1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

3DOF With DC motors and arduino UNO

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by buzzzzzz, Aug 8, 2019.

1. buzzzzzz

buzzzzzz New Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    41Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    Hello everyone!!!

Finally I start my project. After having searched on forums, watching videos to motivate me, looking for different technical solutions, studying the cost of this project, I chose to build a 3DOF composed of :
    • a structure made of welded metal tube
    • 3 DC motors with Sabertooth controllers
    • an arduino UNO as an interface
    • an essential Steering Wheel
    • a seat.

It will be an ALL mobile because it will be used with a VR headset.
    I think it's already ambitious for a first one.
    I already have my VR headset (HTC VIve), a Thrustmaster steering wheel (RGT Force Feedback Pro Clutch Edition), a good PC, a lot of construction equipment and a strong desire to complete my project. The only unknown will be the time of realization.

To get used to the SIMTOOLs software, I made a reduced model of the project with RC servo and my 3D printer. It uses the techniques that will be used and is still in debug.

Here are some pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    IMG_20190808_213540.jpg

If you are interested in STL files, don't hesitate to ask me, I will make a ZIP that I will add to the post.

This forum is a real source of information and I will not hesitate to ask for help.

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. buzzzzzz

buzzzzzz New Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    41Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    The project takes time,

I used an ARDUINO with XY Joystick Module to move the upper tray. After several hours to find the right source code, it works fine.

I am looking for a 24V DC motor and a power of about 400w with a RV040 gearbox. As soon as I found the right model, I'll buy it.

For this project I will not use the SABERTOOTH controllers but rather the CYTRON MDDS30 controllers (30Amp 7V-35V SmartDrive DC Motor Driver (2 Channels)).

I am making the plans of the model on scale 1. I will post as soon as possible pictures of the construction.

;)
  3. Robbie Teengs

Robbie Teengs RobbieT

Director
    Balance:
    353Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi Buzzzz,
    I'm also in the process of going 3 DOF after having a 2 DOF seat mover for 4 years.
    My previous rig worked excellent with the Sabertooth and the problem was that I would need to purchase another Sabertooth to make the change to 3 DOF.

Currently I am working with a Arduino Uno, Sensor Shield V5.0 and 3x MD13S motor drivers from Cytron. My problem is that there are no wiring diagrams available for this system but I do think I will come right eventually.

Keep us posted on your progress. Good luck
  4. adula

adula New Member

Balance:
    - 64Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hi Buzzzz,
    Would it be possible to get your stl and arduino programe please? thank you and very good work