1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom Treadmill motor belt drive DC OSW

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Matthew turner, Aug 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Matthew turner

Matthew turner New Member

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Hi! I'm Matt.

From the information I have found on this and other forums, I have cobbled together a quite functional belt drive DC OSW with a home made H-Bridge, a salvaged treadmill motor, and an AC stepdown transformer from an arcade game.

I have made a video about the build, but left out a lot of the technical information. I want this thread to be a stub for that information if it is requested.

For now, here is the the video, hopefully I can edit this stub and add some pics once I've had time to figure out posting here.

[​IMG]

20190823_212127.jpg 20190812_214212.jpg 20190821_225351.jpg 20190821_225628.jpg

Components used:
    Motor and pulley set - Salvaged from freebie york 104 treadmill
    Stepdown transfomer - Salvaged from broken arcade cabinet (240VAC in, 120VAC out)
    Controller - MMOS flashed to STM32 Disc1 board, PWM + Dir mode
    Encoder - 2000 P/R chinese omron clone, 8000 PPR, requires pullup resistors to operate as source code for MMOS is secret :(
    Optocoupler - H11L3M logic output, suitable up to 1MHZ. Note : inverts logic and requires pullup resistor not shown in currecnt schematic.
    Bridge driver - IR2184PBF. Allows balanced all N channel bridge and equalizes dead times. Produces high side drive voltage internally with help of capacitor and diode
    Mosfet - FDA38N30. Extreme overkill for this applications, but very cheap as clearance item and can drive large inductance without freewheeling diodes.
    Transistor - BC546, its just flipping the logic back again from the optocoupler. IR2184 has handy intenal pullup on this pin, could be ommited if MMOS code was not secret.
    Gate drive resistors - 2k 1/2w

Other components such as the diode bridge and power caps were salvaged from my junk box. 150VAC metal oxide varistor was installed on transformer secondary (not shown) and a 200V TVSS diode is installed across the motor winding.

All other controls were connected using the diagrams provided for MMOS. Brake seems to interract with accelerator by a couple of percent, but fixed by setting dead zone.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  2. Matthew turner

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    beld = belt. I'm off to a great start o_O
  3. ahoenksiluman

ahoenksiluman Member

Balance:
    89Coins
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    really nice setup...
    how much max electricity consume..??
  4. Matthew turner

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Thankyou!

I did not measure the consumption but estimate it would be up to 1000W at maximum force. I run the force at a total of about 15% so maybe it draws 150w at max force during racing. Probably averages about 50 but this is a big guess :)
  5. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Very cool stuff mate! Have got any schematics for an h-bridge and lign ups with other thingies, or kinda of your project?)
  6. Matthew turner

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I've got to draw the schematics up and figure out image hosting and update the first post.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    That'll be cool, but all is up to you) Thanks!
  8. Matthew turner

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Belt-drive-DC-OSW.png Here is a basic schematic. It's not 100% like this at the moment and I've left some values out, but this is best functional representaion.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Matthew turner

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I've probably made some errors and some of it may be obscure, so ask away :)
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. Matthew turner

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I missed the 12V plug pack than runs the drivers. Apologies, here is the updated schematic. Belt-drive-DC-OSW (1).png
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Cool!
    Actually haven't seen such topology with h-bridge before. Very interesting with pwm+dir mode connections. I mean left side is for dir, and other with pwm. As simply put, generally top are for dir and bottom for pwm are used. That's genius designed you applied here. Nice!
    It's good that mmos allow two dirs also. With arduino, and emc 09, that i use, only one dir pin is there. So an inverter is required. If use that mode.

Thanks Matthew for the info. You driver looks very cool!

P.s.
    Got to tinker mine too... )
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  12. Matthew turner

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I cheated a lot to keep mine as simple as possible, don't think I could achieve a design like yours :). I initally had bot shut down pins connectod to mmos, but i ended up needing more min force than mmos allowed and it was glitchy. When I went to only one side pwm, it worked perfectly. I was dubious about ilusing the shut down pin for pwm initially, but the shudown delay is very very low so it actually works.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    With mine, I just don't want to mess around with IR gate drivers and, don't know, may be not a simple thing too, to make them work, as it looks to me some time ago, and leave all with discrete components. The optos I use there, are not a nice one for out of the hearing rage pwm frequencies . That all worked fine even with simple relay, but that was not enough with high forces, so it begin to "oscillate" in center, with high gain. So got to switch back to mosfets for the bridge itself. And check both methods of control. ) And hope that 4 separate gate drivers, will make some deadtime delays for the mosfets too). So conduct that, "oh again that h-bridge driver facepalm" thread, here ))))

And for now, use IBT2 with some freewheeling diodes and caps. )
  14. Matthew turner

Balance:
    211Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I had to get very good optocouplers to work at 16khz. I tried lower frequencies, which worked well and allowed far less minimum force, but I could not stand the high pitched whine. Most of the parts I used were fairly expensive, so I don't blame you wanting to use discrete components. For me creating a high side driver that worked at 150V was not an option, so that is why I went with the IR2184. The IR2184 also implements matching dead time when switching either direction which is very handy.

I could not use IBT-2 as it cannot handle high voltages - this is the biggest disadvantage of the treadmill motor.
  15. Llewelyn

Llewelyn Member

IT consultant
    Balance:
    108Coins
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF
    Hello,I want to build this hbridge,but Im not the best at electronics,I have attached a picture,is the voltage vdd 150v dc and should it be connected how I did in the picture?Also what is the Resistor values (R1-R5),diode (D1,D2) and C1,C2 etc values...Have you got a exact circuit diagram?Thanks.

Attached Files:

16. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
  17. weld12

weld12 New Member Gold Contributor

Mechanical/technical/engineering/scientific
    Balance:
    215Coins
    Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hello Matt
    Nice controller!

I've been sitting on a small 130v bldc servo motor waiting to find an inexpensive Granite Argon controller.(Does such a thing exist?). STM32f4 disco, 24V DC PSU etc. anyway box of parts for that. I've been told my limitations could be current draw and no MMOS support for BLDC.

So I've got a 90vdc , 1 1/2 HP treadmill motor from a guy at work. To test, I've acquired a KB electronics KBMG 212D from ebay for around $90 USD & the SIMG signal isolator. Thing is it's a pot driven SCR
    with regen.

- maybe out in left field here, but I'm unsure if I can make it play with the disco board PWM, unless I use it as a 90VDC adjustable power supply then build on from there.

- I don't have a scope to watch the waveform (I think SCRs are noisy) lacking a fair bit of knowledge on the subject.
    - Studying your diagram/video help me understand components and their function.:thumbs

Thanks for your contribution to the forum.:)
    note: left field = off-topic

Attached Files:

18. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Matthew turner, can you please make the wheel check step test, and share a file overe here. Very interested in the performance of the base, in some graphs and numbers.
    Thanks.
  19. Chris Malcolm

Chris Malcolm New Member

Balance:
    291Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Hi Matthew,
    Thanks for posting this thread. I started my diy belt drive build about two years ago and I most have gotten through 15+ bts drivers now. I'm seriously considering building my own driver now. I just have a few questions about the drawing that you provided.
    How can I modify this build if I decide to connect it to a larger motor in the future? Add more capacitors?
    Is it ok to build this driver in a breadboard, I can't solder very well.
    On EMCpro utility, there is the option of pwm+1 dir+2. Is this the option I would choose in the software, if used your driver build?

Thanks Chris
  20. tadope

tadope New Member

Balance:
    81Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    why the belt for such a huge motor? why not just direct?