way, what software are you using for the FFB wheel? Did you write it?
  8. Llewelyn

Llewelyn Member

IT consultant
    Balance:
    108Coins
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks!Yes it is very heavy,a bit to heavy for my motion rig though:cool:
  9. Llewelyn

Llewelyn Member

IT consultant
    Balance:
    108Coins
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks.No did not write it,Im using the ai wave software(Wheel config).Still working on the wheel,cause just as I was about to enjoy it,The ibt2 motor driver goes and blow.:(Anyway just waiting for another replacement.
  10. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,875Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
  11. Daud077

Daud077 New Member

Balance:
    82Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Noob question but how does the coupler on the encoder work , I mean iam also building a fbb steering wheel and i want to attach omron 600 ppr encoder to the 10mm steering shaft so should I use 6mm to 10mm coupler to attach the encoder.
    Plz reply