1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DIY FFB Steering wheel (MMosFFB ) (In Progress)

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Alexey, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    May be a motor itself with brushes contacts ets. Don't know. Have you tested with smth else apart of spring test?
  2. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hiya well both Controllers seem to work ( I Think :) 0ne is Leonardo based and the other STM I can run all the tests but my problem is it wold be nice to know what each test was supposed to do ( sortta Text explanation ) but im looking at the wrong places to find this info ... It does Linearity and the steps test ( no Graphs yet im still working that out .. Most You tube stuff does not have test subtitles and being deaf kinda makes it hard to fill in the gaps sometimes )

Encoders seem fine But I only have 4.7K ohm pull ups so maybe I need 10K ... but the trace on my portable scope looked nice and clean and rail to rail so will need to check connections again tomorrow .. Always appreciate feedback excuse the Pun Cheers
  3. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    If your pull ups are from 5v from Arduino and from 3.3v from stm32 too, you should put only 220 ohms only but not 4,7k.
  4. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Wannabeflyer, have a look. https://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/8286-fanatec-review/#comment-75034

Step test kind of checking the speed of wheel with its response on change of direction corresponding to default 300ms signals to turn on both directions. How sharp it reacts etc. How far goes for this time. Depends on wheel base settings also. The force linearity you can find description in link above.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  5. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi @Sieben once again im in your debt sir :) that link content looks like just what I needed so its converted to PDF format for ned time reading ...Yeah sad I know but i'll blame you guys in the nicest way ...Cheers Sieben
    • Like Like x 1
  6. tomthomas21

tomthomas21 New Member

Balance:
    121Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Thank you!
    Good luck with your project! It is very promising.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. nopilpl

nopilpl New Member

Balance:
    213Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Hi
    I want to build steering wheel using arduino leonardo, bts7960, encoder and 775 motor. Everything except force feeddback works. I tried to use old and new ebolzmagy's firmware but FFB in noone works. Do u know why FFB doesnt work? Maybe its motor fault?
  8. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member

Electronics Technician
    Balance:
    8,060Coins
    Ratings:
    +620 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I don't know anything about ebolzmagy's firmware, can you post the guide you used to wire up the system and a photo of your wiring. I can't help without that information.
    One thing I can advise is to double check that you have exactly followed the wiring guide.
  9. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    EMC works fine. You made smth wrong out there. Put the constant slider to max. It do have sense too. But to be clear, we need more information, regarding what Alexey said already)
    Bay the way, what markings does your bts chips have. It must be smth like GAG612. With GAG523 it is not the best one. Also, rotate the wheel while the game loads, to 90 deg both sides. Also you can check does it work ot not using the wheelcheck from iracing. Or simply by checking the soft locks on both sides of the wheel.
  10. nopilpl

nopilpl New Member

Balance:
    213Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    I used this wiring. I tested wheel in iracing and ETS 2 but FFB doesnt work. Yes I have chip GAG523. I double checked everything in wiring. Do I have to buy bts7960 with better chip?

Attached Files:

11. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    The wiring is for new emc, not for the old one,(0.9) if smth too. But might not be the case, if you try both.
    Yes, gag523 is rubbish anyway and should be replaced. So it may be the only reason.May be. Don't give up and continue to make it work.
  12. nopilpl

nopilpl New Member

Balance:
    213Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Unfortunately i couldn't find GAG612, but I found other types of BTS7960 chips:
    -GBK629
    -GAA426
    -GBT827
    Which one should I choose?
  13. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
  14. Chris_Beeves

Chris_Beeves Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF
    I’d take a look at the settings. I had the same problem at first with ebolz firmware, but I had just missed setting the min/max PWM and PWM mode. It can be set in different ways nowadays, make sure you choose PWM+dir (I think). I can check tomorrow if you’d like. Could you post some screen dumps of your settings?
  15. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    No pwm+dir for BTS drivers please o_O (on default)
    Bay the way, reduce the min force(emc 09) to zero. It works vise versa somehow. If it is off, in game there is full ffb.
  16. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yeah, missed a few numbers there. :)

2PWM+1dir is the way to go for BTS.

The min/max force is quite logical.
    Min force sets the minimum pulse width for ffb. It helps compensate sluggish motors. If your wheel doesn’t communicate small details it might be a good idea to set this higher than zero. Mine ended up somewhere around 5% I think. Don’t set it too high though, you’ll lose the details.
    Max force: 100%! (If your rig isn’t “too strong”) ;)
  17. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Bts are used with pwm +/-, no pwm dir. That's another story why to use this mode with bts. ) If anybody required that at all.

No i mean that with emc 09, the old version, if anybody use it, the min force should be 0. Believe, or try yourself, but that's so there. Many, if not all, depends in constant slider. And main gain only. With multipliers to them too)
  18. Chris_Beeves

Balance:
    1,897Coins
    Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    If you just pull EN-pins high the BTS will give you unwanted inertia.
    Connecting them to “dir” pin 8 will make the BTS discharge between each pulse. This will give you the possibility to freewheel and set inertia as you want.
    Just pulling them high is the “old” way.

I believe you 7! Haven’t run the old versions lately..
  19. Sieben

Sieben Active Member

Balance:
    2,216Coins
    Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -0
    Chris, i believe this is not what is called pwm +dir mode, with new emc. Just some extra layout variation to pwm+/- . Pwm&dir has another wiring and even definitions.
  20. elnino

elnino Active Member

Computer Geek
    Balance:
    1,439Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Does anyone know the original (full) source of this image? I can only find it here, cropped...

I have a working MMOs, IBT_2 setup running on a DIYMORE/DIYMROE STM32F4VGT6 board , with the wiring for the 'EN' Pins permanently held high but this means that the motor does not freewheel (effectively the motor is shorted when not being driven, so it creates drag)

All of the other wiring diagrams I can find show it wired like this as 'correct' but I read a post somewhere stating this problem exactly and 'That is the old way to connect' but did not reference the 'new' way.
    From what I can tell, I need the 'H-Bridge' wiring setup with the EN pins wired to PE8/PE10 (PWM 1N/PWM 2N) instead of permanently held high so that it disables the H-Bridge outputs and allows freewheeling. Is that right? Certainly the image here seems to indicate that the EN pins are controlled by the STM32. I don't want to smoke my H-Bridges or motor!
    IBT-2.jpg