1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Canopy screen rear projection

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by wannabeaflyer, Jul 30, 2009.

1. wannabeaflyer

wannabeaflyer Active Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    :D Hi Guys now this really would complement X-sim :rofl: http://www.frex.com/gp/canopy/canopy_en.html
  2. Amput

Amput New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It looks like half of big cover (radom) wireless antenna :), but price 863€ is crazy.

Size of CanopySCREEN
    Width of arch part 100cm
    Flat edge of width 5cm
    Overall width 110cm

Length of arch 50cm
    Height 27cm

Look at this http://www.jdome.com....2500€ crazy too :)
  3. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    does anyone out there know the principle behind either of these products ?? one is back projected but thats where the magic starts the other may be a short throw projector ?? any takers ?
  4. Amput

Amput New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  5. wannabeaflyer

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    wow big thanks Amput for the pictures .. i take it that the projector is short throw ? is there a link to this post or website ?
  6. Amput

Amput New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Attached Files:

7. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I found this http://thinkoutofbox.com/index.html (1440$ witout projector), so i start looking for mirror if i can get it cheper, luckily i found manufacturer (near my town :D) that sell this http://www.atop.cz/foto_004.htm (quarter ball, 100 cm diameter ) for 105E (150$). That would be great replace for FREX canopy screen if we paint it. Bigger problem would be get small mirror (they only do 60 cm diameter :( )
  8. Skaut69

Skaut69 Member

Balance:
    335Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Every time when i see some advert about any type of curved screens i am pretty sure that even those who are making them doesn`t know how they works.
    Thats what they trying to tell you is that you will be able to see more from the space before you, because of extra view what you will get on the left and right side (even up and down). You are not going to get Any Extra - you will only get illusion of the left and right size (usually corner of your eyes) which you had just flat on the screen before. Curved screen is not changing resolution of a screen it is only giving you same picture what you had on a monitor but in nice surrounded you atmosphere. Only that illusion, given you buy bigger screen and picture around you is worth to purchase this type of screen.

Do not be confused by adverts about wider field of view because it is not gonna happed - projector is throwing his own resolution which is usually smaller (around 1240 x 720) than that on any monitors and canopy or any other screen is not going to change that (it`s technology not miracles).
  9. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Nobody say that, i would like to try it becouse it must get you great impression and it could be better than monitors on whole moving sim.
  10. Skaut69

Skaut69 Member

Balance:
    335Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    On the last picture Amput showed you advert from jDome screen - you can easy see that they trying to put you in the head an idea about larger field of view. Thats what is on the flat monitor doesn`t match projection on canopy screen. I have a question to them - why that is some kind of drawing not original picture. Actually i have seen a movie advert from jDome and they did the same thing - first showing you LCD picture and then some of the canopy screen but nothing about showing them together in action.

Ones again - by crappy projector you are going to get less on the screen then on LCD or TFT. Consider TripleHead2Go. why this is giving you extra field of view - because it works in three times bigger resolution!
  11. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    With render of jDome i can see what you mean (the crane), but i dont argue with you i know you have right and i dont expect from that larger field of view, just better immersion int the game.
    Today it isnt problem build FullHD projector.
  12. Skaut69

Skaut69 Member

Balance:
    335Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I agree with that immersion. It is worth to invest in such screen. But...

I will give you another point - it is about just curved screen. Ours perception in most of cases depends on horizontal view (less vertical). Why to not get really good FullHD projector with extremely bended screen or just like MasterYoda did with TripleHead2Go and tree projectors. They can be cheep ones (HD Ready only) but when connected together you are getting multiplied horizontal resolution! Which is even bigger horizontally than FullHD (smaller vertically but it is always something - Less...).
  13. njracer

njracer Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    we might be able to make a canopy screen. if we can find a transparent plastic and have it molded into the screen shape that we want, we'll be able to apply this http://www.theaterthings.com/store/proj ... tegory.asp to it and turn it into a projection screen.

if enough people are interested, we might be able to get a discount when we get the plastic molded. any of you guys know a spot that will mold plastic?
  14. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  15. CXCSimulations

CXCSimulations Member

Balance:
    - 9Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Polycarbonate makes for a great optical grade thermoplastic. I'd be interested to see how that works.....

I even have a fantastic vacuum form vendor I can recommend. I will tell you though, the mold prices are what kill you.

The mind reels with possibilities though.
    Perhaps a great 1080p projector like this one: http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/09/mits ... for-1-395/
    And this software to fix the distortion: http://immersaview.com/sol7.html
    would be just the ticket
  16. njracer

njracer Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah that looks awesome Chris, how much we talking for the molds?? its that outrageous??

maybe we can come up with something ourselves make the plastic screen?? i have to look into how they do it

hey Chris can we provide our own mold for the project?? what i'm thinking is getting a big beach ball and molding fiberglass or something to it to make the mold. seems like the frex canopy screen is a quarter of a sphere or egg shape, if we applied fiberglass or something to that portion of the beach ball we'd have our mold. if fiberglass isn't suitable for the mold, we can take that fiberglass shell and make a mold out of green sand and metal cast a new mold out of aluminum, what you think? possible to make our own mold for the plastic guy??

btw Chris, have you looked at this projector?? http://www.depthq.com/projector.html its $6,000.00 right now but you know prices will come down soon enough and its 3d ready. can you imagine playing with this on a curved screen?? i think it would be sick granted the sim works well in 3d, but it seems nvidia gave most all the sims excellent score when using their 3d, but from what i've seen, you can't always go by their rating.
  17. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  18. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,541Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    HI NJRACER
    In my shet i'm making recunbents for years now.
    And have something for you that's not gone kill you
    Look @ www.wisil.recumbents.com
    build/tech---hpv design----how to make blown fairings.
    I have seen the proces once, and it's so easy to do
    Make two at one time,and saw a streat line to center.
    Regards Ad
  19. ebinary

ebinary New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    just remember that if you are rear-projecting on a dome the distance-the-light-travels is different for every pixel. That makes focusing and intensity very difficult. If you front project on a dome (which I am doing), the distance-the-light-travels can be more consistent than projecting on a flat screen (depending on the curvature). I bounce off a convex mirror in front of the dome, just above your feet.
  20. njracer

njracer Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks for the info guys, definitely gonna give this a try, have a lot on my plate this month so i'll hopefully start this project early next month. hope all goes well :D