1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

AC electric motor controlled belt tension system

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by Delta38, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Delta38

Delta38 New Member

Balance:
    34Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Hello guys,

I would like to make a belt tension system for my rig. Can you tell me if I'm wrong somewhere:

I'm gonna use electric motor for the belts, controller for the electric motor (https://www.hwhardsoft.de/english/simplibox/io/?mobile=1) and Arduino where the SIM software will be like simtools 2.0.im just wondering can I control the electric motor directly from the simtools or should be written software for that (this is not my specialty area, damn)

Belt system is simple, that's why I'm not posting blueprints.

Thanks guys

Choosing the correct electric motor and what type is completely different topic, damn. I think AC brushless
  2. GR88

GR88 Member

M.E Student
    Balance:
    644Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I am also curious what a good motor would be for a tensioner. I've mostly seen people use small ones but I believe @SeatTime said at some point that he used higher powered ones for realism. Maybe he can share the specs of those motors? I would be more inclined to use AC motors for the simplicity but I am not sure if that would be overkill. Hopefully others with experience can chime in.
  3. Ben V

Ben V Member

Balance:
    181Coins
    Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    What draws you to the AC motors?

I know the motor itself is a simpler design, but you'd need a more complex motor driver (more expensive) to provide AC to them.

I'm not sure the Simplibox will do what you're after. All it seems to provide is two relay outputs which would just turn your motors on and off. Typically, you'll want a way to vary the torque applied by the motor, such as a Sabertooth motor driver which uses PWM to vary the output to the motor. A typical system would be:
    1. SimTools outputs axis data to a controller (such as an Arduino)
    2. The controller processes the data to determine how to get to the desired position (usually a PID loop)
    3. The controller commands the motor driver to supply the right amount of current to the motors to approach the desired position
    4. Encoders or potentiometers on the axes provide feed back to the controller to tell it if the system is in the right position, and the PID loop runs again to keep refining it.
    In the case of a belt tension system, applied torque is more important than position. Thus, you probably don't need any position feedback or a PID loop. I'd be inclined to output a current to the motors that is proportional to one side of the surge axis output from SimTools. In that case, the controller is just a means of converting serial data from SimTools into something the motor driver can understand. You may be able to skip the controller if you find a motor driver that can interface directly with SimTools.
  4. Delta38

Delta38 New Member

Balance:
    34Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Sounds very interesting! Do you know any motors that can "talk" with simtools or any of the admins can give an advice. The connection between the simtools and the motor controller is the problem I am having. Thank you in advance

5. Delta38

Delta38 New Member

Balance:
    34Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Problems solved, just have to choose a motors. Any ideas? I'm considering 3. Two for the shoulder harness every one of them works separately, one for lower harneses, none for the one between your legs, you know why